The Student Room Group

maths problem from iGCSE textbook

A boy buys cans of pop in a shop for £10 and later finds he can buy 5 more in another shop for the same amount. How many cans did he buy?
Original post by goyakla
A boy buys cans of pop in a shop for £10 and later finds he can buy 5 more in another shop for the same amount. How many cans did he buy?

Unknown - we don't know how much money he had to begin with, or how much they cost in the other shop. ("The same amount" is ambiguous: did the five together cost £10, or was the cost per can the same?)
Reply 2
Sorry about that. Yes, the same amount means £10.
Original post by goyakla
Sorry about that. Yes, the same amount means £10.

Are you sure there was no more information?

As it stands there is more than one answer

5 would work
20 would work

I think those are the only solutions
Reply 4
I too felt that the question lacked information. It was in an exercise which required the use of solving a quadratic to answer each question but I just could not see how to formulate a quadratic from the information given. The two solutions would bear that out but can you come up with the quadratic?
Original post by goyakla
I too felt that the question lacked information. It was in an exercise which required the use of solving a quadratic to answer each question but I just could not see how to formulate a quadratic from the information given. The two solutions would bear that out but can you come up with the quadratic?

yes, I can come up with the quadratic, though it really wasn't necessary
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
yes, I can come up with the quadratic, though it really wasn't necessary

Could you tell me the quadratic?
Original post by goyakla
Could you tell me the quadratic?

What have you come up with yourself?
Reply 8
Original post by TenOfThem
What have you come up with yourself?

If you give me the quadratic I think I can work backwards towards an understanding.
Original post by goyakla
If you give me the quadratic I think I can work backwards towards an understanding.

Mn(n+5) = 100
Reply 10
How can a quadratic in two variables be solved?
Original post by goyakla
How can a quadratic in two variables be solved?

I didn't solve a quadratic ... As I said ... It was not necessary

I just looked for integer solutions

Eg 5 and 10 both go into 100
And 20 and 25 do
Reply 12
Ok Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest