The Student Room Group

Nottingham v. Manchester?

Hi, I'm having a rough time deciding whether I should choose to firm Nottingham or Manchester to study psychology. I'm attached to both universities but obviously I must choose one to attend. The fact that I can't seem to find any negatives within them makes it even more difficult to come to a conclusion, so sifting through the positives is the most plausible way of deciding on a firm. I hope that I am posting in the correct forum, but I would like to hear the opinions of those who are attending and those who have already graduated for psychology. What factors makes one better than the other? Maybe it would be easier to receive advice if I gave some of the positives I took notice of?

Nottingham:

More "prestigious" than Manchester. Ranked higher on League Tables.

Higher chances of employment within six months of graduation

Self-catered accommodations seem nice especially Broadgate Park. Already interested in a few clubs and societies

Nottingham seems to be the popular choice in comparison with Manchester on TSR

Manchester:

Prefer to live in a larger city environment

Offers more forensic psychology modules in comparison with Nottingham [Year two: Forensic psychology programme, Year three: Forensic psychology] Manchester's psychology course seems more diverse in modules

Been told that it is easier to establish a large social circle. Popular choice among international students like myself

Cheaper in regards to university costs. Received a bursary

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bloodoranges
Hi, I'm having a rough time deciding whether I should choose to firm Nottingham or Manchester to study psychology. I'm attached to both universities but obviously I must choose one to attend. The fact that I can't seem to find any negatives within them makes it even more difficult to come to a conclusion, so sifting through the positives is the most plausible way of deciding on a firm. I hope that I am posting in the correct forum, but I would like to hear the opinions of those who are attending and those who have already graduated for psychology. What factors makes one better than the other? Maybe it would be easier to receive advice if I gave some of the positives I took notice of?

Nottingham:

Self-catered accommodations seem nice especially Broadgate Park. Already interested in a few clubs and societies

Manchester:

Offers more forensic psychology modules in comparison with Nottingham [Year two: Forensic psychology programme, Year three: Forensic psychology] Manchester's psychology course seems more diverse in modules

Been told that it is easier to establish a large social circle. Popular choice among international students like myself

I wouldn't take league tables, or the opinion of TSR (or people who haven't gone to those unis), to heart too much. There isn't really too much difference between unis that employers will either know or care about, I think Nottingham and Manchester are fairly similar in reputation.

I mean a difference of 5-10 places on the league tables won't really matter for most employers, and especially if you want to do forensic psychology i think if you do those modules at manchester that will prepare you better for that career. You don't need to do forensic psychology modules to get into forensic psychology, but (a) gives you a chance to make contacts with your lecturers in that topic who you can use as references, (b) maybe you could do a dissertation in that topic, which would be great (c) obviously you get to study something you enjoy.
Original post by iammichealjackson
I wouldn't take league tables, or the opinion of TSR (or people who haven't gone to those unis), to heart too much. There isn't really too much difference between unis that employers will either know or care about, I think Nottingham and Manchester are fairly similar in reputation.

I mean a difference of 5-10 places on the league tables won't really matter for most employers, and especially if you want to do forensic psychology i think if you do those modules at manchester that will prepare you better for that career. You don't need to do forensic psychology modules to get into forensic psychology, but (a) gives you a chance to make contacts with your lecturers in that topic who you can use as references, (b) maybe you could do a dissertation in that topic, which would be great (c) obviously you get to study something you enjoy.

Thanks!

One more question. Do you personally think that an introvert like myself will have a tough time thriving in an environment like Manchester?
Thanks!

One more question. Do you personally think that an introvert like myself will have a tough time thriving in an environment like Manchester?

Yes. You will have a tough time thriving with anything in life, to put it bluntly.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Yes. You will have a tough time thriving with anything in life, to put it bluntly.

Of course, but introvert probably wasn't the correct word to use. It just takes me a bit to open up before diving into all the fun.

Nottingham:

Manchester:

Manchester is more known, it is ranked as the 30 best universities of the world and one of the best in the world for employment. Don't let the domestic league tables mislead you, manchester and kcl are both ranked 28 in the country, bristol is ranked 18 and Edinburgh is 21. The domestic league tends to put some much emphasis on student satisfaction which is why uni's like Lancaster Lancaster, Kent Leicester are rankeetc 11,12 etc not saying they are bad unis but they are not better then those mentioned. It depends on your choice though and what you want
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you personally think that an introvert like myself will have a tough time thriving in an environment like Manchester?

That depends on so many things. As an introvert who went to Manchester, I found that being in such an environment helped me overcome social anxiety et al.
I'm pretty sure that Manchester is more prestigious than Nottingham...
Reply 8
Original post by golden tribe
Manchester is more known, it is ranked as the 30 best universities of the world and one of the best in the world for employment. Don't let the domestic league tables mislead you, manchester and kcl are both ranked 28 in the country, bristol is ranked 18 and Edinburgh is 21. The domestic league tends to put some much emphasis on student satisfaction which is why uni's like Lancaster Lancaster, Kent Leicester are rankeetc 11,12 etc not saying they are bad unis but they are not better then those mentioned. It depends on your choice though and what you want

I couldn't agree more

Quick Reply

Latest