The Student Room Group

Hull named least romantic place in Britain - London is the most!

Apparently, Hull is the least romantic place in Britain 2015 - the 2014 winner was Slough! :K:

:london: London has also been voted most romantic - not exactly my cuppa tea but I guess it has its merits!

http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/04/want-some-sexy-time-this-valentines-day-best-avoid-hull-5049567/

The top ten most and least romantic places in Britain have been published! Is your town/city on there?

How romantic do you find your hometown to be?

Did Hull get judged too harshly?

:heart:

Scroll to see replies

Not surprised, I constantly hear people saying that places like Hull are hellholes.
Hull is alright tbf. Not a dear place to go, some charming pubs and a nice harbour. Rubbish football ground, but the town's better than Swindon, for example. Nothing exciting about the place, but the football ground's better than Hull's.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Not surprised, I constantly hear people saying that places like Hull are hellholes.

I went to Hull once, I didn't think it too bad! People that come from there often really love it!

Original post by rockrunride
Hull is alright tbf. Better than Swindon. Swindon is properly rubbish.

I have never been to Swindon, but I bet it is better than Grantham... :s-smilie:
Agree with a lot of that list.. Thought it would mainly be cities but I am happy to see more rural areas there aswell..

Would personally have London a little bit lower though
Reply 5
Hull gets too much bad press to be honest. The estates may be incredibly bad, but Hull City Centre itself isn't that bad. Most of the worst places in Hull people don't even go. Rotherham should have been on the worst list. Incredibly depressing place.

Why is London 1st? Some huge London bias imo. If London is up there then why not Edinburgh? Edinburgh felt way more romantic than London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by datpiff
Hull gets too much bad press to be honest. The estates may be incredibly bad, but Hull City Centre itself isn't that bad. Most of the worst places in Hull people don't even go. Rotherham should have been on the worst list. Incredibly depressing place.

Why is London 1st? Some huge London bias imo. If London is up there then why not Edinburgh? Edinburgh felt way more romantic than London.

I think someone once told me that Hull had white telephone boxes, is this true?

And i agree, Edinburgh is a lovely city - much more romantic than London! Also Oxford should be up there - the dreaming spires! :love:
Reply 7
Sick of all **** Swindon receives, I've travelled plenty over the years and each town/city i've visited has it's **** areas.

London is so overated, having had the pleasure of driving to places like DC and NY, the sites you are greeted with when driving into London are abysmal, far worse than Swindon also.
York and Bath are lovely places.
I do agree Slough looks terrible. Its an industrial city so what do you expect. Hull looks like a really nice city though.
Tbh I think Oxford and Cambridge have more romance about them, though London is a beautiful city; Regent's Street at Christmas is fantastic, as is walking along the Thames Embankment in winter or sitting up on Primrose Hill overlooking the city with a few mates and six pack on a warm summer's evening.

London is bloody fantastic, I couldn't imagine living elsewhere (and I have lived elsewhere for most of my life... I've adopted London by choice... or rather, it adopted me)
Nobody say anything bad about Hull! :fuhrer:

I met my first true love there :love:
Reply 12

So the rumours of white telephone boxes are true! Amazing....
Original post by Condog10
Did Hull get judged too harshly?

:heart:

From looking at the Metro's statistics, no. :tongue: 19% voted Hell Hull the worst with Birmingham in second place, 8% behind (which is actually a huge gap when you look at all the stats together).

I love how Phillip Larkin described Hull as a dump. :lol:
I lived near Hull for 3 months and I had a threesome with two really hot girls so that raises it up in my estimations, but I do agree that the city is filled with ***** and the city itself looks like a hellhole. London can be romantic in many areas but other parts are completely the opposite., for example I don't know what could be less romantic in a crowded street surrounded by other tourists and locals with no room to move at all.

Now call me biased because I am scottish but Edinburgh should certainly be right up there and many places in the Scottish Highlands can be incredibly romantic like the lake district on steroids, in the summer anyway when it's not snowing and raining lol.
Original post by rockrunride
Hull is alright tbf. Not a dear place to go, some charming pubs and a nice harbour. Rubbish football ground, but the town's better than Swindon, for example. Nothing exciting about the place, but the football ground's better than Hull's.

Until someone breaks into my dad's car in Swindon I will forever beg to differ.

Original post by gjaylward
Sick of all **** Swindon receives, I've travelled plenty over the years and each town/city i've visited has it's **** areas.

There's nothing really stand out about Swindon in both good and bad. I've never done clubbing in Swindon so I couldn't comment on those, but I hope our opinion of the place isn't inflated due to familiarity. Personally, people are just jealous really. It's that spot between Bristol and London, probably one of the best places in southern England to be within reasonable distance of everywhere good.

Original post by datpiff
Most of the worst places in Hull people don't even go. Rotherham should have been on the worst list. Incredibly depressing place.

Evidently someone thinks that child rape by Pakistanis is 'romantic'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hull's got a down sounding monosyllable of a name... but is rather good for a night out.
Original post by Joinedup
Hull's got a down sounding monosyllable of a name... but is rather good for a night out.

Kingston-Upon-Hull is a much more up-market place than Hull.

From Hell, Hull and Halifax, the God Lord deliver us.
Nothing beats Bradistan.
Original post by Blackshadow
Nothing beats Bradistan.

Due to an odd quirk Bradford always does well in these sort of surveys. The boundaries of Bradford are very widely spread and Haworth is within the Bradford city boundary.

O Cathy

O Heathcliffe

etc

etc

Quick Reply

Latest