The Student Room Group

Can I live on 1100 pounds a month (after tax) in Southampton?

Dear all!
I'm confused.....I'll to do a PhD but I'm not sure because I think the salary isn't enough :frown:

My boyfriend will come with me and we like to see houses with only 1 bedroom and the price is around 600 pounds.... I don't know if we could live well, because we'd like to go out with friends and don't see the all food prices on the supermarket.
Now we are living "well" because my boyfriend has a job, but already, I want to work. My boyfriend will leave the job to come with me, and I don't know if it's wrong...
What is the normal taxes in UK?

Please!! Give me advices!!
I've moved this thread to the post graduate forum, as you'll probably get more useful replies from other post graduates.

I would say that while doing a PhD, you may well have to make some sacrifices in terms of your standard of living. I believe that if your PhD stipend is lower than £15,000 a year, you don't have to pay any income tax on it. However, as your boyfriend is not a student, you may be liable for other taxes, such as council tax.

Will you boyfriend be eligible to find work in the UK? Even if he just works part time, he could help increase your income a lot.
Reply 2
I would try and find somewhere cheaper. £600 per month is a lot. I did a quick search on rightmove.co.uk and zoopla and there are plenty of apartments to rent in the £300 - £550 range (depending on how picky you are). Renting a 1 bedroom apartment is probably a better option than trying to get a house.

As far as food goes, if you're stringent you can make your money go a long way. Shop at supermarkets and never small stores/corner stores. I spend £10/week on food (although I admittedly have to skip on things like fresh meat).
I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I used to live in London for £950 a month for 5 years and it wasn't that bad for me. £500 for a single room and the rest is for other stuffs. I think £1100 per month in Southampton would be OK depending on your daily splurge :wink:
Original post by verk
Dear all!
I'm confused.....I'll to do a PhD but I'm not sure because I think the salary isn't enough :frown:

My boyfriend will come with me and we like to see houses with only 1 bedroom and the price is around 600 pounds.... I don't know if we could live well, because we'd like to go out with friends and don't see the all food prices on the supermarket.
Now we are living "well" because my boyfriend has a job, but already, I want to work. My boyfriend will leave the job to come with me, and I don't know if it's wrong...
What is the normal taxes in UK?

Please!! Give me advices!!

Calm down!!!

You don't get taxed on a PhD wage for starters.

Secondly, I'm doing a PhD in London and I get 1300 per month and it is more than enough to live off. 550 a month goes on rent alone, plus another 250/300 or so a month on food, bills and travel, yet I am still able to live my life to a decent standard. You'll be rolling in cash in Southampton. I'm assuming your rent will be split with your bf? If not you can easily find a flat for less than £600 in Southampton so I wouldn't worry.

Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I've moved this thread to the post graduate forum, as you'll probably get more useful replies from other post graduates.

I would say that while doing a PhD, you may well have to make some sacrifices in terms of your standard of living. I believe that if your PhD stipend is lower than £15,000 a year, you don't have to pay any income tax on it. However, as your boyfriend is not a student, you may be liable for other taxes, such as council tax.

Will you boyfriend be eligible to find work in the UK? Even if he just works part time, he could help increase your income a lot.

Even if you get more than 15,000 you don't get taxed because it is essentially a grant not a wage.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by redferry

Even if you get more than 15,000 you don't get taxed because it is essentially a grant not a wage.

Did there used to be a limit on your tax free stipend? I have a real idea in my head that there used to be/is a cap on what you can receive tax free, although if that's not the case anymore, that's great. Do you have a link where it states this?
Reply 6
Did there used to be a limit on your tax free stipend? I have a real idea in my head that there used to be/is a cap on what you can receive tax free, although if that's not the case anymore, that's great. Do you have a link where it states this?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim06271.htm

When doing a PhD you are still considered a student getting a student stipend.
Original post by pryk009
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim06271.htm

When doing a PhD you are still considered a student getting a student stipend.

Thanks for this :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by k3ro
I would try and find somewhere cheaper. £600 per month is a lot. I did a quick search on rightmove.co.uk and zoopla and there are plenty of apartments to rent in the £300 - £550 range (depending on how picky you are). Renting a 1 bedroom apartment is probably a better option than trying to get a house.

As far as food goes, if you're stringent you can make your money go a long way. Shop at supermarkets and never small stores/corner stores. I spend £10/week on food (although I admittedly have to skip on things like fresh meat).

but all is share house no?
I don't mind but my boyfriend and me are living together a lot of time and is difficult to share a bathroom or kitchen, also the age is not the same.....
I asked the realtor and was told that since I am not a citizen of UK and have never been there, I have to give a bail of six months, I thinks is a lot because I don't have 3600 pounds to give them.
Thanks for your advice
Reply 9
Original post by malaysian dentist
I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I used to live in London for £950 a month for 5 years and it wasn't that bad for me. £500 for a single room and the rest is for other stuffs. I think £1100 per month in Southampton would be OK depending on your daily splurge :wink:

Ok, thank you!
Reply 10
Calm down!!!

You don't get taxed on a PhD wage for starters.

Secondly, I'm doing a PhD in London and I get 1300 per month and it is more than enough to live off. 550 a month goes on rent alone, plus another 250/300 or so a month on food, bills and travel, yet I am still able to live my life to a decent standard. You'll be rolling in cash in Southampton. I'm assuming your rent will be split with your bf? If not you can easily find a flat for less than £600 in Southampton so I wouldn't worry.

uff, perfect! thanks a lot! all the people told me that UK is expensive and with this money is impossible to live there. Is expensive to rent a house or flat (don't share), no?
with this salary, I have to pay the council tax o no?
Thanks a lot!!
Original post by verk
but all is share house no?
I don't mind but my boyfriend and me are living together a lot of time and is difficult to share a bathroom or kitchen, also the age is not the same.....
I asked the realtor and was told that since I am not a citizen of UK and have never been there, I have to give a bail of six months, I thinks is a lot because I don't have 3600 pounds to give them.
Thanks for your advice

I'm afraid this is the harsh reality of dealing with letting agents in the UK. If you don't have a rental history and/or proof of income, agencies will require 6 months up front. A written agreement with your stipend may be helpful but may not be sufficient for their requirements.

Your best bet may be a private landlord or as suggested, to share with others. This will limit your options but if you're determined you'll find something. I recommend looking on spareroom.co.uk, gumtree or other sites that have non-agency options. Sites like rightmove, etc. are tied up by agents and best avoided.

Another option is to find somewhere short-term so your partner can find some income, which will make things much easier.

Good luck!
If you are living with all students you don'y pay council tax. If your partner isn't a student you'll have to pay council tax. There'd be a 25% discount if it's just the two of you.
Reply 13
Original post by xenophile
I'm afraid this is the harsh reality of dealing with letting agents in the UK. If you don't have a rental history and/or proof of income, agencies will require 6 months up front. A written agreement with your stipend may be helpful but may not be sufficient for their requirements.

Your best bet may be a private landlord or as suggested, to share with others. This will limit your options but if you're determined you'll find something. I recommend looking on spareroom.co.uk, gumtree or other sites that have non-agency options. Sites like rightmove, etc. are tied up by agents and best avoided.

Another option is to find somewhere short-term so your partner can find some income, which will make things much easier.

Good luck!

Thank you very much, the information was helpful!

All I know is that I get 15,863 and don't get taxed
Original post by verk
uff, perfect! thanks a lot! all the people told me that UK is expensive and with this money is impossible to live there. Is expensive to rent a house or flat (don't share), no?
with this salary, I have to pay the council tax o no?
Thanks a lot!!

As a student you don't have to pay council tax, but your partner will. I live with my partner and we get a 25% discount on council tax.
Reply 16
As a student you don't have to pay council tax, but your partner will. I live with my partner and we get a 25% discount on council tax.

Why not a 50% discount? It seems unfair. :confused:
Original post by Josb

Fair? Council tax?

Actually the 25% discount is for people who live alone. As far as council tax is concerned, students don't exist. So for a couple with one student and one real person, they see it as the student paying nothing and the other person getting a discount for living alone.

In the OP's case, where the only income is from the student's bursary, this doesn't quite work out. The real rub is that non-working non-student people should typically be entitled to council tax benefit (be exempt from paying it), but not in OP's case. That's because the bursary counts as household income for benefits calculations. :s-smilie:
Original post by Josb

Iveno idea, its pretty annoying especially since we split all our bills 50/50 so it benefits him as much as me....
Original post by xenophile
Fair? Council tax?

Actually the 25% discount is for people who live alone. As far as council tax is concerned, students don't exist. So for a couple with one student and one real person, they see it as the student paying nothing and the other person getting a discount for living alone.

In the OP's case, where the only income is from the student's bursary, this doesn't quite work out. The real rub is that non-working non-student people should typically be entitled to council tax benefit (be exempt from paying it), but not in OP's case. That's because the bursary counts as household income for benefits calculations. :s-smilie:

Agh that's so stupid because in reality most of us just pay 50% of the remainder....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending