The Student Room Group

Why do some friends not introduce you to their friends?

A few people who I like to class as friends are like this. For instance, recently I've been talking to a guy & planning to meet up for a day/night out & I asked him "have you got any friends that would be interested as well?" He was like you well you wouldn't like to meet my guy friends, they're quite boisterous & you'd probably be intimidated by them, you'd be better off interacting with my girl friends but then since you struggle to talk to girls that probably isn't ideal either" :erm:

For me I felt a bit annoyed really. I think you at least need to give me an opportunity to meet them, then who knows I might get along with them quite well & develop a strong bond with them? What do you think? I'd like to have quite a few opinions on this matter, thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No seriously get a life...
Duuuuuuude!!! Seriously you're killing me, just ignore his comments if you go out with the guy on a night out you don't need him to introduce you to his friends. Introduce yourself and be confident
Original post by Mary562
No seriously get a life...
Charming...
Reply 4
Who's he to say how you'll be with them?
Coz they think ur a nob.
Reply 6
I wouldn't know anything about this. I don't have any friends, neither do my imaginary friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Who's he to say how you'll be with them?
I think he might be a bit afraid that they'd get too close to me really & in turn give less attention to him?

Original post by green.tea
Coz they think ur a nob.

Well they'd need to get to know me first :smile:

Original post by Icebaker
I wouldn't know anything about this. I don't have any friends, neither do my imaginary friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry to hear that, I'll be your friend aha :hugs:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Multitalented me
I think he might be a bit afraid that they'd get too close to me really & in turn give less attention to him?

That's nothing you can be blamed for. But that does sound like a likely reason.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
That's nothing you can be blamed for. But that does sound like a likely reason.
Yeah exactly, I might be a little bit quieter but I met some of his mates before playing Cricket & feel that I can more than hold my own around them :smile: I wouldn't purposely intend to make them spread apart from him or anything :erm:

Well they'd need to get to know me first :smile:

I'm sorry to hear that, I'll be your friend aha :hugs:

OMG i JUST MADE A FRIEND OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH

Posted from TSR Mobile
OMG i JUST MADE A FRIEND OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH

Posted from TSR Mobile
My pleasure :hat2: How old are you by the way? Are you studying/working right now? :smile:
My pleasure :hat2: How old are you by the way? Are you studying/working right now? :smile:

Hi I'm 23, I'm still stuck at uni unfortunately. Btw, to address the topic of this thread...at least it's a good thing that you have the chance to do something and spend time with a mate, there could be any number of reasons why he didn't invite his other friends along

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I'm 23, I'm still stuck at uni unfortunately. Btw, to address the topic of this thread...at least it's a good thing that you have the chance to do something and spend time with a mate, there could be any number of reasons why he didn't invite his other friends along

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh what a coincidence I'm 23 too! :badger: Ah I see, what do you study out of interest? :smile: Yeah I suppose, although it won't help me to expand my social circle. At the moment my best bet is definitely the volunteering that I've just started, I've met up with a few other people but sadly as of yet haven't properly met many of their friends for any prolonged period of time :erm:
I think the fact that you use terms like "develop a strong bond" indicates you're probably better off with his female friends.
Oh what a coincidence I'm 23 too! :badger: Ah I see, what do you study out of interest? :smile: Yeah I suppose, although it won't help me to expand my social circle. At the moment my best bet is definitely the volunteering that I've just started, I've met up with a few other people but sadly as of yet haven't properly met many of their friends for any prolonged period of time :erm:

I PMd you, don't really wanna write it here :smile: I know how difficult it is, but you know, maybe it's not the best idea to do stuff (eg things like volunteering) for the sole purpose of meeting new friends. I think, the best thing to do is to be friendly and sociable and all that good stuff, and don't put too much effort into making friends! You sound like a decent lad and I'm sure eventually you'll have a good social circle, I'm sure you've heard it all before, but these thing take time. And remember, circumstances change as you progress through life and start working and all that, stay optimistic and don't lose hope and just take it easy, and you've always got TSR for when you're bored :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I PMd you, don't really wanna write it here :smile: I know how difficult it is, but you know, maybe it's not the best idea to do stuff (eg things like volunteering) for the sole purpose of meeting new friends. I think, the best thing to do is to be friendly and sociable and all that good stuff, and don't put too much effort into making friends! You sound like a decent lad and I'm sure eventually you'll have a good social circle, I'm sure you've heard it all before, but these thing take time. And remember, circumstances change as you progress through life and start working and all that, stay optimistic and don't lose hope and just take it easy, and you've always got TSR for when you're bored :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, & it's definitely not the sole reason I did volunteering aha :smile: I'm sure I'll meet the right people soon I just haven't had enough self-confidence to put myself in the positions. The few people I do know think I'm nice enough & good person to have a laugh with although I can apparently be quite immature & insecure (surprise, surprise :tongue:). I will reply to your PM in a bit :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs:

Im sure you have a few :smile:
You're 23? Honestly? And asking questions like this?

But on a more helpful note, it's not really a big deal. Just because someone has their friends doesn't mean they need to introduce you to anyone. They're not obliged to do it and it's not rude if they don't do it.
I think it's really interesting that you think you might end up as better friends with his friends than you are with him. My first impression was that because you're quiet and he actually gave you reasons why you might not be suitable with his friends that he doesn't think you'll get on that well with them. If you believe you might be then be persistent, but he actually told you why and I don't think he was lying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending