The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by KFC Buffet
I don't know why this is so unbelievable, we played 3-4-1-2 for a few months last year too.

Rodgers has always been flexible with his formations.

I didn't ever see us having two players comfortable enough to play in a back-three with footballing ability, let alone three. Sakho has always been a great ball-playing centre-half, but last year we were leaking goals and I didn't expect we'd have the solidity to play with three at the back unless we strengthened significantly. Can has been a revelation I didn't see coming, and Skrtel seems to have shored up since last season where he was woefully bad at the back (Hull, Palace away) and impressive going forward (Cardiff away, Arsenal at home).
Original post by Dprince
By all means lads, and this is a reply to both of you, his performances justify that kind of money (assuming we're all happy with the amount footballers are paid in general). However, it's more of a case of longevity rather than trying to just save a few bucks. What we don't want is to give him silly money for him to go on a gambling streak, a drug streak, an alcoholic streak, and to think he can rule the word. Let me be categorical, I don't think he would and the above is by no means my opinion of the situation, but I know that that's what they're trying to preclude. It's about conserving the talent for the future. My suggestion would be to provide some sort of financial aid for Sterling and perhaps some sort of savings account. Maybe keep his wages stagnant but add the extra £70k/pw (He's on £35k atm) in to savings accounts that he can access when he's 25? That's probably on the more harsh end of the spectrum, but some sort of financial aid is what these young players need.

I think that's quite ridiculous tbh. He's been on 35k for two years now and we've seen no evidence of any kind of gambling or drug streak, or ego trip. We've seen a young player who is completely in tune with his manager and is mature, and hard working.

I don't think that is actually what they're trying to preclude. He's not that young and he's not that youth.

What they're really trying to avoid is the £10m extra cost of giving him 80k as opposed to 120k over a 5 year contract.
Original post by jam277
:sogood:

Ain't been many big game thrashings this season. To the point that people are hyping wins by 2 goal score lines. Mou needs to stop pussying out in big games and just aim to thrash the opposition.

There were too many last season, it was unnatural.

Don't put it past our front three to spunk all over Spurs or United though
Reply 63
I think that's quite ridiculous tbh. He's been on 35k for two years now and we've seen no evidence of any kind of gambling or drug streak, or ego trip. We've seen a young player who is completely in tune with his manager and is mature, and hard working.

I don't think that is actually what they're trying to preclude. He's not that young and he's not that youth.

What they're really trying to avoid is the £10m extra cost of giving him 80k as opposed to 120k over a 5 year contract.

Have you seen the 'Being Liverpool' series? Brendan is very aware of the attitude problems Raheem had when he was a bit younger and will be intent to keep him under his wing.

Remember he's a father already and has already been charged with assault in the past (per BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-23633560) so let's not be under any assumption that the guy is squeaky clean.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great player, nice guy when I met him too.

The wage packet won't be a problem. Sure, like any other team they will try and find an equilibrium between the player being happy and them, as a business, saving on costs. We saw with Suarez that they're prepared to pay the big money. Remember, too, that we're losing Gerrard's wages this summer, along with the portion of Aspas' & Luis Alberto's that we pay whilst they're on loan. Besides, how many times has a players contract expired when they sign a new deal? Sterling still has 2 and a half years or something left on his current deal.. It wouldn't amount to £10m as by that time he would either be on a new contract (and if so then he'll be one of our superstars- as he already is, and the money will be meaningless to FSG), or probably if we're being realistic, have been sold.
Original post by Dprince
Have you seen the 'Being Liverpool' series? Brendan is very aware of the attitude problems Raheem had when he was a bit younger and will be intent to keep him under his wing.

Remember he's a father already and has already been charged with assault in the past (per BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-23633560) so let's not be under any assumption that the guy is squeaky clean.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great player, nice guy when I met him too.

The wage packet won't be a problem. Sure, like any other team they will try and find an equilibrium between the player being happy and them, as a business, saving on costs. We saw with Suarez that they're prepared to pay the big money. Remember, too, that we're losing Gerrard's wages this summer, along with the portion of Aspas' & Luis Alberto's that we pay whilst they're on loan. Besides, how many times has a players contract expired when they sign a new deal? Sterling still has 2 and a half years or something left on his current deal.. It wouldn't amount to £10m as by that time he would either be on a new contract (and if so then he'll be one of our superstars- as he already is, and the money will be meaningless to FSG), or probably if we're being realistic, have been sold.

Never said he hasn't had his share of misdemeanours. The assault was cleared quickly and without doubt, and could well have been pure fabrication. I just said he's not that youth anymore. I don't know his private life but I can tell you that it's not about the wages getting to his head.

If he wanted to be a prick and live a playboy life, he would have done it with the £7-8m in wages he's picked up since his last contract, and there would certainly be no impact on his playboy desires with a difference from 80 to 120k.

We're losing wages but we've been shedding high earners every year since FSG came in. The point of shedding high earners is definitely not to just replace them with more high earners straight away.

Anyway the hold up with Raheem's contract is due to his personal agent parting ways from the agency that previously managed Raheem, and employed him.
Reply 65
The problem with giving a 20 year old 120k per week is that players always expect their next contract to be bigger than their last (even if they're playing worse) until at least their 30's. Pay 120k now, and we'll be paying him 400k per week by the time he's 30. I'd offer no more than 80k atm.
Reply 66
Being Liverpool was such an ill-judged move.
Original post by cBay
The problem with giving a 20 year old 120k per week is that players always expect their next contract to be bigger than their last (even if they're playing worse) until at least their 30's. Pay 120k now, and we'll be paying him 400k per week by the time he's 30. I'd offer no more than 80k atm.

If there's any 20 year old in the world that's worth it, it's him.

Definitely a money issue wrt what the club want
If I were Sterling, i'd be demanding whatever Sturridge is on He certainly deserves it.
Reply 69
If there's any 20 year old in the world that's worth it, it's him.

Definitely a money issue wrt what the club want

Original post by sr90
If I were Sterling, i'd be demanding whatever Sturridge is on He certainly deserves it.

precisely.

the issue you have (as others have mentioned) is his age - with each new contract he will demage a wage increase and before you know it, he'll be one of the most well payed players in football.
that being said, he deserves the kind of money we're talking about here simply because of how he performs and his value to our club.

maybe it's a little naive but we should worry about the present, not the future.
the important thing is getting him signed on as quickly as possible.
Reply 70

Professional footballers on drugs etc is just a lol. Especially at top level. He probably drinks a beer a month or something. So agree on that, and I think it's worth it.

I don't know what the problem is really; he's not going to see out a 5 year contract on that money if he continues developing anyway. (either he'll move or renegotiate) - So either they pay up, or offer him a shorter term deal/deal with a release clause on a bit less and take the risk. I'd pay up personally. Not worth being in a position of weakness a few years down the line with potentially one of the best prospects in football. I suspect it's more about him trying to leverage extra money for lack of clauses, or vice versa than anything else.
Original post by samba
Professional footballers on drugs etc is just a lol. Especially at top level. He probably drinks a beer a month or something. So agree on that, and I think it's worth it.

I don't know what the problem is really; he's not going to see out a 5 year contract on that money if he continues developing anyway. (either he'll move or renegotiate) - So either they pay up, or offer him a shorter term deal/deal with a release clause on a bit less and take the risk. I'd pay up personally. Not worth being in a position of weakness a few years down the line with potentially one of the best prospects in football. I suspect it's more about him trying to leverage extra money for lack of clauses, or vice versa than anything else.

Pay up, definitely, and the delay is about Sterling's personal agent parting from the agency.

Either way, the more you give him now, the more you'll have to give him later, so that £10m extra that I mentioned will happen, whether it's on this contract or whether the boost is carried onto the next contract.

I think he's staying. Full confidence in Rodgers to bring us back to that top table and once we're there, he'll stay. Bale moved but I don't think it's going to set a precedent of Brits moving abroad that some said it would. Sterling strikes me as having extreme faith in the manager. Obviously the main factor is if we're in the top tier in the long run or not, and that's to be decided still so we'll just have to wait and see. New stadium will take our revenues to above that of Arsenal so we should be able to compete financially, and the core of young players is already present. Sakho, Can, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge is an impressive base and only in 18 months time will you look at any of those being under threat.
Re Sterling's wages, it's just about maintaining some sort of wage structure which is sensible. No doubt the club will want to be giving him new contract terms every 2 years to keep him happy/motivated/sense of value so jumping too high might be a concern there.

He's enjoying his football too much at Liverpool and developing well with Rodgers that I can't see him not signing a new contract eventually. There's plenty of time (easily over 6 months we can negotiate) to get a new deal and in the end the club can just give in to his demands. It will be his agent and the club's reps who are debating the terms of the new deal whereas the player/manager won't be so concerned.

The club are probably trying to keep him around Coutinho's level whereas he might want as much/more than Sturridge. Just make it heavily incentivised and it will be fine.

On a side note:
http://instagram.com/p/yuCMGSnNfH/?modal=true

:rofl:
Reply 73
Mario's photobomb greater than anything he's done on the pitch for us so far ^^^^^^^^^^
how did Shevchenko miss
Reply 75
Neymar on Coutinho: "He can be the star player in England. This season I think everybody in England is seeing how talented he is—and I know he has a lot more to show."
Original post by Mackay
Neymar on Coutinho: "He can be the star player in England. This season I think everybody in England is seeing how talented he is—and I know he has a lot more to show."

Just needs to continue being consistent. I don't mind if he doesn't become a regular goalscorer if he's putting all those assists on a plate.
Reply 78
Original post by cBay

Very good point (hence the rep).

Original post by Lúcio
precisely.

the issue you have (as others have mentioned) is his age - with each new contract he will demage a wage increase and before you know it, he'll be one of the most well payed players in football.
that being said, he deserves the kind of money we're talking about here simply because of how he performs and his value to our club.

maybe it's a little naive but we should worry about the present, not the future.
the important thing is getting him signed on as quickly as possible.

It's important to get him signed on, but he does still have an age left on his current contract. Realistically any time between now and the summer transfer window will be fine, it's only when the window opens and clubs like Madrid are offering him silly money that we have to be worried!
Reply 79
By the way guys, if you need any Liverpool stats, any time, just quote me and I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP. Our access is to PL data from 2011/12-Present, Europe's top 5 leagues from 2012/13-Present, and CL, EL for the same period. Also have obscure leagues like the Mexican Primera. Only stats we don't have are domestic cups.

My favourite one of late.. Liverpool haven't conceded a goal from open play in the regulation 90 for 684 mins. Last was Akinfenwa. 1 month 1 day ago.

Shots taken, Goals scored, location of goals scored, minutes played, chances created, pass completion, average pass length, performance scores, aerial duels won. Just say the word!
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest