The Student Room Group

WHat is an A- Levels????

I have a question it involves with what everyone seems to know about what is an "a- level". I'm from the U.S. and i wish to study abroad:smile::s-smilie::confused:
Original post by Lexy25
I have a question it involves with what everyone seems to know about what is an "a- level". I'm from the U.S. and i wish to study abroad:smile::s-smilie::confused:

It's the highest level of qualification that you can get from secondary schools in the UK - similar to AP classes in the US.
(In the UK except Scotland) t's a qualification in a specific subject typically taken by school students aged 16–18, calling it 'a-level' which is above GCSE. But the equivalent in Scotland is higher.
Original post by Lexy25

Hi Alevels are what we study here just before going on to university.
They're qualifications for 16-18 year olds comprised of 2 years. The 1st year is called Advanced subsidary (AS) and second year is A2 which is a continuation of the 1st year. Students generally do 3 or 4 A level subjects and u get to pick your choice/combination most suitable for the course u wanna study at university.

I think A levels are the same level of difficulty as most AP courses in the states. :smile:
Reply 4
Thankx so much for the replies but do you know if being from the U.S. if I still have to take the A-levels in order to go to uni??
Original post by Lexy25
Thankx so much for the replies but do you know if being from the U.S. if I still have to take the A-levels in order to go to uni??

for the UK?

nah. your SATs or whatever you do will do just fine.

Uni pages, and UCAS's page have all the info you'll need on what qualifications they accept.
Reply 6
thankx :smile:
Original post by Lexy25
thankx :smile:

Depends though. Most good unis here ask for a set of AP scores, with usually a combination of 5s and 4s. The SATs might not be enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thankx, I want to take at about 4-5 AP exams by my senior year to try to make it. Haha it has been a dream of mine to study in the UK for about forever! I really want to make it that would be pretty cool. So, fingers crossed :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest