The Student Room Group

Just been diagnosed ....18 years later :)

SO last year I was finally diagnosed with ASD , which is Aspergers syndrome - I feel liberated , so happy , amazing :smile:
just wondered if there were anyone else out there who got diagnosed late as well and how are you finding it :smile: abster :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Happy for you, hope things get easier from here on :smile:
I don't know why you are happy to be diagnosed with something. I would rather be told I was healthy
Reply 3
Original post by Guru Jason
I don't know why you are happy to be diagnosed with something. I would rather be told I was healthy

Really? Well I diagnose you as a simpleton for this response.

It's obvious that he's happy because it's probably been a struggle for him socially and otherwise for many years Now he knows what the cause is he can maybe get some help for it. And just understanding what's causing it all must be a relief.

As others have said, if you feel that there is something causing you huge confusion being diagnosed means you can understand yourself better and apply strategies to cope with or avoid stressful situations. I wish you well with learning how to live with Aspergers and for the future.
Original post by Ebony19
Really? Well I diagnose you as a simpleton for this response.

It's obvious that he's happy because it's probably been a struggle for him socially and otherwise for many years Now he knows what the cause is he can maybe get some help for it. And just understanding what's causing it all must be a relief.

ha ha yeah thanks !! Im a she btw :P
Yeah its like if you have know you were always different, you want to know why , to give you that piece of mind

i can see where you are coming from but its not like being diagnosed with cancer ( extreme yes i know ha ha ) Yeah its like if you have know you were always different, you want to know why , to give you that piece of mind

Because it explains a lot? Yes, I'd rather healthy too. But at least with a diagnosis, you have an explanation for a lot of things.
Reply 8
Original post by drbumblebee
ha ha yeah thanks !! Im a she btw :P
Yeah its like if you have know you were always different, you want to know why , to give you that piece of mind
Sorry, you are a she!!! :smile:
Original post by Ebony19
Sorry, you are a she!!! :smile:

ha ha its fine !! the simpleton diagnosis made my day :biggrin: :biggrin:
SO last year I was finally diagnosed with ASD , which is Aspergers syndrome - I feel liberated , so happy , amazing :smile:
just wondered if there were anyone else out there who got diagnosed late as well and how are you finding it :smile: abster :smile:

I am on the verge of getting diagnosed with tourettes, ADD, anxiety disorder and a few mild illness (not getting diagnosed with these), about 5-15 years to late for me though :frown:
ha ha its fine !! the simpleton diagnosis made my day :biggrin: :biggrin:
Phew :biggrin: thought I might have ruined it by calling you a he haha wups.
Original post by Anonymous
I am on the verge of getting diagnosed with tourettes, ADD, anxiety disorder and a few mild illness (not getting diagnosed with these), about 5-15 years to late for me though :frown:

hey better late than never! I felt so amazing when they told me , I finally had an explanation and I think you will feel the same way. Getting that diagnosis puts you on the right path to understanding it and finally growing with it ( alll sounds a bit philosophical i know :biggrin:) but trust me.
Also getting a diagnosis means you can now be eligible for help that you wont get without a diagnosis .

Its all going up in the world for you. just remember a label dosent define who you are, you will still be the amazing person you are its just that medical peeps will be able to treat you more efficiently .
Have an amazing life my friend
I got diagnosed late with Autism and a load of other stuff too. The joys of having a ton of rare medical conditions and supposedly having parents who are hypochondriacs who were right all along.
Original post by Ebony19
Phew :biggrin: thought I might have ruined it by calling you a he haha wups.

trust me , ive been called worse. in fact an officer on a cadet camp i went to thought I was a boy ! it was only till he said all the lasses stand up that we went " WHAT , no your a lass ":biggrin::biggrin::redface:
Original post by OU Student
I got diagnosed late with Autism and a load of other stuff too. The joys of having a ton of rare medical conditions and supposedly having parents who are hypochondriacs who were right all along.

ha ha :'D , i kinda self diagnosed from reading A curious Tale of dog in the night time ( If you havent read it you NEEED to ) but i kept it quiet because i didnt want to be a hypochondriac lol !!!
it was only because a counsellor told me ( literally two weeks before As exams) that anything got done ha ha :,):biggrin:
Reply 16

Not quite the same, but I got diagnosed with dyspraxia and in a way it was a relief, I now understand why I was so far behind every other child.. why I still can't use a knife and fork properly, struggle to concentrate etc. and the support from uni is fabulous! They really do understand
Please don't be happy with your diagnosis :frown:. January 2005, my life ended when i was diagnosed with Autism at age 9. Since then it has progressed to Depression and Anxiety. My brother also has autism and i often think if i was the one that pass him the disorder to him

Please don't tell anyone you have autism because this will ruin you more. I wish God would could cure this horrible disorder
ha ha :'D , i kinda self diagnosed from reading A curious Tale of dog in the night time ( If you havent read it you NEEED to ) but i kept it quiet because i didnt want to be a hypochondriac lol !!!
it was only because a counsellor told me ( literally two weeks before As exams) that anything got done ha ha :,):biggrin:

I've not read that one.

I only have my diagnosis because whilst at uni, I had a rather serious depressive episode and one of my friends suggested that amongst others things, he thinks I have Autism. After I told him about my diagnosis, he told me he wasn't surprised and that it's always been obvious.

I've had a feeling for a while now that I have some sort of social autism, but have never mentioned it to people (although I wouldn't be surprised if they have guessed). Do you think I should ask someone about it? If so, how should I do it?

Quick Reply

Latest