The Student Room Group

19 and never been to clubbing

My friend's 18th birthday is coming up very soon she's planning to spend her night in one of the nightclubs in Liverpool.

I've never been to a nightclub before, and was never fond of alcohol (yes, I'm a boy.). The most I had was a can of beer. I'm starting to worry about the embarassments.

Firstly, I have no idea on what to wear for an event like this. I heard that trainers are not allowed in some clubs? Would wearing a hooded top + pair of jeans do?

Secondly, I don't know how to dance. My friends all have experience dancing and one of them is a break-dancing instructor in my uni society. I don't want to make a fool of myself standing all alone.

Third and lastly, I can't drink. Last time when I had a can of beer, I was blushing and felt very tipsy. I'm pretty sure I'll get laughed at...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You dont have to drink when you go out, i have plenty of mates that dont. Also my bf NEVER dances when out, no one thinks any less of these people. Personally a hoodie and jeans are no, jeans shoes and a nice tshirt??
Reply 2
Depends on the club when it comes to what to wear. Some are strictly shoes and shirts but some don't care what you wear at all. You should ask your friends what the club is like.

A small amount of alcohol helps with the dancing but if you don't want to drink that idea's out.
Reply 3
alright m8...as for the hoody, its a no no. but ya can wear a shirt or a long sleeve t-shirt or mayber even a short sleeve t shirt, and ya might wana wear trousers instead of jeans b'cos shoes dont go tooo well with blu jeans but loafers do. as for the being a lightweight drinker.....makes ya night CHEAPER. and the dancin well, nuffin like a bit of dutch courage

gd luk wiv da clubbin scene m8
Agreed, you don't have to get slaughtered just because everyone else does, i been to a club twice and i hated it.
Reply 5
no pressure to drink at all mate... ive got lots of friendes who dont.. just buy a j20 or water at the bar, hell of a lot cheaper....
and dont worry about dancing, all of them wont be dancing all at once if u get my meaning,

oh yeah... hell no to the hoody!!, sticka shirt or t-shirt on and jeans n shoes will be fine mate...
I feel sorry for people who have one can and get pissed, but that's not your fault mate.

If you're worried asbout the alcohol drink energy drinks of something.
Reply 7
i dont feel sorry at all.... bloody cheap night out.. im jealous as hell mate
Reply 8
clubbing aint a big deal mate.
yea u cant go dressed as a toerag or they will not let you in.they are quite strict where i live with that kind of thing.
just kinda blend into the crowd...its easy really.tbh unless you do dance like a tool no-1 will care.i most enjoy clubbing for the music.... depends on where you go i guess
just enjoy it mate.you dont wanna look back thinking i should have got more involved...just play it cool.lol
Reply 9
i love clubbing for the people really.. love talking to random strangers and meeting new people
Reply 10
Well depends what night your going out on, usually during the week they arn't that bothered about dress code, so can wear trainers, don't where a hoody tho! Also you don't have to dance at a club and u dont have to drink if u dont want either.
Reply 11
pay attention to people that can dance, and just watch the simple movements of them keeping the beat with there body. If someone asks why your not dancing yet just say its to early... After you get a good idea just start doing little steps to the beat.. and off you go.. just fit in with your m8s without drawing attention to yourself...

Hoodie in a club is a big No entry. You want something that can look smart but be casual at the same time.
Reply 12
a wise man once said ''Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance."

its not how you dance... its who you dance with and if you enjoy yourself.. go crazy and do the birdy dance... whatever!! it doesnt matter mate...

plus .. ive been known to do the odd macarena dance in the middle of the club ;-) always goes down well.. comedy dance is always a winner!"!!
Reply 13
hey...i can give you advice on the alcohol bit... you dont have to do it...i work in a nightclub and yet i dont drink...and theres absolutely nothing wrong with it...
Reply 14
welshandy
a wise man once said ''Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance."

its not how you dance... its who you dance with and if you enjoy yourself.. go crazy and do the birdy dance... whatever!! it doesnt matter mate...

plus .. ive been known to do the odd macarena dance in the middle of the club ;-) always goes down well.. comedy dance is always a winner!"!!

u shud go to latin countries.. clubs always play la macarena and EVERYONE does it.. if you cant do it your either foreign or weird haha.
Reply 15
ive started it a few times and usually you get a few people joining in.. sometimes the whole dance floor... gotta love the cheese
Reply 16
you wont get in clubs with a hoody
Anonymous
My friend's 18th birthday is coming up very soon she's planning to spend her night in one of the nightclubs in Liverpool.

I've never been to a nightclub before, and was never fond of alcohol (yes, I'm a boy.). The most I had was a can of beer. I'm starting to worry about the embarassments.

Firstly, I have no idea on what to wear for an event like this. I heard that trainers are not allowed in some clubs? Would wearing a hooded top + pair of jeans do?

Secondly, I don't know how to dance. My friends all have experience dancing and one of them is a break-dancing instructor in my uni society. I don't want to make a fool of myself standing all alone.

Third and lastly, I can't drink. Last time when I had a can of beer, I was blushing and felt very tipsy. I'm pretty sure I'll get laughed at...

mate, there's not much you can do wrong. If you're going to quite a 'classy' club then i'd suggest a shirt rather than a hoodie. In fact, wear a shirt anyway, a hoodie is not a great idea. and if you have a pair of smart shoes go for those.

also, 50% of the ppl at clubs can't dance but they try anyway coz no one cares what you do as long as you don't piss them off. i say hang with a mate (him or her) who can dance and do what he/she is doing.

As for the drink, if all your friends are pissed, its unlikely they'll notice that you're not. so don't worry abt it! :smile:
Reply 18
Anonymous
one of them is a break-dancing instructor in my uni society.

i wouldn't recommend break dancing in a club
well im 19 and i went clubbing for the first time last week. I enjoyed it, but I prefer having a nice drink in a pub. But until you try it, you won't know. There is nothing to be ashamed about, wouldn't worry about not having gone clubbing.