The Student Room Group

Pope said it's OK to spank children at home

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clh_hilary
I've worked in five primary, nine secondary, one special needs', and two tutorial schools.

I have taught pupils who kept shouting in class, who walked around all the time in class, who kept throwing rubber bands towards each other and the teachers in class, who kept throwing rulers and all sorts of stuff out the window, who talked back always, who picked up chairs and threw at each other.

Never once did I need to physically smack them to make them behave and stop those behaviour, and every time they changed and behaved after a few weeks at most. It's about building a good rapport and a desirable learning attitude.

Smacking them only prove to them that violence is the answer, and not only that, but that normal people in our day-to-day life uses it to solve problems.

That's great, but looking after children for a while is not the same as having them all the time. Smacking isn't ideal, but people aren't perfect and a smack is very different from beating the child up.
Original post by Falcatas
Smacking a child is horrible. You shouldn't be having children if you think that is acceptable.
Condoning the use of violence to get someone to obey is the problem with society. You can't promote a peaceful society based on voluntary cooperation free from violence while still condoning violence against children.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-belkin/spanking-is-wrong_b_1659964.html

His Holiness is not having children, even though some of the former popes did have.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
For some reason behavior that isn't acceptable to dish out on your fellow adults becomes perfectly fine when it is taken out on defenseless children :indiff:

The current pope has been saying too much good progressive (by pope standards) stuff for far too long. It's about time he said something like this.

It's very progressive. The appropriate biblical punishment is to stone the children to death.

Original post by EllieC130
Lol I'm sorry; I was willing to accept your opinion wholly but that is the dumbest thing I've ever read. How the hell would being smacked effect how intelligent I turned out? Answer- it wouldn't.

That was what your original post suggested. You were trying to establish a link between your going to university and being smacked.

That or just that you like having irrelevant random comments.

Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
I don't know why people care what this guy has to say, but I do agree you should be able to hit kids. As long as you know the difference between punishing them and abusing them.

Because he's God's direct messenger and he's one of the few infallible people on earth.

Original post by Shabalala
People who hit their child do it to cause the child pain so they associate that pain with a certain action in the hope that they won't do it again, that is basically torture! how would you like it if every time you made a mistake at work your boss punched you in the back of the head? yes you wouldn't so why do you think it's acceptable to do it to a child who can't defend themselves?

A parent that has to rely on causing their child pain to make them behave is just a terrible parent it's as simple as that, it's easy to discipline and raise a child correctly without having to rely on hitting them, my parents never once hit me yet they still instilled discipline in me.

Because most children won't sue them.

Religious people claim that people are only moral because of the threat of hell and the watching of god, so it only makes sense that they'd do anything if there are no consequences.
Oh yeah, I bet he's all over those little fresh, pink altar boy bottoms. Right up his street.
I was spanked and turned out just fine. Most kids these days are so fu**ing sensitive and brats it's ridiculous.
Original post by qwertyking
That's great, but looking after children for a while is not the same as having them all the time. Smacking isn't ideal, but people aren't perfect and a smack is very different from beating the child up.

Having one child to take care of is a lot easier than taking care of 30 in a room, or 1000 in the playground.

This is of course also ignoring the fact that children spend almost nine hours in schools, sometimes even more, every day; whilst parents, especially working ones and those who put them in childcare of their grandparents'/relatives', see them few hours, especially when you consider the fact that most of those hours are sleeping hours.

There are no excuses. On top of these experiences, I also have had lots of experiences with emotionally difficult children from very difficult backgrounds in different years, as well as a younger brother (a decade younger) to take care of at home. And I don't even come from a difficult background myself so it's not that I was born into it or anything.

If I can do it, anyone can do it. Even you and Franky.
Original post by Maid Marian
Of course its ok, I agree with him and will spank my own children.

I'm sure you'll make a fine mother :h:.
Having one child to take care of is a lot easier than taking care of 30 in a room, or 1000 in the playground.

This is of course also ignoring the fact that children spend almost nine hours in schools, sometimes even more, every day; whilst parents, especially working ones and those who put them in childcare of their grandparents'/relatives', see them few hours, especially when you consider the fact that most of those hours are sleeping hours.

There are no excuses. On top of these experiences, I also have had lots of experiences with emotionally difficult children from very difficult backgrounds in different years, as well as a younger brother (a decade younger) to take care of at home. And I don't even come from a difficult background myself so it's not that I was born into it or anything.

If I can do it, anyone can do it. Even you and Franky.

You are incredibly arrogant. A teacher can hand the children back - parents often feel trapped and many are dealing with very difficult issues.
Original post by qwertyking
You are incredibly arrogant. A teacher can hand the children back - parents often feel trapped and many are dealing with very difficult issues.

I'm so incredibly arrogant I don't think I can do something not everybody else could.
I'm so incredibly arrogant I don't think I can do something not everybody else could.

Spanking does not cause harm and is not the same thing as physical abuse. My mum was spanked and she turned out to be an amazing mother because of it. I get spanked too and lord knows if my parents just gave me the verbal spanking I would be a brat no one would want to associate themselves with.
Original post by Ekemini
Spanking does not cause harm and is not the same thing as physical abuse. My mum was spanked and she turned out to be an amazing mother because of it. I get spanked too and lord knows if my parents just gave me the verbal spanking I would be a brat no one would want to associate themselves with.

Another evidence showing that being spanked lead to someone spanking other people as well.

There's no way of knowing if your mother was an amazing mother because of having been spanked; perhaps she could be even better. And quite obviously so.

At the same time, you cannot say you would be a brat if they hadn't spanked you. You still seem like one; and in any case, could have been an even better person.

You don't have an argument. Neither of your interpretations of the cases could be considered facts.

You might not be arrogant, but has anybody ever told you that you're incredibly sarcastic?
Original post by lustawny
You might not be arrogant, but has anybody ever told you that you're incredibly sarcastic?

Nope.

Someone once said I was 'cynical' so thank you for your compliment.
Another evidence showing that being spanked lead to someone spanking other people as well.

There's no way of knowing if your mother was an amazing mother because of having been spanked; perhaps she could be even better. And quite obviously so.

At the same time, you cannot say you would be a brat if they hadn't spanked you. You still seem like one; and in any case, could have been an even better person.

You don't have an argument. Neither of your interpretations of the cases could be considered facts.

And exactly where did you get the feeling I seem like a brat?
His Holiness is not having children, even though some of the former popes did have.

He is promoting the use of violence against those who can't defend themselves.
(edited 9 years ago)
He's right. It did no harm to me and the millions of other children who were disciplined in the same way. There is a difference between violence and using it as discipline imo.
Original post by NathanW18
He's right. It did no harm to me and the millions of other children who were disciplined in the same way. There is a difference between violence and using it as discipline imo.

So when you use it for discipline, it's no longer violence?

I think you're very naughty, would you like to come over and let me spank you?

You're avoiding my earlier question: Where did you get the feeling that I seem like a brat?

I feel that way, yeah. I don't feel like my parents were ever violent with me. They smacked me when I was clearly in the wrong. If they smacked me for no reason, other than because they could, yeah, that would have been child abuse.

It doesn't really work with adults.
Original post by Ekemini
You're avoiding my earlier question: Where did you get the feeling that I seem like a brat?

It's against the rules to go off topic and talk about individual members, so I'll just do this briefly: In this thread and many other threads (some of which were created by you), you came off as such. If anything, the fact that you feel you're entitled to an answer, and would keep forcing someone on to talking to you makes you one.

Regardless, as I've said that's beyond the point; the thing is whether you're a brat or not, you cannot rule out the possibility that you could have been a(n even) better person were you never spanked.
Original post by NathanW18
I feel that way, yeah. I don't feel like my parents were ever violent with me. They smacked me when I was clearly in the wrong. If they smacked me for no reason, other than because they could, yeah, that would have been child abuse.

It doesn't really work with adults.

Why doesn't it work with adults?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending