The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History Unit 2 Source based exam

Hello, I am struggling with this unit as I do not know which structure to use when writing my 20 and 40 mark answers. Does anyone know or have any high marked example answers with good structures? Or does anyone have a good template of structure they use every time they write an answer?

By the way I am doing module D2 - Britain and the Nationalist Challenge in India.
Reply 1
I'm struggling too :frown:
I hate source papers and need to resit it now i'm at A2! I cannot explain how horrifically I did on this paper!
I'm using the examiners reports from edexcel as they have exemplar papers in them :biggrin:
Sorry I can't be of much help :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Dudette_xD
I'm struggling too :frown:
I hate source papers and need to resit it now i'm at A2! I cannot explain how horrifically I did on this paper!
I'm using the examiners reports from edexcel as they have exemplar papers in them :biggrin:
Sorry I can't be of much help :frown:

Thats fine, and its good that im not the only one struggling, what units did you in year 12 and what ones u doing in a2?
I did Civil Rights/ Vietnam unit 1 (I got an A in that unit!)
India for Unit 2 (got a U... :frown: )
I did Africa for coursework (I think I did amazingly on that!)
And I'm doing Germany unit 3 (I've been getting Bs on my essays so fingers crossed!!)

My offer for brunel is BBB so I really need to do well in India :frown:
What units are you doing??
Reply 5
I did Civil Rights/ Vietnam unit 1 (I got an A in that unit!)
India for Unit 2 (got a U... :frown: )
I did Africa for coursework (I think I did amazingly on that!)
And I'm doing Germany unit 3 (I've been getting Bs on my essays so fingers crossed!!)

My offer for brunel is BBB so I really need to do well in India :frown:
What units are you doing??

Wow well done on Unit 1 and looks like you are doing well in unit 3 also!
I hope you achieve your offer, whats the degree you want to do?

Well I am in year 12 now for Unit 1 I am doing Russia and obviously for Unit 2 I am doing India also. I think next year we are doing Civil Rights for either the coursework or one of the units I don't really know!

I am doing okay realistically in both Russia and India, but I am better in Russia.
I would've loved to do Russia!! How're you finding it?
I find India really hard because of having to depend on the sources :frown: I'm better at free writing!
Have you thought about what you wanna do at Uni? Because India is one of the choices for my modules (not that I will be choosing it...) xD
Reply 7
I would've loved to do Russia!! How're you finding it?
I find India really hard because of having to depend on the sources :frown: I'm better at free writing!
Have you thought about what you wanna do at Uni? Because India is one of the choices for my modules (not that I will be choosing it...) xD

Hey, russia is quite interesting I definitely prefer it to India. I am wanting to do Maths at Uni haha, History is my second choice but I really havent looked into it that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry for the late reply!
Howre you getting on?
Im like 100% sure I'm gonna fail this paper, it's weeks away and nothing is going in!!
Hope you're feeling a bit more confident now! :smile:
Reply 9
Sorry for the late reply!
Howre you getting on?
Im like 100% sure I'm gonna fail this paper, it's weeks away and nothing is going in!!
Hope you're feeling a bit more confident now! :smile:

Hey! I am feeling ok but still not confident havent really had time to practice any questions other than in class. My teacher is a bit all over the place, it seems she doesnt know how to explicitly structure an answer as when I ask her she just says keep doing what you are doing. I am getting consistent Bs but would love to get an A as history is my second fave subject. I havent had time to do much own knowledge but own knowledge is only 24/60 marks in the exam, so it is mainly exam technique and source analysis. What topic are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ben4
Hello, I am struggling with this unit as I do not know which structure to use when writing my 20 and 40 mark answers. Does anyone know or have any high marked example answers with good structures? Or does anyone have a good template of structure they use every time they write an answer?

By the way I am doing module D2 - Britain and the Nationalist Challenge in India.

Hey, I do AS Edexcel History:

Unit 1D - Stalin's Russia and Mao
Unit 2D - Britain and the Nationalist Challenge

For unit 2, there's a very clear structure:

Intro:

- Explain key words or characters from the question.
- Give your opinion on the question.
- Link immediately to a source (and quote).

1st paragraph (point 1)

- Why some might disagree with your view
- Link to sources
- Counter with your view
- Link to sources

Repeat for another 2 points.

Conclusion:

- Summarise your points.
- Reiterate your opinion.
- Link to sources.

Here are some examples of my essays.

"Gandhi"
34 marks

"40 Marker History Jake"
36 marks

(attached are my essays)

Hope I helped
Original post by jake4198
Hey, I do AS Edexcel History:

Unit 1D - Stalin's Russia and Mao
Unit 2D - Britain and the Nationalist Challenge

For unit 2, there's a very clear structure:

Intro:

- Explain key words or characters from the question.
- Give your opinion on the question.
- Link immediately to a source (and quote).

1st paragraph (point 1)

- Why some might disagree with your view
- Link to sources
- Counter with your view
- Link to sources

Repeat for another 2 points.

Conclusion:

- Summarise your points.
- Reiterate your opinion.
- Link to sources.

Here are some examples of my essays.

"Gandhi"
34 marks

"40 Marker History Jake"
36 marks

(attached are my essays)

Hope I helped

Oh thats brilliant thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys anyone doing Unit 2 Early Modern British Hisotry: Henry viii, Nation, Religion and Authority?
How are you getting on with that? Do you have any predictions and what do you think might come up?
Thankyou
How did everyone do on the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Got a B (41/60 in the actual exam) and a B in the other history exam (The origins of the British Empire inc The abolition of the slave trade etc) i really want an A, do you think I should re-sit to get higher? thanks!!!
Sadly I got a D - 58/100 ums, might send for a remark!

Posted from TSR Mobile
@98emma Definitely resit, I got a U last year but got full marks this year :smile:
That along side my A in my other AS unit meant I got an A at a2 in history
It doesnt take long to relearn either, Just takes patience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
@Dudette_xD yeah I might re-sit one module and attempt to get an A, which should help me in A2. it's just so difficult to get your essays so perfect!!!!:frown:
It really is! It took so long for me to grasp the technique - Germany was much worse though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending