The Student Room Group

Do GCSEs or even A-level have any value besides getting into uni?

I dont think so tbh and feel abit cheated. Neither will land you a job and seeing though you can get all F grades at GCSE, you can still just do an access course or a BTEC and get into uni. Granted you wont become a Doctor but it really isnt as important as it was made out when I was in school. If I had known about acess courses back then I wouldnt have even turned up. I got mainly B grades and the odd C in subs like religious studies but still put As on my CV.. makes no difference. So to conclude school is overrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
From my current experience in my gap year. GCSE and GCE A levels are useless apart from getting you into further education such as university. Employers don't give a damn about them.
Reply 2
Original post by Rugar Rell
I dont think so tbh and feel abit cheated. Neither will land you a job and seeing though you can get all F grades at GCSE, you can still just do an access course or a BTEC and get into uni. Granted you wont become a Doctor but it really isnt as important as it was made out when I was in school. If I had known about acess courses back then I wouldnt have even turned up. I got mainly B grades and the odd C in subs like religious studies but still put As on my CV.. makes no difference. So to conclude school is overrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSEs/Btecs and A-Levels/Btecs enable you to go to uni or get a job. I just left college last year (not sure whether I'm going to uni or not) and went a couple of job interviewers (for retail jobs) where both interviewers asked me about my education and grades. One of the interviewers said I had good friends and was impressed and the other took an active interest in them and asked how well I did. I got the job in my second interview and I would have got the first job but the guy said he didn't think I would be a good fit for the company because of my personality. If I got **** grades in school and in college or didn't have them I don't think I would have got my job.
Reply 3
Original post by Raymat
From my current experience in my gap year. GCSE and GCE A levels are useless apart from getting you into further education such as university. Employers don't give a damn about them.

Which jobs? I went for two entry level retail jobs and both seemed to care about my grades and my education. And the company I work for seem to employ a lot of people who go to uni or who are students actively studying and this seems to be the case with of a lot of these retail companies.
Well yeah because they teach you important lessons. + School/ College isn't all about academic, it's partly to do with communication, team work, team management, attendance/punctuality and time management.
Reply 5
Original post by RFUR1
Which jobs? I went for two entry level retail jobs and both seemed to care about my grades and my education. And the company I work for seem to employ a lot of people who go to uni or who are students actively studying and this seems to be the case with of a lot of these retail companies.

Well if you have little work experience they will obviously focus on your academic grades. I seriouslu doubt they would land anyone a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Well if you have little work experience they will obviously focus on your academic grades. I seriouslu doubt they would land anyone a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How old are you? What is your education background (do you have any GCSEs, A-levels, degree and are your grades good)? What job do you have?

So why are you asked to list them on your CV or an application form? Of course if you have enough experience then your experience can sort of 'over-shadow' your grades and education but many people around my age 20s (which is the sort of age I assuming OP is around) don't have that sort of experience. The competition for jobs is so high that grades and experience can sway things in your favour. If you have decent-good grades it indicates that you can actually be bothered to do work and learn (which is what employers are looking for), put in effort, motivate yourself to do well etc.
Reply 7
Original post by RFUR1
How old are you? What is your education background (do you have any GCSEs, A-levels, degree and are your grades good)? What job do you have?

So why are you asked to list them on your CV or an application form? Of course if you have enough experience then your experience can sort of 'over-shadow' your grades and education but many people around my age 20s (which is the sort of age I assuming OP is around) don't have that sort of experience. The competition for jobs is so high that grades and experience can sway things in your favour. If you have decent-good grades it indicates that you can actually be bothered to do work and learn (which is what employers are looking for), put in effort, motivate yourself to do well etc.

I am the OP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

LOL at myself. My original answer to you still stands, just assume that I made the comment to someone else whose opinion is similar to yours.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by RFUR1

Dont expect me to respond to your questions if you are going to ask questions which I have put answers to in my original post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they do have an affect on your future, but it depends what job you apply for. Granted work experience is more valuable in the working word generally, but you have to start somewhere. If I were an employer and I had two applicants for a job in a hypothetical situation both with the same degree and result. If you both had no work experience I would be more inclined to choose the applicant with the qualifications. Unless you had something unique about you. So yeah, they do affect your future. But ultimately it depends on the job you apply for.
Several jobs do require workers to have a minimum grade for certain subjects. I know many employers that ask for minimum C regarding maths GCSE, for instance. Lots of job adverts state they want a minimum number of UCAS points too. Your GCSE and a level grades can help you get a job, as well as getting in to uni, and subjects such as ICT are so useful when you want to bag that office job and illustrate that you're efficient with using computers. Even after your degree, you can refer back to GCSE and a level subjects you studied to help you secure work. By studying GCSEs and a levels, you find out what you like and what you're good at. You also gain a great sense of achievement when you do well. Don't feel like GCSEs and a levels are a waste of time, someone could say that about university after getting that dream job. GCSEs and a levels are the building blocks to reaching where we want to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending