The Student Room Group

Newbie to Access to Science

Hey guys, just applied to start an Access to Science course in September after having a complete life overhaul and deciding that my current career in Civil Engineering was not for me. Let's say I did pretty well in secondary school but absolutely fluffed my college days.

Anyways, that's all besides the point. Can any of you awesome Access to Science guys point me in the direction of any of your learning materials? Like text books, revision books and any websites so I can start studying way ahead? Really itching to give myself the best start and it's been like 3 years since I've been in Education and 5 since I did anything Science-related. Going to go get the AQA GCSE Science Revision guide to pick up the basics and head from there.

So what do you say guys, can you give a fella a helping hand? Also, any advice on the Access course is very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Depending on where your going will depend on the books you require, for example some colleges do phycology/sociology modulus where as others to physics, however the books I've used are:
Advanced Biology M.Kent (2000)
Concepts of medical physics Dr. shahid Mawji
Advanced chemistry for you

Links below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0199141959/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1423217766&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=advanced+biology&dpPl=1&dpID=5112H5-IgZL&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/129130701X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1423217834&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=Concept+of+medical+physics

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0748752978/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1423217872&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=advanced+chemistry+for+you&dpPl=1&dpID=51677kckB3L&ref=plSrch

Now, if I was you I would start reading through them now because Access courses are really intensive. The biology one is brilliant, the physics one is ok, if you have an ok understanding of maths, being an engineer you should be fine and the chemistry one is ok but sometimes it doesn't go into as much detail as required.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks Tom, I'll check them out right now. I'm aiming to make Chemistry the focus of my studies since I'm gunning for a Chemistry degree or a Pharmacy degree.
Fair enough remember though you need to get grades across the board, for example you may need say 24 distinctions overall, so you can't get them all from chemistry, usually I have found that biology offers most followed by chemistry, so I focused on those 2 much more then physics and maths, it's just about time management really, if you go on www.chem4kids.com that gives you a really nice easy to follow basics on the topic that helped me out a lot during my preparing, afterwards you can look at chem guide to get the most of the content

Posted from TSR Mobile
We were recommended access to chemistry it's really useful for the basics

Posted from TSR Mobile
A level chemistry books will cover a lot of what you need. That and watching some of the great videos on YouTube.

I read up on atoms, types of bonding, the periodic table, balancing equations and stuff like that. It's really helped so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also forgot to mention khan academy videos are amazing atm I'm doing redox reactions and they are so helpful for that but also other subjects ie maths. Also it's very useful to learn the first 20 elements of by heart

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm a fan of those, and Crash Course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending