The Student Room Group

manchester univeristy or aston university?

hey folks, i am in a bit of a dilemma i have applied for international business management with a years industrial experience and recieved a conditional offer from aston uni. but i have also, recieved an offer from manchester university for information technology management for business with also a years industrial experience. now, what do u think i should do, i want to go to aston because i think it's too good of an opportunity to miss? (please also bare in mind the career prospects.
i have also, recieved an offer from manchester university for information technology management for business with also a years industrial experience

This sounds really good. But i think you have to chose aston university. You allready said it
it's too good of an opportunity to miss
The Aston course is really good and they are certainly know for having an excellent business school.

BUT, make sure you have visited it! I was really interested in the course and I went there and was put right off - I didn't like the place at all. This is just my personal view and if you've been and you've liked it then definitely go for it! I must say I prefer Manchester though!
Reply 3
If it was a proper Management course at Manchester, I would have said that. But it is a jokey IT course, so go for Aston. And as you said, it's too good an opportunity.
Reply 4
permissiontorock
The Aston course is really good and they are certainly know for having an excellent business school.

BUT, make sure you have visited it! I was really interested in the course and I went there and was put right off - I didn't like the place at all. This is just my personal view and if you've been and you've liked it then definitely go for it! I must say I prefer Manchester though!

What did you personally find bad about the Aston campus? I don't have the opportunity to visit the campus so I would really appreciate the input.
Reply 5
Well, I love the Aston campus and, along with the placement year (which im now just applying for, IBM assessment centre on monday :\) I would really recommend it.

The campus is small, all be it relatively old. However your placed right in the centre of Britain's second city. The location really is perfect. Lectures, town centre, bars, clubs are all within 15 minutes walk. Because Aston is one of, if not the, smallest uni in the country you can't walk accross campus without seeing one, two or three people you know.

Don't get me wrong, I like Manchester as a city as visit often and it is a fantastic city. But in regards University choice I think you get the best all round package, inclusive of course, campus and community at Aston.

For the record, im a BAM'er as opposed to an IBAM'er, but the courses are largely similar. Obviously your course has more of an international emphasis.
Reply 6
yeah thanks guys i appreciate your input, i have my heart set on aston, and did my research and discovered that it is one of the best unis in u.k for management studies. :smile:
Reply 7
Good luck! :wink:
Reply 8
RJA
If it was a proper Management course at Manchester, I would have said that. But it is a jokey IT course, so go for Aston. And as you said, it's too good an opportunity.

hey RJA, i thought the same thing, because it was a new course starting only for 2007 entry at manchester, so do u think i am right in going to aston?
Reply 9
;yes;
Asad.H
What did you personally find bad about the Aston campus? I don't have the opportunity to visit the campus so I would really appreciate the input.

I just didn't like the feel of it. The accommodation was in two huge tower blocks and the rest of the tuition seemed to take place in an even bigger tower block! The student's union was nothing to write home about. The Management presentation was a shambles - 1/2 of it was spent trying to close curtains so we could see the slideshow and also trying to quieten people outside. My tour guide was the worst possible representative for the uni and didn't know a thing (e.g. where the stairs were in his own apartment block).

I just thought to myself if that's how the uni was on a formal open day, what would it be like day-to-day? I don't want to annoy/offend anyone who's studying there as i know it's a very good uni but that's my opinion.
Reply 11
You probably had me as your tour guide! tbh, thats generally not what its like.

The great hall curtains are imfamously cheeky though, so thats unsuprising and for the record the Main Building is the largest brick building in Europe lol, 3 miles of corridors!

Unfortunately, if thats the first impression you received then its not good enough and its a shame as Aston really is far better than that.
Reply 12
I agree with what some people have already said - Aston Business school is indeed brilliant, but the university itself put me off. It was too small and some of the lecture rooms were pretty grotty - no offence to anyone who goes there..

Alchemy
However your placed right in the centre of Britain's second city. The location really is perfect. Lectures, town centre, bars, clubs are all within 15 minutes walk.QUOTE]
But i do agree with this..
Reply 13
Thanks loads for the comments guys.

Latest

Trending

Trending