The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL offer holders 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mizzsnazzter
I graduated from Bristol in Economics 2 years ago and now work as an Investment consultant in London.... So if you have any questions about the course/accommodation let me know! :smile:

Hi

What made you choose Bristol and how hard is the maths content of the course (I am doing AS further maths ) , thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by LReakes
Ooh yes!! What accommodation do you suggest? Some pros and cons and what accommodation you were in??

Also about the course, just generally what's it like? How many contact hours and things? Is there a lot of work to do outside of lectures and seminars etc?

Hey, I was in Durdham and I would definitely choose it again. Everyone has an en-suite which is awesome when you live with messy people! It's also a nice sized hall that you feel like you know/recognise everyone :smile: the only thing I would say about catered halls is be careful, as they have very strict timings for dinner and breakfast so if you're down in uni you might have to rush back to halls for food! Also you're not allowed to wear pjs to breakfast so if you've had a late night and don't have a lecture till 11 you may find yourself missing breakfast. But it does suit some people, I liked self catered as we had a communal area to pre drink and chill in which always really nice :smile:

Contact hours for economic I think are around 15 hours a week ( 2 hours per module and then a tutorial every other week). As long as you keep up to date with your work and after a lecture go home and just read through the content to make sure you understand it then you'll be fine. All the tutors have office hours and so I definitely used them in my final year when I needed to push my grade up! But besides from that I would say it was a nice balance of work, much more than arts degrees but less than engineering so it was a good balance in my opinion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Betsyboo
Hi

What made you choose Bristol and how hard is the maths content of the course (I am doing AS further maths ) , thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, when I applied I was two top offers that I was torn between was Durham and Bristol, in the end I preferred Bristol as it was a BSc. course whereas Durham (and quite a few others were BAs). That was probably my biggest reason as I did econ at a level and always preferred the maths-ire modules :smile: also I loved the campus-y type feel of Bristol, but yet still being walkable to a city so I thought it was the best of both worlds. There's so much going on in Bristol for everyone and i liked the fact that you can just walk everywhere and never need to get buses or anything, also the nightlife is awesome!

I didn't do further maths at a level so you're probably coming in with a better knowledge of maths than me anyway so I think you'll be absolutely fine! Econometrics/advanced micro are the trickier maths modules but if you put the time in it will click and once it does it's easy to score high marks on maths modules as opposed to essays. I actually think only about 25% of my friends on the course did FM so you should be fine! And as I said in my previous post, tutors have office hours and they're really friendly so like students to come in and ask questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
I have a conditional offer for music, and I will definitely be making it my firm choice!
Original post by ash14
Received an offer to study medicine at bristol. Anyone else the same? :smile:

Hopefully me very soon! 😂
Original post by mizzsnazzter
I graduated from Bristol in Economics 2 years ago and now work as an Investment consultant in London.... So if you have any questions about the course/accommodation let me know! :smile:

Thanks so much for your helpful replies. Can I also ask about the bus service out to SB halls. Is it just for students going back and forth or a public service. Also does it run frequently, did you have long waits at bus stops. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Betsyboo
Thanks so much for your helpful replies. Can I also ask about the bus service out to SB halls. Is it just for students going back and forth or a public service. Also does it run frequently, did you have long waits at bus stops. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Frustratingly the bus service actually started the year after I left SB! But I know it's definitely a UoB dedicated bus so not open to the general public, and from what I gathered it runs once every 30mins or more often in busy times like in the morning. I also have a feeling it runs pretty late too, but I'm not 100% sure on that one!
Reply 67
Original post by JMJ_1996
Hopefully me very soon! ������

I hope it all works out for you!

I honestly think everything happens for a reason
Original post by PeteMez
Offer for Econ :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Offer for Econ too. Are you thinking of firming Bristol
Original post by LReakes
I am an offer holder for L100 Economics and I am going this Wednesday!

How did you find the visit day
Have just rejected my offer for BSc Maths from Bristol. Bit sad as it was the first offer I got and I am grateful for that but I have firmed LSE.
Original post by ash14
I hope it all works out for you!

I honestly think everything happens for a reason

Thank you! It definitely does! Do you have any other offers and will you firm bristol?
After the longest wait of my life I finally got an offer from Bristol for law! Too happy right now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cfahy311
After the longest wait of my life I finally got an offer from Bristol for law! Too happy right now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats!! When did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Championt1
Congrats!! When did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied mid November, did the lnat at the start of January! Very long wait, any news for you?
Original post by cfahy311
I applied mid November, did the lnat at the start of January! Very long wait, any news for you?

Nice. Well done again! I applied on 27th November, did Lnat on the same day and I'm predicted A*AB (with A in EPQ). Is Bristol your first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Championt1
Nice. Well done again! I applied on 27th November, did Lnat on the same day and I'm predicted A*AB (with A in EPQ). Is Bristol your first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would be surprised if you don't get an offer with your predictions! And yea definately firming it! I'm sure you will hear soon anyway
Reply 77
Unconditional for English :smile: torn between three unis atm though, anyone else firming for it?
Original post by kaylazb
Unconditional for English :smile: torn between three unis atm though, anyone else firming for it?

I firmed my conditional offer for English last week following the post-offer day. I was stuck between two universities (other offer was unconditional) but the day spending time there really helped me to consolidate that Bristol was for me :smile: Have you been on/considered going on the offer day?
Unconditional for Aerospace Engineering and still waiting for Mechanical (one I really want) , hopefully will prefer this course to LSE!

Quick Reply

Latest