The Student Room Group

OCR A Level Biology Controlled Assessment Help!

Hi,

I'm doing my controlled assessment for OCR biology (as level) and we have all 3 (qualitative, quantitative and evaluative) next week and we know two of the practicals.

One is about the proteins in eggs and the the precipitates they form and another is the pigment leaking out of beetroot under different temperatures

Could anyone explain the science behind these experiments or how to do well (preferably an A) in the controlled assessments, we only have 2 lessons to finish each controlled assessments so I'm a bit worried

I have just done the experiment with the beetroot and the evaluative task the other week as part of my controlled assessment. You have plenty of time to do your actual experiment and write your results down.
Some tips that I would give you would be to:
-Read the method once or twice before you actually start the experiment itself.
-Don't stress and make sure you read the method properly, highlight any important key points you need to keep in mind when following the instructions.
-Go step by step and tick the steps once you have done them.
-It does not matter what sort of results you get as long as you get the right trend.
-Take your time but don't be too slow because you will surely have plenty of time to finish.

After you done your experiment you will record your results. Then you will receive another booklet which will have two questions asking you about the trend of your graph that you will have to plot and it will also ask you to take a reading from your graph.

Remember to have the x and y axis labelled properly with the units. Remember to start from a zero and have your values equidistant from each other e.g. if you are going up in tens then stick to that (10,20,30,40,50etc). This goes the same for the concentration (y-axis) which will go from 0.1 all the way up to 5 so you have to make sure that these values are equidistant too. Your actual curve has to be a curve of best fit so don't join up your dots but make a neat curve. Don't draw your line past the last result because you don't know what results you would get if you would test for a higher temperature/concentration. Again, take your time and don't rush it. Check your answers and make sure they make scientific sense. Also, THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE - it will allow you to get your thoughts together and it will help to include the key words. When analysing the graph in the question make sure to state the main trend and then explain what happens at the start and when the curve starts to increase rapidly. Basically break down the graph into two sections and talk about it separately.

As for the evaluative task you will be asked:
- To list three limitations and how they might have effected your results.
- To describe what the results represent and suggest why.
- To define 'partially permeable'.
- Why you had to rinse your beetroot discs after cutting them.
and some other questions so make sure to thoroughly revise the phospholipid bilayer and different effects on it of temperature.

The beetroot experiment has been done before by OCR too so there should be a lot of resources on the internet on this experiment. The general knowledge behind the whole beetroot experiment is that belatain (red pigment) is found in the vacuole which is surrounded by tonoplast. The higher the temperature, the more belatain should leak out of the cell because the phospholipid bilayer is affected and the proteins become denatured etc. etc. (I'd recommend to research more on that yourself). Remember that belatain is a large molecule so it cannot use simple diffusion. (Research more on that). Make sure to revise different types of transport of molecules.

Do some more research yourself as I found some resources online. That's all I got to give but its a lot of information so I hope it helps. I don't know if it will secure you an A but that's the general pattern that I followed and hopefully I got a good grade.

Hope I helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by biankameow
I have just done the experiment with the beetroot and the evaluative task the other week as part of my controlled assessment. You have plenty of time to do your actual experiment and write your results down.
Some tips that I would give you would be to:
-Read the method once or twice before you actually start the experiment itself.
-Don't stress and make sure you read the method properly, highlight any important key points you need to keep in mind when following the instructions.
-Go step by step and tick the steps once you have done them.
-It does not matter what sort of results you get as long as you get the right trend.
-Take your time but don't be too slow because you will surely have plenty of time to finish.

After you done your experiment you will record your results. Then you will receive another booklet which will have two questions asking you about the trend of your graph that you will have to plot and it will also ask you to take a reading from your graph.

Remember to have the x and y axis labelled properly with the units. Remember to start from a zero and have your values equidistant from each other e.g. if you are going up in tens then stick to that (10,20,30,40,50etc). This goes the same for the concentration (y-axis) which will go from 0.1 all the way up to 5 so you have to make sure that these values are equidistant too. Your actual curve has to be a curve of best fit so don't join up your dots but make a neat curve. Don't draw your line past the last result because you don't know what results you would get if you would test for a higher temperature/concentration. Again, take your time and don't rush it. Check your answers and make sure they make scientific sense. Also, THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE - it will allow you to get your thoughts together and it will help to include the key words. When analysing the graph in the question make sure to state the main trend and then explain what happens at the start and when the curve starts to increase rapidly. Basically break down the graph into two sections and talk about it separately.

As for the evaluative task you will be asked:
- To list three limitations and how they might have effected your results.
- To describe what the results represent and suggest why.
- To define 'partially permeable'.
- Why you had to rinse your beetroot discs after cutting them.
and some other questions so make sure to thoroughly revise the phospholipid bilayer and different effects on it of temperature.

The beetroot experiment has been done before by OCR too so there should be a lot of resources on the internet on this experiment. The general knowledge behind the whole beetroot experiment is that belatain (red pigment) is found in the vacuole which is surrounded by tonoplast. The higher the temperature, the more belatain should leak out of the cell because the phospholipid bilayer is affected and the proteins become denatured etc. etc. (I'd recommend to research more on that yourself). Remember that belatain is a large molecule so it cannot use simple diffusion. (Research more on that). Make sure to revise different types of transport of molecules.

Do some more research yourself as I found some resources online. That's all I got to give but its a lot of information so I hope it helps. I don't know if it will secure you an A but that's the general pattern that I followed and hopefully I got a good grade.

Hope I helped :smile:

Thank you so much!!! 😊😊 It's really helpful!
Reply 3
is the protein in eggs one the purifying proteins from blood plasma qual?
Original post by jimmcd123

yup it is, have u done it by any chance?? please help me if u have
Reply 5
What did you have to do?
Reply 6
Original post by lil_angel_101
yup it is, have u done it by any chance?? please help me if u have
Original post by jimmcd123

Any help will be appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending