The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL offer holders 2015!

Scroll to see replies

anyone who need tour around Bristol holla me
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Which accomadation do you think is best for night life
Original post by Dean Smith

I can't remember the name, but I'd think the one in the city as you're very close to all bars and clubs. Where as in Stoke bishop the city is much further away

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 223
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Haha this is such a common misconception that people take of Bristol. Yes there's more private school people at Bristol than you average university but I wouldn't go making the conclusion that we're all from private schools! I was at durdham hall at Bristol and I think about only 5-10% (if that) went to private school, and even those who did you couldn't tell. Wills hall on the other hand has a higher concentration of private school people mainly as its much more expensive, but really it's not extreme like you are implying.

And besides private school people aren't some horrible group of people that you should avoid! If anything what I loved about uni was that you meet people you wouldn't necessarily meet.
:smile:

Sorry I know this is completely unrelated to your post but I'm looking at Durdham as my accommodation. Is it true it's unsociable?
Reply 224
Original post by oli19919
Well done on getting an offer, can I ask what you got at GCSE please :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oli mate, honestly don't worry about GCSEs I got 1A*2A's5B's1D and even a btec alongside. Bristol don't look at GCSEs at all! (For politics anyways) read the admission statements on the website they will tell you the weighting(if any) for GCSE/A Levels/Personal Statement. All the best :smile:
Original post by Age
Sorry I know this is completely unrelated to your post but I'm looking at Durdham as my accommodation. Is it true it's unsociable?

Not at all! All the halls got a nickname which was based off their name so:
Durdham: Dulldum
Hiatt baker: ****e bunker
University hall: Poverty hall
Etc.

When I was there, durdham was actually voted most sociable hall because we were running more events than any other jcr! Also at durdham there's an end of year all day music festival which the jcr run which is awesome!

Durdham also has one of the largest bars out of all halls at Bristol, despite it being one of the smaller halls... As a result the bar was used a lot for yoga practice, watching football matches, running jcr events etc. Also what I loved was that with 220 people I really felt like I got to know the majority of people in the hall as it had a nice community feel to it. Also the flats have 6/7 people in which is the perfect size to have a good group of friends forming :smile:

I may be biased but I would 100% choose durdham again! Also if you have your car, its one of the halls where there's quite a few parking spaces available! :smile:

If you have any more questions just let me know! :smile:

EDIT: I should add that a couple of halls have a bit of a stereotype so:
Wills = Rahs
University hall = 'lads' and because it was a really run down accommodation people used to just get drunk and destroy things haha
Badock = supposedly druggies? But I never really saw this first hand

I'd take them with a pinch of salt though (no other halls really had a stereotype)
(edited 9 years ago)
Etc.

When I was there, durdham was actually voted most sociable hall because we were running more events than any other jcr! Also at durdham there's an end of year all day music festival which the jcr run which is awesome!

Durdham also has one of the largest bars out of all halls at Bristol, despite it being one of the smaller halls... As a result the bar was used a lot for yoga practice, watching football matches, running jcr events etc. Also what I loved was that with 220 people I really felt like I got to know the majority of people in the hall as it had a nice community feel to it. Also the flats have 6/7 people in which is the perfect size to have a good group of friends forming :smile:

I may be biased but I would 100% choose durdham again! Also if you have your car, its one of the halls where there's quite a few parking spaces available! :smile:

Wills = Rahs
University hall = 'lads' and because it was a really run down accommodation people used to just get drunk and destroy things haha

I'd take them with a pinch of salt though (no other halls really had a stereotype)

Hii thank you for all of your help! Someone told me that I should definitely go catered because if you go self catered you might end up with a flat of people you dont like and in catered apparently it is way more social. Is this true? Because tbh I would prefer to cook for myself but I am also quite a sociable person. Also do people in stoke bishop still go on nights out in the city even though its a bit of a way out?
Reply 227
Etc.

Wills = Rahs

Thanks for this! I loved Durdham when I visited but then I heard the stereotypes and the fact it was undersubscribed last year and I was kind of put off. But I think I'll choose HB self catered, Durdham and Orchard heights. Either way I'll be 100% happy :smile:
I have an offer for german and ab initio italian- anyone else? also torn between colston street and goldney- anyone got any advice?
how many should i apply. i'm looking at orchard and HB and thinking about only applying to 2.
Original post by lilyhowells
I have an offer for german and ab initio italian- anyone else? also torn between colston street and goldney- anyone got any advice?

I also like colston street and thinking of putting it as my first choice! Although I don't know any background info as I'm joining bristol this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Walkeer_1
I also like colston street and thinking of putting it as my first choice! Although I don't know any background info as I'm joining bristol this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeh me too, people are saying on here that it's quite quiet though? i'm not sure if should go for clifton or the city centre- i want somewhere big and sociable that's not too far from the uni, but after that i don't mind!
Original post by Celinecc
Hey there! I also have an offer for Zoology :smile:I'm pretty sure I'll be firming it, I really like the look of the course and the new life sciences buiding looks great of course :tongue: Plus I love Bristol as a city..still need to officially firm it and decide on second choice though

Oh thats great i might see you there then, and yess the life sciences building is amazing!!

have you lived/been to bristol before and also have you looked at the accommodation?
i have never lived in the UK (but i am from the uk- permanent expact haha) but i did have a bristol tour and it looked really nice, but i didnt get to see any of the accommodation and i dont know the city so i have no idea which areas are good or not... do you know?

thanks in advance for any help you can give :biggrin:
Reply 233
Hi,
Does anyone know anything about the jazz scene in Bristol?
I know Snarky Puppy are playing in the O2 academy in october, but does this kind of thing happen often, and are there decent jazz clubs?
Reply 234
Original post by becks_dada
How did you find the visit day

Sorry my reply is so late! I didn't see this..I loved it, made me certain I wanted to firm Bristol :smile:
Also made choosing accommodation easier because I'd seen the difference in areas etc.
Have you been to Bristol at all? You've probably made your decision by now, if so what did you decide?
Original post by MinervaRock
Take a look at them they're lovely, one building is quite near harbour side, if you know nelson building its literally in front of that! And the other one I'm not quite sure :P I'm doing Theatre and Film!

I am debating whether to go to Nelson or Waverley both seem really fun and in a good location. I just want to be in city centre its a shame everyone turns their nose up at it.
That's cool that you are taking theatre and film. I am doing Film and French !!
Original post by chapmouse
Hi guys, I'm a First year Physics with Astrophysics MSci student at the University of Bristol. Feel free to throw any questions my way about the university, the city, my course, whatever

Hi! I have a offer for physics and just have some questions

What are the lecturers like? Do they make the course content interesting?
What are labs like?
Which accommodation did you choose? and which ones are more social?
Whats the nightlife like and is there much to do in the day when not in lectures?
Did you join any societies and if so what are they like?
What is the physics society like?

Thank you for the help and sorry about all the questions
Original post by LReakes
Sorry my reply is so late! I didn't see this..I loved it, made me certain I wanted to firm Bristol :smile:
Also made choosing accommodation easier because I'd seen the difference in areas etc.
Have you been to Bristol at all? You've probably made your decision by now, if so what did you decide?

Yeah I've been really loved the city and the people. I ended up firming Bristol over Exeter mainly because of the city and the course. What accommodation were you thinking of choosing or have already chosen
thoughts on getting a part time job?
Original post by Dean Smith

Hi if you message that in the fb group, i'm sure some of the present current year students can give you more information on that :smile:. https://www.facebook.com/groups/BristolUniversityStudentsOfficial/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending