The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm doing it at uni at the moment. I love the subject, I really do. DON'T go into it just for the money. You'll be gone within a year.

What made me want to do it in the first place? I really enjoy analysing serious issues and formulating arguments and opinions. I also think law is a great way to learn about the world in general. Law encompasses many things from politics to history; from philosophy to current affairs.

It's a subject where very often there are no clear-cut answers. It's very complex at times and it takes perseverance to make things 'click'. If you enjoy tackling complex issues, analysing them to form an opinion and then forcefully arguing that opinion, then you will find law very rewarding.

Damn, I should write prospectuses for a living. :wink:
Reply 2
lucaz
hi, just wondering about what A-levels your doing, if your doing a law degree(and where at) and what you find most interesting about law?

I did a law degree with the Open University. I loved some areas and hated others. It's a very expansive subject and few people feel comfortable in every area.
Reply 3
lucaz
hi, just wondering about what A-levels your doing, if your doing a law degree(and where at) and what you find most interesting about law?

Im doing an LLB now - then doing a masters in it afterwards... I love it - its interesting, challenging and embodies the need for reason and values creative thought...

However - be warned - many do not like it, and it continues to have high drop out rates - you WILL have to work hard, and there WILL be times you will hate it ...

But in short - it can be great!
Reply 4
Lawzzzzzz
Im doing an LLB now - then doing a masters in it afterwards... I love it - its interesting, challenging and embodies the need for reason and values creative thought...

However - be warned - many do not like it, and it continues to have high drop out rates - you WILL have to work hard, and there WILL be times you will hate it ...

But in short - it can be great!

I'm doing an LLM in Commercial Law. What do you want to focus on in your LLM?
Reply 5
Howard
I'm doing an LLM in Commercial Law. What do you want to focus on in your LLM?

Well it all depends on the results of my exams which I am presently right in the middle of - if they are good - then I can do the BCL at Oxford - in which case Ill do restitution, corporate and IP I think ... Otherwise all bets are off - and I might look into doing something in the trusts arena... always enjoyed the subject ...

You with the open University? I would think its pretty tough doing such a large amount of work in your free time
Reply 6
Lawzzzzzz
Well it all depends on the results of my exams which I am presently right in the middle of - if they are good - then I can do the BCL at Oxford - in which case Ill do restitution, corporate and IP I think ... Otherwise all bets are off - and I might look into doing something in the trusts arena... always enjoyed the subject ...

You with the open University? I would think its pretty tough doing such a large amount of work in your free time

I did my LLb(Hons) with the OU. Took me 4 years and it was pretty tough studying in the evenings after doing a day's work.

I'm doing an LLM with Northumbria.
Reply 7
Howard
I did my LLb(Hons) with the OU. Took me 4 years and it was pretty tough studying in the evenings after doing a day's work.

Is your aim to collect the degrees? (I know one guy who has like 8 degrees from OU) or To go into the profession? Or to teach? Ive been really interested by teaching - but to be honest I dont think I have courage... too scared to live hand to mouth
Reply 8
Lawzzzzzz

Crikey. Good luck m8. You need a First to get on the BCL if you come from any uni other than Oxford.
Reply 9
Vitriol
Crikey. Good luck m8. You need a First to get on the BCL if you come from any uni other than Oxford.

Yeah I know - Ive got the offer and the place - to be honest though even if you come from Oxford you need a first - its VERY doubtful you get in with a 2:1...

I am basically on a first - just need a 68% in one exam this year... but you never know
Reply 10
Nice one. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 11
Vitriol
Nice one. Good luck. :smile:

Reply 12
Lawzzzzzz
I might look into doing something in the trusts arena... always enjoyed the subject ...

I agree, Lawzzzzzz, law can be great but the workload can be heavy. What trusts options are there on the B.C.L.?
Reply 13
J-z
I agree, Lawzzzzzz, law can be great but the workload can be heavy. What trusts options are there on the B.C.L.?

on the BCL none really - its more of an LLB course - so you can do it on the MJUR if you wish, ... if I don't get the 68% then I think there are some advanced trust options at KCL's LLM - seeing as we have the top academic on the topic. However I got my fingers crossed for my next two exams :smile:
Reply 14
my friend who's doing law at ox isn't exactly inspired by the subject but he seems to survive... :smile:
muncrun
I'm doing it at uni at the moment. I <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=love&v=55">love</a> the subject, I really do. DON'T go into it just for the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=money&v=55">money</a>. You'll be gone within a year.

What made me want to do it in the first place? I really enjoy analysing serious issues and formulating arguments and opinions. I also think <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=law&v=55">law</a> is a great way to learn about the world in general. <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=Law&v=55">Law</a> encompasses many things from politics to history; from philosophy to current affairs.

It's a subject where very often there are no clear-cut answers. It's very complex at times and it takes perseverance to make things 'click'. If you enjoy tackling complex issues, analysing them to form an opinion and then forcefully arguing that opinion, then you will find <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=law&v=55">law</a> very rewarding.

Damn, I should write prospectuses for a living. :wink:

if you enjoy politics and history, will you enjoy law? As these are the two subjects i enjoy most and was thinking about doing business and a conversion into law
Reply 16
Someone mentioned it earlier in the the thread but my advice is dont choose law just becasue it sounds impressive or becasue you think you will end up earning loads of money - thats why i chose it and i ended up dropping out after the first term - make sure its really what you want to do before putting it down - if you choose to do law you will find yourself working far harder than everyone apart from the medics at uni and not everyone, me included, wants to do this
Reply 17
Howard

Is Northumbria good for law?? :confused:
Reply 18
I'm studying Law with Legal Studies in Europe at Oxford. It's a challenging course, interesting at times, but you really have to be up for all the reading. I don't want to work as a lawyer in the future but that's down to my own perception of how able I am and not because of the work, per se. I'll probably end up doing a course in Criminal Psychology after my degree...which is a good thing about the degree; it opens you up to various options you could take in determining a prosperous career.

Latest

Trending

Trending