The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of pharmacy in my third year?

I failed one exam in 1st year and 4 in 2nd year. I got low marks in the exams I passed. I didn't do enough work in 1st year and was unhappy in 2nd year due to outside issues. I decided to persevere and repeat and got into 3rd year. I was motivated in the 1st semester, worked hard and thought I had performed alright in my exams. While my results for two exams were alright, I still managed to fail one. My confidence is rock bottom and I feel incredibly stupid. I enjoy the course and understand the topics but I clearly can't retain the information. I have repeatedly picked myself back up and I'm not sure it's worth it anymore as I'm unsure I could make even a 2:2. I have asked for advice but it is always along the lines of: you need to learn everything more thoroughly.
Original post by jemima7
I failed one exam in 1st year and 4 in 2nd year. I got low marks in the exams I passed. I didn't do enough work in 1st year and was unhappy in 2nd year due to outside issues. I decided to persevere and repeat and got into 3rd year. I was motivated in the 1st semester, worked hard and thought I had performed alright in my exams. While my results for two exams were alright, I still managed to fail one. My confidence is rock bottom and I feel incredibly stupid. I enjoy the course and understand the topics but I clearly can't retain the information. I have repeatedly picked myself back up and I'm not sure it's worth it anymore as I'm unsure I could make even a 2:2. I have asked for advice but it is always along the lines of: you need to learn everything more thoroughly.

Don't drop out
Pharmacy is a fantastic course. But it is also very challenging. If you fail, you must persevere.
"Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but sail we must and not drift, nor lie at anchor"
Reply 2
Original post by jemima7

You might aswell try and continue. You've already paid for year one and year two so you may aswell pay for one more year. You still may be able to get a job with a 2:2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think back to what you went through to get into Pharmacy. The nerve wracking interviews, horrible science A-levels and endless revision.

As students we go through a lot and a lot of people like to brush it off as just hormones or temporary mood swings. I think you should confide in someone with your outside issues and find a solution because they seem to be the main cause on what's dragging you down.

If you feel lazy, kick yourself and understand that you have student debt to pay off soon for this course, you need to embrace every second of it, otherwise it's all just a waste. You're halfway there, don't give up!
Keep going! Remember most employers only ask for you to pass the degree rather than require a 2:1/1st etc. Experience is very valuable so if you feel that you are not very strong academically, then you can make up for it by having lots of experience at different pharmacies and sectors such as hospital/community.
I initially hated revising lectures/learning boring topics taught in the first and 2nd year but I helped myself learn by using youtube videos and reading books. You will find learning more interesting that way, some books seem very complex at first but you will get used to the content once you get into the habit of reading around the subject.

A very important exam tip! Use books to learn more in depth detail and bits the lecture doesn't talk about in much detail, write the details you can remember when you answer an exam question and you will get a decent grade! Because examiners/lecturers want to see that bit of extra knowledge not shown by other students and will be impressed that you read around the subject and not just regurgitating facts from lectures. Pay close attention to any suggested books for reading mentioned by lecturers as they will help alot! If they don't mention any books then ask!
If you hate reading books then use youtube videos to learn. You can get videos on any pretty much any topic nowadays.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending