The Student Room Group

Acceptable modules for AS Further Maths.

Im self studying AS further Maths as an external student.

is FP1, FP2 AND S1 an acceptable combination.
OR
is it one pure and 2 applied modules/ 3 pure modules?

Exam board Edexcel
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AI14

OR

It might depend on your exam board, but for AQA these are all acceptable. Check the specification if you're worried.
Original post by AI14

OR

acceptable but FP2 is a lot more difficult and slightly unnecessary for AS further. But I guess you can do it.
Reply 3
Original post by AI14

OR

AS Further Maths has to include FP1, the other 2 units can be anything that you haven't taken in Maths (Edexcel rules).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Compost
AS Further Maths has to include FP1, the other 2 units can be anything that you haven't taken in Maths.

For AQA this rule (mandatory FP1) doesn't apply, but I don't know for sure for the other boards.
Reply 5
Original post by morgan8002
For AQA this rule (mandatory FP1) doesn't apply, but I don't know for sure for the other boards.

You're quite right, for AQA the rules say:
AS Further Mathematics subject awardone from MFP1, MFP2, MFP3, MFP4

+
two other units from

MFP1, MFP2, MFP3, MFP4, MS1A, MS1B, MS2A, MS2B, MS03, MS04, MM1A,, MM1B, MM2A, MM2B, MM03, MM04, MM05, MD01, MD02
Reply 6
sorry just added to the exam board to the op.
Which modules are you taking for A level Maths?

There are rules about which can be in FM depending on which others you are doing.
Original post by AI14

From what I understand, for edexcel you *have* to do either Fp2 or Fp3 in A2 FM so I think you can't do it at AS (you could but it won't count towards your As grade).

Even if you could, I wouldn't recommend it. FP2 is tough and I'd recommend doing it while doing C4 and you have a year's worth of exam experience.

I'd go with something like FP1 M1 S1 or FP1 D1 S1.
SeanFM said " I'd go with something like FP1 M1 S1 or FP1 D1 S1"

How would that work for A level?

C1 to C4 M1 D1 would mean FP1 + S1 + M2/D2/S2

C1 to C4 M1 S1 would mean FP1 + D1 + M2/D2/S2

C1 to C4 S1 D1 would mean FP1 + M1 + M2/D2/S2
you're self-studying? wow. what grades are you looking to achieve?
Reply 11
Well hopefully A in Further Maths AS level :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
SeanFM said " I'd go with something like FP1 M1 S1 or FP1 D1 S1"

How would that work for A level?

C1 to C4 M1 D1 would mean FP1 + S1 + M2/D2/S2

C1 to C4 M1 S1 would mean FP1 + D1 + M2/D2/S2

C1 to C4 S1 D1 would mean FP1 + M1 + M2/D2/S2

A level could have C1-4, D1 & D2 in it. However, there is no point stressing about which applied units will go in Maths and with in FM as you don't get to choose, as algorithm sorts it out for you. Anyone taking A level maths and AS FM has to take C1-4, FP1 and 4 applied units.
Original post by AI14

I checked the EdExcel spec. You have to take FP1 and two extra modules excluding C1-4.
Original post by Compost
A level could have C1-4, D1 & D2 in it. However, there is no point stressing about which applied units will go in Maths and with in FM as you don't get to choose, as algorithm sorts it out for you. Anyone taking A level maths and AS FM has to take C1-4, FP1 and 4 applied units.

I just checked the EdExcel spec. For AS further maths, you can do up to two extra further pure modules instead of applied.
Original post by morgan8002
I just checked the EdExcel spec. For AS further maths, you can do up to two extra further pure modules instead of applied.

Absolutely true, I was trying to clarify things for the previous poster's queries about applied units and got sloppy. As I put in my post a couple of days ago, the Edexcel requirements for AS FM are FP1 and absolutely anything not done in Maths.
Compost - Exam boards do not 'sort it out for you' - they make mistakes!

Every year at least one student has to ask for modules to be arranged differently as the board has made an error. You do need to be on the ball and not trust they will get it right.
Original post by Muttley79
Compost - Exam boards do not 'sort it out for you' - they make mistakes!

Every year at least one student has to ask for modules to be arranged differently as the board has made an error. You do need to be on the ball and not trust they will get it right.

My point is that, if you read the regulations http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres students only get the choice of which units go in which A level n very specific circumstances, so there is no point in deciding your S1 will go in Maths, you do not get to choose.

In terms of allocating units to Maths and Further Maths, students are obviously welcome to check to see if the board follwoed the rules, but I have encountered many students who thought the exam board couldn't add up but had got it wrong themselves, but never an error form the exam board.
Compost - it was not me that said S1 would go in Fmaths - I was trying to point out the problem with SeanFM's idea.

You've been lucky if you've never seen an exam board error - one last year nearly lost a student a place at uni as they put ALL the high modules in maths and none in F maths. A phone call to the uni and exam board sorted it out but not before a lot of anxious calculation and checking.
Reply 19
does edexcel S2 require coursework?

Quick Reply

Latest