The Student Room Group

deja vu?

i keep getting really strong deja vu when im at school. it started when i came back after the summer holidays and even more when i came back after christmas.
these deja vus are not nice to experience. if they are of nice memories, say when i was younger and less worried about everything, they have a sort of a dark tinge, as i feel like such an idiot for ever being so hopeful and happy and naive, and i feel sorry for my past self knowing that she will become me.
many of them are triggered by smells - the happy-ish ones are often triggered the smell of weather - in autumn the air got this really lovely fresh smell, and it reminded me of being a kid starting year 7 in september, and it just made me feel sad. the ones after christmas are mostly caused by the smell of the classrooms. one of my first lessons back in january was in this classroom which has a really distinctive smell, and it was also my classroom last year for AS. I smelt it and i got stuck in this horrible loop of being in year 12 and having to do it all again and it was like i got stuck. it happens really often now. they generally make me feel confused and down and hopeless, and its really frustrating that i only seem to feel sad when i remember happier times. some are so bittersweet when i remember being happy and i try so hard to stay in the deja vu and work out what i was doing that made me feel that way so i can do it again but it just goes immediately.
i have no idea what im expecting people to say, maybe if anybody knows if theres a way to stop them? or maybe im just venting.
I'm not a trained professional and I'm afraid I don't know how to stop them. Maybe it was triggered because you are in your last year of school and subconsciously thinking about the future...idk wish I had some answers. It's okay to vent and let your emotions out though. Sorry this hasn't been that helpful but I wanted to respond. Best wishes :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lavidastudent
I'm not a trained professional and I'm afraid I don't know how to stop them. Maybe it was triggered because you are in your last year of school and subconsciously thinking about the future...idk wish I had some answers. It's okay to vent and let your emotions out though. Sorry this hasn't been that helpful but I wanted to respond. Best wishes :smile:

thank you
I had deja vu all the time, sometimes I had deja vu where it was on a loop so I'll get deja vu and then a second later I get another deja vu again from a different source and I'm like wtf. However, I got it mostly when I was still at school. And also deja vu that relates to your childhood is most likely nostalgia (your mind associates the smell/object as something that happened positively in the past, possibly your childhood - you just think it is your childhood). I got this a lot too, I remember smelling a new soap that my dad bought and smelt the soap and instantly believe that I smelled this 'smell' from my childhood but couldn't remember where I smelt it from and I always felt really frustrated. It's like waking up from your sleep and forgetting what you dreamt about. I also used to get deja vu in my sleep, where you have dreams that you think have occurred before but you aren't sure (not to be confused with repetitive dreams - I don't get that).

As you can see I have had deja vu quite severely and I think it is due to stress at school or you are worrying about something or if you have suffered some form of anxiety. It causes your mind to race a lot. Sometimes you may not realise that you are extremely stressed, that it's become the norm for you because you are at school worrying about exams and homework, but remember to always relax from time to time and not to worry too much. School made me really stressed, and now I can't remember when the last time I had deja vu.

Hope that helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest