The Student Room Group

uni choices

Is it better to choose a good uni overall or one for your chosen course?
Go to open days to a mixture and chose one you like, don't pick one just because of a stupid league table results. If you base your decision solely on the league tables and not where you can see yourself you will soon find yourself deeply regretting the decision
Reply 2
Original post by emma0_0star

It depends on how you 'define' a "good uni overall"! :smile:

e.g. I define a "good uni overall" if it's got a fantastic course structure, fun societies to join for and really nice accommodations and also has a good location/has beautiful scenery, preferably a beach! :wink:

Meanwhile....someone might see "good uni overall" as having less examinations in the course, located in a city, night life, etc.

It's different for everyone!:biggrin:

One that's ranked high in both is always preferable, although it's important to remember that employers don't spend their days checking league tables so it might be sensible to go with the university that's generally more respected and recognised which will probably be the higher rank overall.
Reply 4

I think the best thing to do is look at the top universities in your academic range, say the top 10 or 20, and limit them according to how much you like their courses and the city and the ambience of the campus. That's another thing! Do you want a campus? Collegiate system? Or just at uni for the classes? This way you will be achieving the best you can at the places you love :smile:

Also, when I say top unis, I mean the ones most (inter)nationally acclaimed as a whole. It doesn't matter so much about subject unless it is something like LSE for Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's better to look at different unis that provide the same course, and then attend each of those uni's open days, then draw up conclusions on which unis you think were better/worse than others and why. finally, start to come about to making a decision as to which uni is your favourite. make sure that you are realistic when it comes to picking unis in terms of your likely a-level results at the end of the course. there's no point in looking at unis that give out AAB offers if your realistic performance is going to be, like, say, CCB? anyways good luck with finding your dream uni

Quick Reply

Latest