The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Henderson - Can
Sterling - Coutinho - Markovic/New ACM
Sturridge/New ST

That'll be lovely next season.
Yessssss!!! Studge!!! Lovely cross by Hendo!
Original post by AR_95

That brings up another question, does BR deserve the sack if he misses out on top four? I'd say yes.

Not really considering how the team have clearly improved from earlier on in the season where they were adjusting to two of their best players from last season not being available to play.
Original post by jam277
Not really considering how the team have clearly improved from earlier on in the season where they were adjusting to two of their best players from last season not being available to play.

Improved but so what? It's still a poor season and Rodgers has not met his goal. What's the point of having one good half season when at the end of the day it all comes down to the position in the table? Going from 2nd to 5th with all that money is a sackable offence?
He's had plenty of time now too.

Note, this isn't a post saying Liverpool won't make 5th and Rodgers needs to be fired already either.
Ugh Newcastle are useless
Man U so jammy.
Cheers Newcastle, bottlers....
Original post by SUGe Knight
I don't think how this season ends affects Liverpool too much next year, other than posing a problem with how Rodgers takes the EL, if we fail to get top four.

Whereas United finishing in or out of the CL places is the single most factor in your recruitment drive this summer, I think.

And as I said earlier, I think we'll be top four by the end of the night, or at least go fifth on GD.

If anything it's the other way round. We showed our ability attract top talent (Di Maria), you didn't. We can go another season without top 4, you can't sign WC players if you don't.

Also YES. Now **** off Liverpool.
Reply 1268
ffs Newcastle, just why?

Original post by AR_95
Improved but so what? It's still a poor season and Rodgers has not met his goal. What's the point of having one good half season when at the end of the day it all comes down to the position in the table? Going from 2nd to 5th with all that money is a sackable offence?

Note, this isn't a post saying Liverpool won't make 5th and Rodgers needs to be fired already either.

I don't think you'll find many Liverpool fans who will agree with you tbh. Long term, we all know we're better off with BR. Out of interest, do you think Klopp deserves the sack from Dortmund if they don't qualify for the CL?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95

If you can't understanding mitigating circumstances such as Suarez being sold and Sturridge being injured for half the season then there's no point in discussing this with you.

We overachieved last season so it's not a fair barometer. Did anyone expect us to finish 2nd again? We have the 5th largest wage bill in the league so that's roughly where we are likely to finish. Rodgers has turned around this season and improved massively so what's the benefit in sacking? He showed last season and half of this season that he can do well so why change?
Providing the scores stay the same, when was the last time the entire Top 8 won?
Original post by Zerforax
Ugh Newcastle are useless

If we play like that at Anfield we will lose 5-0.

Newcastle were absolutely dire and still created the best chances (as well as having a blatent penalty turned down), which says it all really.
If you can't understanding mitigating circumstances such as Suarez being sold and Sturridge being injured for half the season then there's no point in discussing this with you.

We overachieved last season so it's not a fair barometer. Did anyone expect us to finish 2nd again? We have the 5th largest wage bill in the league so that's roughly where we are likely to finish. Rodgers has turned around this season and improved massively so what's the benefit in sacking? He showed last season and half of this season that he can do well so why change?

Again a fraction of the season doesn't make up for it if ultimately you finish 5th. Overachieved in the sense that you almost won the title yes, but let's be real here you were always one of the favourites for top 4 last season so finishing outside of it is not good progress. Obviously no one expected you to rechallenge for the title again but 4th place should have been the minimum. No doubt I think you guys have a good chance at getting it but I don't get why people are getting so defensive about the idea of Rodgers being sacked if he doesn't. Chances are if you do miss out on top 4 then it's because you've slipped up some upcoming fixtures, meaning this "turn around in form" was short lived, maybe just a purple patch.

Why did he have to turn around this season? You can't use excuses like that, Liverpool fans acting like the first half of the season doesn't count. A few factors to consider:

1. All/nearly all of your players came/had played in the premier league- so adjusting period to the tempo of the league or lifestyle wasn't needed. Neither was finding a house/language etc.

2. 3 of your players came from the same club. This adds to chemistry within the squad (not FIFA style, I.e there's already a fair knowledge of how players play rather than one sole player adjusting to the whole new style of club)

3. The Southampton players were used to a similar high tempo/pressing style of play, so it's not like fitness/tactical awareness was such an issue.

4. Half of your signings are flops. I hear a lot of "we are a summer away from signing a few players and challenging", but Rodgers has proved to be so **** in the transfer market that who's to say he won't blow your budget again? Same applies to LvG inb4 point made.

5. He struggles in the first half of the season- essentially rules himself out of title race so little to no progression other than consolidating top 4, so he'll have to go eventually anyway.

6. It took him until Xmas to find the correct formation, and as established a ****ing sweaty one at that. So either he recruited the wrong players, or had a serious deficiency in pre season after watching his team fail to adapt to his tactics, or both!

7. He's ****e in Europe. Tactically naive, little to no experience in the squad. Even with new tactics you would've struggled to get out of the group stage.

NB: Many of these points apply to Van Gaal which I accept, so no point pointing out to me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Asking if Rodgers should be sacked. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
If we don't beat United at Anfield, we don't deserve to be in the top 4.
Original post by samir12
If we don't beat United at Anfield, we don't deserve to be in the top 4.

What if its a draw? :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
What if its a draw? :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A draw would suit them a lot more than us. Liverpool's remaining away games look tough but they should comfortably win their other home games - QPR, Crystal Palace and Newcastle. Whereas we still have Spurs, Arsenal & City.
Draw written all over the match with United tbh.

We should batter them given our form and style, but we won't - because that sums up their season.
Henderson is joint sixth in the PL assists chart and only two of the five players ahead of him have scored more goals than him too.

How Steven Gerrard gets back into this side is hard to see.

Latest