The Student Room Group

Any body else stopped using shampoo?

Hi

I've not washed my hair with shampoo in two weeks. My hair looks and feels great, much fuller, I see no reason for using shampoo if anything it makes hair worse. I ONLY use shampoo if something gets in my hair, i.e if I'm at gig and somebody pours beer on me, I'll use shampoo the day after.

Shampoo is a massive scam and I've found my hair to be much healthier and attractive after not using it.

Note: I'm an 18 year old guy, with short (ish) hair ( Results may vary).
In only use it once a week.
Results may vary indeed. If I tried it I'd look bloody awful. Praise shampoo <3
Reply 3
Look up 'no poo'. Lots of people don't use it, and there's real proof that shampoo actually just dries out your hair. I've been 'no poo' for about a year now and my hair is fine, I wouldn't go back to shampoo.
I'm a female with longish thick hair so I couldn't get away with no shampoo. It'd get all greasy and nasty, eugh.
I couldn't do that. My hair is so rough if I don't shampoo and condition it.

I have to shampoo and condition my hair every day for it to be soft. Otherwise it's not that nice.

Guy with pretty long hair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm ill and haven't shampooed my hair since friday.

It looks disgusting. :yucky:
No- its the conditioner that I don't use as often.
I need to shampoo my hair else it gets greasy and nasty, but I use LUSH Godiva solid shampoo bar- less chemicals, zero packaging and smells fantastic!
My hair gets greasy after a day of not washing, and I've tried the whole washing it less often or not shampooing at all in the past (during holidays when no one could see me) made it worse. Works for some people, others need it.
I'll wash my hair but I've stopped using shampoo to wash my hair, I think my hair seems really healthy like it just feels really really nice, like smooth and soft but also its got a lot of life to it, when I shampoo and condition it it seems to get greasy a day or two after not washing it
I tried 'no poo' over the summer a few years ago. Never again. :yucky:
Original post by naftie
Look up 'no poo'. Lots of people don't use it, and there's real proof that shampoo actually just dries out your hair. I've been 'no poo' for about a year now and my hair is fine, I wouldn't go back to shampoo.

Do u use conditioner/other products?
Reply 13
I knew a girl when I was younger who never used shampoo,just water and conditioner through the length, and her hair never looked greasy. Her hair was very naturally curly and she said it made it more manageable and defined. I tried it myself as mines also naturally curly (although looser than hers) and it looked digusting so I gave up after a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by number23
Do u use conditioner/other products?

Nope, usually just coconut oil on the ends and cocoa powder at the roots as a dry shampoo substitute. I have long, thick curly hair that's naturally greasy at the roots and dry at the ends. I find that not using shampoo has made it less greasy, and if I want I can go 2+ weeks without it looking/smelling bad.

A lot of people here are saying that they can't go more than one day without shampoo, that's because it dries out your hair, so your hair overproduces natural oils to compensate and then it's just a vicious cycle.

'No poo' takes a lot of patience. If it's not working then it's possible what you're doing doesn't work for your hair, and you need a different recipe? Or maybe you have hard water? Or your hair is still adjusting? There are many reasons why it wouldn't work, but only doing it for a week definitely won't work. If you've been doing it for a while and nothing works then you shouldn't feel bad for going back to shampoo, though.

It took months for me to get out the nasty stage, but I don't particularly care about what others think so I didn't mind. The health, environmental and economic benefits outweigh the occasional bad hair day for me :smile:
didn't start in the first place

Quick Reply

Latest