The Student Room Group

Navy Fitness Test 2.4k: Increasing speed for male time limit (I'm female)?

Current time limits for people 15-24:
Men: 11 min 09s
Women: 13 min 10s

Me: 12 min 0s

I'm moderately - but not very - fit. I can easily do 2.4k in 12 minutes without any special training. However, on principle, I want to make an effort to be able to do it in the men's time limit.

My test is in 1-2 months (date not set yet). The test is on a treadmill, and at the moment I have been running on pavements with the occasional minor hill (so moving to a treadmill should shave a few seconds off anyway).

Can I get down to 11 min 09s in this time? What is the best way of doing it?
(edited 9 years ago)
It's hard to know how much you'll improve, but I think the best way is to just run more in general, mostly at an easy/conversational pace.

For dedicated improvement (though you can't do this all year round), you can also do some harder stuff like 8x400m intervals with 1-2 mins rest between- where you should aim to do each rep at a faster pace than you can run for 2.4km. After some time you'll get faster
Reply 2
When I was training to run a specific time the best method I found was to get on a treadmill and set the speed so that I will hit the exact time. With this I get a good feel of the pace and how far off I am. I guess you prefer running outdoors but if you are preparing for a treadmill test then you should get some experience on the treadmill so you 100% know that you are capable.
Reply 3
Original post by OUMN91
When I was training to run a specific time the best method I found was to get on a treadmill and set the speed so that I will hit the exact time. With this I get a good feel of the pace and how far off I am. I guess you prefer running outdoors but if you are preparing for a treadmill test then you should get some experience on the treadmill so you 100% know that you are capable.

That's good advice. As far as I'm aware they don't even make us do it on an incline to simulate the resistance of running outside, so I'm expecting it to be easier on a treadmill, but it certainly makes sense to try it a few times before the test.

Setting the time so you are working on distance rather than speed is also a very good idea - thanks!
Reply 4
Mods, would you mind deleting this thread?
Original post by Octohedral
Mods, would you mind deleting this thread?

How did you do?!
Reply 6
Original post by hezzlington
How did you do?!

11:45 on my pre-joining fitness test, and since then my best has been 11:20 on a running track. My aim is sub-11, but it's amazing how much harder those extra few seconds are! :smile:

I have been running 2 miles (2.4k is 1.5 miles) at 11:45 speed during my practices, plus hill sprints. Reckon I can reach sub-11 with some dedication...
Original post by Octohedral
11:45 on my pre-joining fitness test, and since then my best has been 11:20 on a running track. My aim is sub-11, but it's amazing how much harder those extra few seconds are! :smile:

I have been running 2 miles (2.4k is 1.5 miles) at 11:45 speed during my practices, plus hill sprints. Reckon I can reach sub-11 with some dedication...
Well done, particularly for the one outside that's a good time :smile:

I had a go at this at the gym and I find the best way is just to set the treadmill at a given speed to allow you to reach a certain time (can work this out beforehand) and then grit your teeth and go for it, iirc if you set it to 13.5kmph for around 9 mins and then put it up to 15kmph for the last bit then you should end up with a time around 11 mins (can't remember exactly though so definitely do the calculations first!)
I think you can do it 1-2 months time. You are doing great without proper training how much more if you train for it.

Quick Reply

Latest