The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fizzel
Are you suggesting FSG wouldn't have held firm on Sterling if his agent hadn't acted this way? He's put massive pressure on Liverpool, he's alerted the whole of the PL and Europe to Sterling's possible availability and contractual situation. Has he strengthened his hand in any negotiations or weakened it, I think he's certainly strengthened it. The only argument you could have for it being weakened is damage to club relations, which assumes him or Sterling has the intention to stay at Liverpool, if he doesn't then who cares, and he's certainly not past the point of no return anyway.

Also I'd question how FSG held firm, bottom line is Suarez was sold 1 year after the issues arose. I think Suarez quite clearly forced that move against FSG's wishes.

Sterling's not in a position to go on strike yet, though, because he hasn't achieved anything. So, FSG will get two more years out of him regardless of Ward's actions.
Original post by llys
Well that's quite similar to what I'm saying: It's the player, not the agent, who sets the agenda.

Well the agent isn't stupid enough to force a move to a guy like Chamberlain because he knows at this moment in time Arsenal is the best possible club he could play for. He realises that's not the case for Sterling and Berahino, so even if their development is best suited for them to stay at their club they decide not to because the guy wants a quick buck.

I'd say it's 50-50 between player wishes and agent wishes, but the agent is definitely a cancer. Get rid of him and you'll have a much less frictional dressing room in Liverpool.
Couldn't Sterling just buy out the final year of his contract, which would force Liverpool into selling him this summer? He's one of the lowest paid players at the club and he'll no doubt receive a whopping sign on fee from whichever club wants to sign him.

To be honest i'm very surprised that he wasn't given an improved contract at the end of last season. There were lots of rumours about it in the press but I don't recall an offer ever actually being made? He'd surely have signed then.
Original post by Mackay
Sterling's not in a position to go on strike yet, though, because he hasn't achieved anything. So, FSG will get two more years out of him regardless of Ward's actions.
Well assuming they let him walk for a free then yes. If they aren't willing to prep facility for someone else's £30m+ asset he'll have to be sold in 1 year or less. You'd also have the possible indignity of him in a United shirt if they took that option.

I also wouldn't take FSG's statements or Rodgers as word on the matter if you listen to what was being said around the times of the Suarez deal, they were saying things they clearly knew were not the case as to the strength of their position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fizzel
Well assuming they let him walk for a free then yes. If they aren't willing to prep facility for someone else's £30m+ asset he'll have to be sold in 1 year or less. You'd also have the possible indignity of him in a United shirt if they took that option.

I also wouldn't take FSG's statements or Rodgers as word on the matter if you listen to what was being said around the times of the Suarez deal, they were saying things they clearly knew were not the case as to the strength of their position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wouldn't be letting him go for free, though, because if he goes as a free agent it would be before his 23rd birthday, and Liverpool would get compensation and could even force a tribunal if he moves to another PL club.
Original post by sr90

To be honest i'm very surprised that he wasn't given an improved contract at the end of last season. There were lots of rumours about it in the press but I don't recall an offer ever actually being made? He'd surely have signed then.

This surprised me too. I just assumed that he was on a long term deal.
Original post by llys
Apparently Ward also represents Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Arsenal don't have a problem with him. Do I think that disproves your theory? No. I think: who would want to play for WBA?

It looks to me like this agent likes talented players, and some of these players naturally have ambitions which do not match their clubs', neither of which is suggesting to me that the agent is pulling the strings. Of course he might, but that's like saying these players are as dumb as puppets with no ambitions of their own and little understanding of their professional situation. I just don't buy that at all.

Give it time and then I'm sure we'll hear issues about AOC too - whether it be because he wants to move to a bigger club or because he wants to move for more game time.

There's a difference between acting on your client's interests and making a media circus around yourself - most agents stay out of the limelight (how many other agents can you name?).
Original post by Mackay
It wouldn't be letting him go for free, though, because if he goes as a free agent it would be before his 23rd birthday, and Liverpool would get compensation and could even force a tribunal if he moves to another PL club.
How much is that going to be though? We got 300k for Pogba for compensation for training costs and such. The point was, are FSG in a position where they can just let him leave for essentially free. Even if it were £3-5m, that is not going to go far in replacing him, its not comparable to the transfer fee that could extracted from City or Arsenal? What basis would there be for a tribunal at the moment?

Original post by jam277
I think its difficult especially for a player like Sterling if there is uncertainty. With Suarez and the unsure status of Liverpool in the CL I'm not sure he would have signed so easily. He's English and at Liverpool so if the situation at Liverpool deteriorated, he's either got to go abroad or hope for a massive offer to come in from one of the PL clubs. In the same way many Spurs players basically price themselves out of PL moves if they have strong contracts. Unless big money is offered, he'd be better to sit tight.
Original post by jam277

Well it would have been 3 years left at the time, however surely his performances in the second half of last season should have been rewarded with a pay rise? He's only on 35k which is nothing for a top six first XI player really, there are players in the Championship earning that. It's always a risk putting young players on huge salaries, but if there was a contract offer on the table in May/June last year I have no doubt he'd have signed even if it was for 50k.
Original post by sr90

It's amazing in hindsight, isn't it?

It's symptomatic of last summer that none of our squad were given benefits of the great season they had. FSG seemed intent on replacing Suarez blindly, without actually tying down our best players for the next few years.

We used to hear it when Gerrard or Carragher signed a new contract in the summer. Rick Parry would trot out the well-worn line of 'this is our best signing of the summer'. Now, that doesn't happen. It's a shame.
Original post by Mackay
It's amazing in hindsight, isn't it?

It's symptomatic of last summer that none of our squad were given benefits of the great season they had. FSG seemed intent on replacing Suarez blindly, without actually tying down our best players for the next few years.

We used to hear it when Gerrard or Carragher signed a new contract in the summer. Rick Parry would trot out the well-worn line of 'this is our best signing of the summer'. Now, that doesn't happen. It's a shame.

To be honest we've been terrible with securing players contracts as well, De Gea being the obvious example. We should have given him a new contract the summer Fergie left. Smalling is another one, he's had an outstanding breakthrough season and could easily have forced our hand into selling him this summer had we failed to make the top four. Then there's Pogba...

You've tied Ibe and Coutinho down at least. Flanagan should still get a new deal even though he's injured?
Original post by sr90
To be honest we've been terrible with securing players contracts as well, De Gea being the obvious example. We should have given him a new contract the summer Fergie left. Smalling is another one, he's had an outstanding breakthrough season and could easily have forced our hand into selling him this summer had we failed to make the top four. Then there's Pogba...

You've tied Ibe and Coutinho down at least. Flanagan should still get a new deal even though he's injured?

Flanagan got 12 month extension contract the other day, same time as Ibe.
Original post by mr tim
Flanagan got 12 month extension contract the other day, same time as Ibe.

Ahh that makes sense, 12 months to see how he recovers. It would have been incredibly harsh to release him.
The issue with handing out contracts last summer was them essentially benefitting from Suarez's great work. Lets not forget that last summer Sterling still had 3 years left on his contract; it was nothing urgent. Giving Sterling a 70k contract on the back of 6 good months is questionable from a management perspective; though obviously I'm Sterling's biggest fan, have vouched for him for ages, and would easily have given him a new contract, myself. If he leaves this summer it's not the end of the world; £30m+ to spend on a striker. Our best spell this season came when he was the striker, and there's a clear upgrade possible on him in that role. Markovic, Ibe, Lallana are his replacements at AM; I'd bet on at least one of them coming good last year. What we miss out on is a talent that will dominate the PL in years to come, but I guess we can't do much about that any more.

The under the radar threat to us right now is Sakho only having 2 years left on his. We need to get that sorted ASAP.
Reply 5154
Original post by Zerforax
Give it time and then I'm sure we'll hear issues about AOC too - whether it be because he wants to move to a bigger club or because he wants to move for more game time.

Oh yes, I'm sure we will. When he wants to leave, he will make it obvious. Though I hope he will be classier about it than Sterling. But who knows.

Original post by Zerforax
There's a difference between acting on your client's interests and making a media circus around yourself - most agents stay out of the limelight (how many other agents can you name?).

I agree, it's unprofessional on the agent's part; he could just contact clubs behind the scenes to do his job or do a professional press release. (NB: None of that shows that he turned Sterling against Liverpool or that Sterling is following his lead in this instead of the other way round.) But your last point is quite interesting. I can't name any other agents. But I can name a lot of players who kicked up a fuss to force a move. I don't remember agents being blamed for Suarez, or van Persie, or Fabregas, or whoever. There was a bit of noise about Rooney's agent at some point, but even then nothing to this extent. I think it's quite patronising (towards Sterling) in a way. But it doesn't really matter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Rafa hot favourite to be Madrid manager. Delighted for him, but he's got a thankless task. My head says support Rafa next year, but the heart wants Suarez to take the league by storm.

LOL, read this as Paolo Nutini and was very confused...

I blame revision making my brain fuzzy :yawn:
Any idea on who Liverpool transfer targets are/areas need strenghting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midnight1811
Any idea on who Liverpool transfer targets are/areas need strenghting

Posted from TSR Mobile

RB, CDM/CM, ST

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest