The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Renting or GradPad or Goodenough College? (overseas postgraduate)

Hi guys, I am going to start my postgraduate course in Imperial this October. :smile: I'm a non-EU student and it will be my first time to study abroad.

It seems that Imperial only offer accommodation for postgraduate through GradPad. I've considered applying for a room in Griffon Studios (about 220 pounds pw), but it is a bit far from the Kensington campus.

I am also looking for some other private postgraduate halls, such as Goodenough College and Unite Students. Goodenough College looks quite awesome.

Renting is more flexible and cost-effective. I cannot view the house by myself now, so it is hard to make the choice before I go to London.:s-smilie:

What do you guys think about your future accommodation? Can anyone offer some suggestions pls.:colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Wanted to chime in on Goodenough College to give my review.

Short version: Skip it.

I disliked living there so much I actually terminated my lease early and moved out. I'll offer my lengthy Goodenough College review here in hopes it can provide useful information to others searching for it in the future.

Some complaints in detail:

1. The WiFi is painfully slow - like dial-up circa 1995 slow. It makes a Skype video call impossible and downloading large files (like journal articles for school) takes eons. They swore they were 'upgrading' their network numerous times, but as of Jan 2015 it was still slow as molasses. Total deal-breaker for me.

2. The administration (in general) is very disorganised. Their members handbook is so out of date telling you to call numbers that have been blocked or disconnected and listing email addresses for admin contacts that bounce back because the addresses don't exist. Servicemen turned up at my door unannounced multiple times saying they needed access inside my room. As a woman alone, this made me very uncomfortable especially since the college administration swore it would communicate if/when a building staff person would come beforehand. Also, I had important paperwork lost by the administration more than once so I just planned on having to submit any/everything multiple times. Basically it was a bit too much like living in Fawlty Towers.

3. Noise, noise, noise. William Goodenough House is very poorly insulated. If you aren't on the top floor, you'll hear footsteps of the people in the corridor above you all day and all night long. It's an absurd, oppressive amount of noise with thudthudthud overhead. The smoke detectors go off (unnecessarily) at least 5x/week - sometimes at 1.00 and you're woken up in the middle of the night. The bin trucks come at 7.00 to collect recycling and trash. If you ever plan on sleeping in and/or sleeping through the night, good luck in William Goodenough House.

4. The vast majority of the 'clubs' and 'events' require you to pay additional money to participate in them. There's a tremendous amount of pressure to 'contribute to the community', to be part of various societies, and so on. That's all well and good, but it ain't free. Just know your rent does not/will not cover these additional things you're meant to be participating in.

I have other gripes with Goodenough (the unimpressive food at the dining hall, the fact that when I checked in my room was FILTHY, etc) but that should give you the gist.

All of this said, the members I met were by and large really lovely. I just wish the administration could get their act together and run a tighter ship. In the meantime, I'd advise staying away from this place.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Same boat as you, will study at Kensington campus. I'm thinking of starting with gradpad for a month or two (if leaving early is possible) and when I get there I could start looking for some apartment sharing for reasonably less.
(edited 9 years ago)
I live in GradPad Wood Lane. It's pretty awesome. Internet is very fast, soundproofing is very good (I didn't know the room beside mine is occupied for MONTHS!), it's generally clean and administration is responsive, etc.

Only downside is the price and the fact that it's a little far from Imperial (takes me about 35 minutes total). And that the rooms are pretty small.
Reply 4
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
I live in GradPad Wood Lane. It's pretty awesome. Internet is very fast, soundproofing is very good (I didn't know the room beside mine is occupied for MONTHS!), it's generally clean and administration is responsive, etc.

Only downside is the price and the fact that it's a little far from Imperial (takes me about 35 minutes total). And that the rooms are pretty small.

Curious, how didn't you end up at the griffon studios? Was it Wood Lane by choice? Although I've been reading some discouraging stuff about griffon too (sucky internet, bad administration and service) so meh :s-smilie:
Original post by Exci
Curious, how didn't you end up at the griffon studios? Was it Wood Lane by choice? Although I've been reading some discouraging stuff about griffon too (sucky internet, bad administration and service) so meh :s-smilie:

It was by choice. From what I heard, the Griffon area isn't quite as safe. Though I have never actually visited, so I have no idea if it's actually true.

Having Westfield nearby is also very convenient.
Reply 6
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
It was by choice. From what I heard, the Griffon area isn't quite as safe. Though I have never actually visited, so I have no idea if it's actually true.

Having Westfield nearby is also very convenient.

Fair enough. Did you have to pay up front the whole year to gradpad? I read that's the case when you don't have a guarantor in the UK.
Original post by Exci
Fair enough. Did you have to pay up front the whole year to gradpad? I read that's the case when you don't have a guarantor in the UK.

Yes.
Original post by Exci
Same boat as you, will study at Kensington campus. I'm thinking of starting with gradpad for a month or two (if leaving early is possible) and when I get there I could start looking for some apartment sharing for reasonably less.

Hey,

From the website, early leave is not allowed unless you can find someone (also postgraduate students from 7 uni GradPad is affiliated with) can take over the rest of your contract (51-week normally). I don't know if I get it wrong but it seems like it's hard to find a take-over.:confused:
Reply 9
Original post by jc00071186
Hey,

From the website, early leave is not allowed unless you can find someone (also postgraduate students from 7 uni GradPad is affiliated with) can take over the rest of your contract (51-week normally). I don't know if I get it wrong but it seems like it's hard to find a take-over.:confused:

Yeah I soon found out about this after seeing a post about someone looking for another student to take over. It wouldn't matter though in mycase since I'm EU and I'd have to give full deposit up front anyway.
Original post by Exci
Yeah I soon found out about this after seeing a post about someone looking for another student to take over. It wouldn't matter though in mycase since I'm EU and I'd have to give full deposit up front anyway.

I see!
But, I am wondering if most postgraduates live in Gradpad or they just look for private housing or halls that aren't affiliated with IC?
Reply 11
The same as you, Wood lane and Griffon seem quite nice on the website,wood lane looks like is bigger than griffon.But they are both expensive and far away from Kensington campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hi! I am also starting my MSc in October.. I am originally from NYC.. Does anyone know of students who rent apartments? It seems they are the best value for money..
thoughts?
Reply 13
There's this website, but not sure how many people use it
Original post by sampin
Hi! I am also starting my MSc in October.. I am originally from NYC.. Does anyone know of students who rent apartments? It seems they are the best value for money..
thoughts?

The problem with renting apartments is that you have to go see it in person, because there are many scammers.

However, that means you either need to come early (and pay for a few more weeks/months), or you will only get to choose from the leftovers, since by the time the term is about to start, almost all the apartments will be taken already.

For me, if I had to quit my job early to come look for housing, my lost wages would most certainly be greater than any saving I'll be able to find, so I just booked GradPad.
Reply 15
Thanks! I think you're right I would have to come early... However, I've heard it can be difficult to terminate an agreement/contract with gradpad or even get someone to take over if you decide to move. On the plus side, the housing/renting market in London is so dynamic so it allows a lot time for consideration!
Original post by sampin
Thanks! I think you're right I would have to come early... However, I've heard it can be difficult to terminate an agreement/contract with gradpad or even get someone to take over if you decide to move. On the plus side, the housing/renting market in London is so dynamic so it allows a lot time for consideration!

Yeah the only way to terminate contract is by finding someone else to take over. I'm not sure how difficult that is.
Original post by Exci
There's this website, but not sure how many people use it

hi sorry for reviving a month old thread now, but need to ask how to use this website as it seems we have to login with an Imperial students account. since I'll be a new student, I don't know when I'll get my login details and I'm afraid by that time it'll already be too late to find accommodation....
Reply 18
Original post by PhenolphthaleinX
hi sorry for reviving a month old thread now, but need to ask how to use this website as it seems we have to login with an Imperial students account. since I'll be a new student, I don't know when I'll get my login details and I'm afraid by that time it'll already be too late to find accommodation....

Hey, it's independent from your imperial account, just send them an e-mail and request a password. I can't load the page right now for some reason but I think they mention somewhere within the website the e-mail you're supposed to send to.
I live at Goodenough and I completely disagree. Its very social and I've made so many great friends. There are a few pesky PhD students and families who complain about the noise but all parties have to end at 11pm so it is very tame. I wouldn't move into student halls if you wanted 100% peace and quiet. But the college really does their best to keep everyone happy and keep a quiet study environment whilst creating a social fun atmosphere

Original post by PutTheArtInParty
Wanted to chime in on Goodenough College to give my review.

Short version: Skip it.

I disliked living there so much I actually terminated my lease early and moved out. I'll offer my lengthy Goodenough College review here in hopes it can provide useful information to others searching for it in the future.

Some complaints in detail:

1. The WiFi is painfully slow - like dial-up circa 1995 slow. It makes a Skype video call impossible and downloading large files (like journal articles for school) takes eons. They swore they were 'upgrading' their network numerous times, but as of Jan 2015 it was still slow as molasses. Total deal-breaker for me.

2. The administration (in general) is very disorganised. Their members handbook is so out of date telling you to call numbers that have been blocked or disconnected and listing email addresses for admin contacts that bounce back because the addresses don't exist. Servicemen turned up at my door unannounced multiple times saying they needed access inside my room. As a woman alone, this made me very uncomfortable especially since the college administration swore it would communicate if/when a building staff person would come beforehand. Also, I had important paperwork lost by the administration more than once so I just planned on having to submit any/everything multiple times. Basically it was a bit too much like living in Fawlty Towers.

3. Noise, noise, noise. William Goodenough House is very poorly insulated. If you aren't on the top floor, you'll hear footsteps of the people in the corridor above you all day and all night long. It's an absurd, oppressive amount of noise with thudthudthud overhead. The smoke detectors go off (unnecessarily) at least 5x/week - sometimes at 1.00 and you're woken up in the middle of the night. The bin trucks come at 7.00 to collect recycling and trash. If you ever plan on sleeping in and/or sleeping through the night, good luck in William Goodenough House.

4. The vast majority of the 'clubs' and 'events' require you to pay additional money to participate in them. There's a tremendous amount of pressure to 'contribute to the community', to be part of various societies, and so on. That's all well and good, but it ain't free. Just know your rent does not/will not cover these additional things you're meant to be participating in.

I have other gripes with Goodenough (the unimpressive food at the dining hall, the fact that when I checked in my room was FILTHY, etc) but that should give you the gist.

All of this said, the members I met were by and large really lovely. I just wish the administration could get their act together and run a tighter ship. In the meantime, I'd advise staying away from this place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending