The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
I think Benteke will look best when paired with Sturridge.

We need to decide if we want to play Coutinho further forward and closer to goal or deeper so he can control the game more.

Me and Pimped differ on this, but I'd actually play him further back. I want him to have more people in front of him.
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season%3D2016/clubs/club%3D7889/index.html#ui-tabs-

Europa league squad. No Enrique. Guessing Rossiter, Ibe, Texieria are in the U21s part, but Gomez is there.

Meanwhile Mirror saying that Sturridge is out v Utd and will fully train at the end of the week at the earliest.
(edited 8 years ago)
Mignolet,
Gomez, Toure, Sakho, A. Moreno
Lucas, Can
Firmino, Lallana, Ibe
Ings

That would be my EL team out of that lot. We won't win the thing. Maybe interchange Origi and Ings, or deploy Rossiter, or Allen, instead of Can.
Original post by Mackay
Me and Pimped differ on this, but I'd actually play him further back. I want him to have more people in front of him.

I think I'm more inclined to agree with you. He doesn't have enough goal scoring in him yet but he still has the best vision and can play a great 1-2 so deeper makes more sense to me. Only worry is when he can lose the ball - you're much more exposed if you lose it deeper. It's a tough one since he doesn't obviously fit one position.

Original post by mr tim
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season%3D2016/clubs/club%3D7889/index.html#ui-tabs-

Europa league squad. No Enrique. Guessing Rossiter, Ibe, Texieria are in the U21s part, but Gomez is there.

Meanwhile Mirror saying that Sturridge is out v Utd and will fully train at the end of the week at the earliest.

When is the premier league squad submitted? Will be interesting to see if Enrique is omitted from that list too.

There's no chance we'll rush Sturridge. Too many recurring problems and now we actually have a ton of strikers.

Original post by Mackay
Mignolet,
Gomez, Toure, Sakho, A. Moreno
Lucas, Can
Firmino, Lallana, Ibe
Ings

That would be my EL team out of that lot. We won't win the thing. Maybe interchange Origi and Ings, or deploy Rossiter, or Allen, instead of Can.

I wouldn't play Gomez in the EL if we're going to play him in the premier league. He'll burn out or his fitness will be hurt over the season if he is overplayed. This is why I was surprised that Wisdom and Ilori were both sent out on loan.

I'd probably also play Origi rather than Firmino on the assumption that the latter will be used more in the premier league.
I think I'm more inclined to agree with you. He doesn't have enough goal scoring in him yet but he still has the best vision and can play a great 1-2 so deeper makes more sense to me. Only worry is when he can lose the ball - you're much more exposed if you lose it deeper. It's a tough one since he doesn't obviously fit one position.

I wouldn't play Gomez in the EL if we're going to play him in the premier league. He'll burn out or his fitness will be hurt over the season if he is overplayed. This is why I was surprised that Wisdom and Ilori were both sent out on loan.

I'd probably also play Origi rather than Firmino on the assumption that the latter will be used more in the premier league.

I think that Gomez will eventually be phased out of the PL side, though. We saw it with Sterling 2012-13. I think the pace will catch up with him, and he'll be burned out and fatigued - both mentally and physically. Being a defender requires you to be switched on for 90 minutes.

With that in mind, I think it's imperative he gets game time in a less tense environment. Europa League matches at home would be the perfect tonic for that.

I just feel that Firmino would get confidence from playing in a European tournament. Let's be honest, it's still early days, but his signing is already looking like one that will have to be given time. With that in mind, if he struggled making an impact domestically and is in and out of the side and interchangeable with Lallana, why not deploy him and boost his confidence on a European level?

For me, there is a problem with Coutinho playing high up the pitch, especially at home. He tends to try too much on his own, and he's becoming increasingly selective about who he is passing to.

He also deserts his position when deployed high up the pitch, coming deeper in a bid to get involved and supply an attack. That makes out attack - which is meant to be a trident - a player down, anyway, if he gets the ball.
Original post by Mackay
I think that Gomez will eventually be phased out of the PL side, though. We saw it with Sterling 2012-13. I think the pace will catch up with him, and he'll be burned out and fatigued - both mentally and physically. Being a defender requires you to be switched on for 90 minutes.

With that in mind, I think it's imperative he gets game time in a less tense environment. Europa League matches at home would be the perfect tonic for that.

I just feel that Firmino would get confidence from playing in a European tournament. Let's be honest, it's still early days, but his signing is already looking like one that will have to be given time. With that in mind, if he struggled making an impact domestically and is in and out of the side and interchangeable with Lallana, why not deploy him and boost his confidence on a European level?

For me, there is a problem with Coutinho playing high up the pitch, especially at home. He tends to try too much on his own, and he's becoming increasingly selective about who he is passing to.

He also deserts his position when deployed high up the pitch, coming deeper in a bid to get involved and supply an attack. That makes out attack - which is meant to be a trident - a player down, anyway, if he gets the ball.

So you think Moreno will claim back his LB spot? I wouldn't be against playing Gomez away and Moreno at home.

Yea I guess that makes sense. Tbh we do need to make sure we progress from the EL group so probably can't just play our weaker players and still assume we'll sail through. I wouldn't be adverse to Sturridge playing in EL to get his fitness back either.

The same way our CMs cover the CBs/FBs when they attack, really our CMs should be swapping into an attacking position when Coutinho drops deep. Agree that we often don't have enough players in front of the ball to make a difference/give another option.

Not sure what side we play against Man Utd with him banned..
So you think Moreno will claim back his LB spot? I wouldn't be against playing Gomez away and Moreno at home.

Yea I guess that makes sense. Tbh we do need to make sure we progress from the EL group so probably can't just play our weaker players and still assume we'll sail through. I wouldn't be adverse to Sturridge playing in EL to get his fitness back either.

Moreno has clearly had an attitude change, and I think his introduction against West Ham and the way he impressed - and changed our dynamic, it could be argued - means he'll be first-choice eventually I imagine.

Gomez is playing out of position, too, of course. He's a right-footed centre-back playing on the left, so the more he plays, it's likely he'll be exposed like he was for the first goal against West Ham.

I really rate Gomez, though. He has been a breath of fresh air and a real surprise. I don't feel his future at Liverpool is at left-back, though.

Just a word on Clyne, too. I knew he was good offensively at Southampton, but it has been refreshing to see how solid he is at the back too.

It makes a nice change having a right-back who can defend, after more than half a decade with Glen Johnson.

Clyne has been steady and competent since coming in, and his defensive ability actually reminds me of Steve Finnan.

I was full of trepidation that he would maraud forward and leave us exposed, and I'm glad that that hasn't been the case thus far.
Original post by Mackay
Moreno has clearly had an attitude change, and I think his introduction against West Ham and the way he impressed - and changed our dynamic, it could be argued - means he'll be first-choice eventually I imagine.

Gomez is playing out of position, too, of course. He's a right-footed centre-back playing on the left, so the more he plays, it's likely he'll be exposed like he was for the first goal against West Ham.

I really rate Gomez, though. He has been a breath of fresh air and a real surprise. I don't feel his future at Liverpool is at left-back, though.

Just a word on Clyne, too. I knew he was good offensively at Southampton, but it has been refreshing to see how solid he is at the back too.

It makes a nice change having a right-back who can defend, after more than half a decade with Glen Johnson.

Clyne has been steady and competent since coming in, and his defensive ability actually reminds me of Steve Finnan.

I was full of trepidation that he would maraud forward and leave us exposed, and I'm glad that that hasn't been the case thus far.

For me it goes back to picking a team based on our opposition and not just whoever we want. I wouldn't trust Moreno against Man Utd as much as I would Gomez but then I want Moreno against Norwich (H) when we'll be attacking more.

Maybe we'll see Gomez giving us the option of playing 3ATB?

Clyne has been our best signing this summer imo. In terms of price, value to our side and ability. The only problem is that against West Ham, Clyne became the easy option to play to the right but since we weren't doing much else, he couldn't really do much attacking other than be an option or cross it in. I think the rest of the team need to play better and then we'll see an even better Clyne.
For me it goes back to picking a team based on our opposition and not just whoever we want. I wouldn't trust Moreno against Man Utd as much as I would Gomez but then I want Moreno against Norwich (H) when we'll be attacking more.

Yeah, we definitely need two teams almost. I think Coutinho's position actually falls into that, and there's an argument that he can play further up the pitch away from home given that that is when he's been most effective and he won't need to drop deep due to the whole essence of us being more patient on the road.
Original post by Mackay

The problem with Firmino is he's playing out of position which doesn't surprise me considering Rodgers needed to be convinced to sign him. With Coutinho suspended, there's now no excuses to not play him just behind the striker(s) with license to roam. If he starts again on the right I'm so done.
Original post by Samiz
The problem with Firmino is he's playing out of position which doesn't surprise me considering Rodgers needed to be convinced to sign him. With Coutinho suspended, there's now no excuses to not play him just behind the striker(s) with license to roam. If he starts again on the right I'm so done.

I think Firmino mainly played on the left side cutting in for Hoffenheim?
I think Firmino mainly played on the left side cutting in for Hoffenheim?

He played there a few times but played way more in the centre. I can't remember him starting on the right wing once last season.
(edited 8 years ago)
i would understand him playing on the left, but he can't do much with his left foot therefore he is completely wasted on the right. agree with above
Original post by theo1jinx
i would understand him playing on the left, but he can't do much with his left foot therefore he is completely wasted on the right. agree with above

[video="youtube;18hM6Icj65U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18hM6Icj65U[/video]
Not sure what side we play against Man Utd with him banned..

Stick Benteke on Blind and lump balls in to target Romero at every opportunity.

Not your style but it'll work. We're so brittle.
hoping to go for a:
Migs
clyne sakho skrtel gomez
milner/hendo can
Ings firmino llama
tekkerz

Ings needs a shot in the starting lineup, and Lallana has a lot to offer defensive-wise
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9676
Original post by theo1jinx
hoping to go for a:
Migs
clyne sakho skrtel gomez
milner/hendo can
Ings firmino llama
tekkerz

Ings needs a shot in the starting lineup, and Lallana has a lot to offer defensive-wise

if you're gunna put Ings in, what's the point putting him on the wing? Might as well go with a diamond, especially as Coutinho is out.
Original post by cBay
if you're gunna put Ings in, what's the point putting him on the wing? Might as well go with a diamond, especially as Coutinho is out.

He is really quick and shaw isn't the best fullback defensive-wise
Original post by cBay

I agree. The best football I've ever seen Liverpool play was with the diamond, I think with our squad it's the best formation available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mignolet
Gomez Skrtel Sakho
Clyne Henderson Lucas Moreno
Milner
Firmino Benteke

Controversial :colondollar: