The Student Room Group

Studying A-levels NEED HELP!

Hi.

Right, so long story short I'm in year 12 studying for AS levels and I've changed my subjects multiple times and as a result I have to re-sit year 12 in September meaning I have to stay until Year '14'.

Only when I choose the subjects I want to study in September (Biology, R.E, BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Double Sport and possibly Maths). Those subjects would be best for the degree I wish to study (Sport and Exercise Science focusing on Human Nutrition).

Now to the question, Do you have any advice on how I can minimise the chances of me procrastinating and getting distracted in terms of getting home from school and efficiently revising from 4-9...? Obviously a 5 minute break every 20 minutes. This is because I know I will find Biology very difficult but with the right effort I believe I can get a B maybe an A.

Thank you in advance (any more information needed just ask) :biggrin:
Reply 1
Don't take a break every 20 mins! every 50 or 40 is better!
Original post by laur a
Don't take a break every 20 mins! every 50 or 40 is better!

Thank you, we had a guy come in and talk about it 20 minutes but that time flies. Do you have any recommendations on how long to study each subject for per night or should I just do one subject a day ? Thank you again :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'm in year 12 too and I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE so heres some examples of what I did/am doing.
- make a timetable like right now and stick to it. I made one for my GCSE in Feb half term that saw me all the way to the end of my exams. It was daily and had an hour and a half slots. After a hour and a half id have a 10/ 20 min break or 40 mins for lunch and tea. I would do two or three subjects a day but now we only do 4 i'd do 2 subjects a day.
- Make resources for your exams now, you should have already done some/most of them. I do revision cards for business, bio and geo and posters for maths. Actually put the posters up aswell, I have mine by my bed so I read them before I sleep.
- Don't waste time. I've got really into this game called bloons td5 due to my business studies teacher showing us it, ugh, and its so distracting but everytime i wanna go on it I say stop, you'll loose half a grade for that. Hahah just be really strict and you'll be fine.

Also, I see that you do biology. Have you done your internal assessments yet?
Original post by laur a
I'm in year 12 too and I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE so heres some examples of what I did/am doing.
- make a timetable like right now and stick to it. I made one for my GCSE in Feb half term that saw me all the way to the end of my exams. It was daily and had an hour and a half slots. After a hour and a half id have a 10/ 20 min break or 40 mins for lunch and tea. I would do two or three subjects a day but now we only do 4 i'd do 2 subjects a day.
- Make resources for your exams now, you should have already done some/most of them. I do revision cards for business, bio and geo and posters for maths. Actually put the posters up aswell, I have mine by my bed so I read them before I sleep.
- Don't waste time. I've got really into this game called bloons td5 due to my business studies teacher showing us it, ugh, and its so distracting but everytime i wanna go on it I say stop, you'll loose half a grade for that. Hahah just be really strict and you'll be fine.

Also, I see that you do biology. Have you done your internal assessments yet?

Thank you very much!!!!

I'm not doing Biology this year I've chose to do it next year when I re-do year 12. I pretty much messed up this year... BIG TIME! I'm just trying to be seriously prepared for September and make the right choice this time.
you don't actually have to re-do year 12 if you are interested in human nutrition you can apply for a foundation degree in science at uni which can help you get on a human nutrition course the following year.
Hi Ryan, my name is Emelia and I was studying A-Levels at my local post 16 centre. At first I found it tricky to adjust and found myself always procrastinating and never really revising up until I realised the sheer volume of work that comes with doing A-levels. Like you I took a subject which I had little interest in and found it difficult to concentrate and put the effort into that subject. However, I came out with some create grades and shocked my teachers as I had exceeded my predicted grades.

Now I am thinking of offering students guidance and help when it comes to coping with A-levels, how to revise effectively and get the grades that you want as well as trying to fit all of your work into your daily life. If you would like me to provide you with some support and guidance and help you through this year to try and achieve the grades you want I will do. Would you be interested? I have recently helped a friend who is currently in year 12 with her A-levels and she is now achieving high grades in her mock exams.

Please let me know if you would like some help as I would be willing to help you so that you can get the most out of your A-Levels. I look forward to hearing from you.

Emelia
Original post by emeliajadepenny
Hi Ryan, my name is Emelia and I was studying A-Levels at my local post 16 centre. At first I found it tricky to adjust and found myself always procrastinating and never really revising up until I realised the sheer volume of work that comes with doing A-levels. Like you I took a subject which I had little interest in and found it difficult to concentrate and put the effort into that subject. However, I came out with some create grades and shocked my teachers as I had exceeded my predicted grades.

Now I am thinking of offering students guidance and help when it comes to coping with A-levels, how to revise effectively and get the grades that you want as well as trying to fit all of your work into your daily life. If you would like me to provide you with some support and guidance and help you through this year to try and achieve the grades you want I will do. Would you be interested? I have recently helped a friend who is currently in year 12 with her A-levels and she is now achieving high grades in her mock exams.

Please let me know if you would like some help as I would be willing to help you so that you can get the most out of your A-Levels. I look forward to hearing from you.

Emelia

Hi Emelia, I would really appreciate your help. It sounds great what you're doing.

Are you at university or didn't you go? or was it a while ago you did your A-levels?
Original post by Ryan Griffiths
Hi Emelia, I would really appreciate your help. It sounds great what you're doing.

Are you at university or didn't you go? or was it a while ago you did your A-levels?

I decided against carrying on to uni and so instead I am now a director of a company and looking to start my own social enterprise. I did my as levels last year so my experiences are very recent.

I'm glad you would like my help! If you could provide me with your email address or if you prefer I can give you mine and I will work with you on there the help you revise in the best way I can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending