The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Manspreading!?!

This is about a month or so old now, but I recently came across it, and I've seen it emerging in the local news: "Manspreading"

[video="youtube;oo6D4MXrJ5c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo6D4MXrJ5c[/video]

Is it just me, or is this the dumbest public campaign yet? Apparently men are sitting with our legs apart on public transit to 'dominate' the environment and to make ourselves feel more confident. It's all part of our way of feeling entitled and oppressing women, you see. It's not because of, I don't know, testicles. Ya'know, those things hanging between our legs that itch and chafe like hell if they're squashed together. Has it not crossed these morons' minds that we sit this way because it happens to be comfortable?

I also find it remarkable that their footage was supposed to show how men get away with 'manspreading' whereas a woman wouldn't, but the exact freakin' opposite happens. Did they even watch this footage before making their asinine film? And did you see the ridiculously exaggerated way they had them sitting? Is this piece of garbage serious? It made it onto national news and The Daily Show, for Christ's sake.

Okay, okay, maybe I'm overreacting. Look, ladies, if my legs are in the way, I'll move them. That's what I usually do out of common courtesy. However, before I happily oblige, how about you move your bulky purses and bags onto your laps where they belong, Eh? Where are the awareness campaigns about that, huh?

EDIT: Although the point about 'sexual domination' is not mentioned specifically in this video, it is a running theme in the campaign and among its supporters.

1:35 - 1:56 (the bit about the feeling of 'empowerment' and 'entitlement' and how this is some sort of 'deeper problem') is the part I find most ridiculous.

OP reworded to avoid confusion.

EDIT 2: I am not trying to defend the act of taking up unnecessary space. I specifically stated this it is common courtesy to move one's legs. What I am critiquing is the video's bizarre claims (and those of the campaign in general).
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I should try it.
Men often don't move their legs to let someone else sit comfortably though - that's the point. It is more comfortable for everyone to sit with their legs at least slightly open rather than forced together, not just men. It is very common, though, to see a woman sat with her legs together hardly taking up any room, whilst a man has his legs splayed out. On a usual train or subway car, for example, you would be far more likely to see men with their legs spread than women, this woman only did it for the video, but the man clearly said that he was 'rude' on the subway in general.

It's supposed to reflect the fact that men are usually far more comfortable than women are, for various reasons, with taking up space in general. We teach women to shrink themselves, they should sit with their legs together, cover up, be quiet, follow others, be deferential, nurturing, never show anger etc. whereas we encourage or accept the opposite traits in men. Plus, there's the fact of sexual violence, cat calling and so on that make it even less comfortable for women being in public space, because for many, these are daily occurrences to different levels of severity.

So the campaign is designed to get you to think about these sorts of things - the different ways that men and women experience public space, and how this can literally reflect in the different ways we therefore tend to take up space, or move around it.
(edited 9 years ago)
You just came across this now? In any case, don't fret over this. Not worth it.
Reply 4
Original post by Antifazian
Men often don't move their legs to let someone else sit comfortably though - that's the point. It is more comfortable for everyone to sit with their legs at least slightly open rather than forced together, not just men. It is very common, though, to see a woman sat with her legs together hardly taking up any room, whilst a man has his legs splayed out. On a usual train or subway car, for example, you would be far more likely to see men with their legs spread than women, this woman only did it for the video, but the man clearly said that he was 'rude' on the subway in general.

It's supposed to reflect the fact that men are usually far more comfortable than women are, for various reasons, with taking up space in general. We teach women to shrink themselves, they should sit with their legs together, cover up, be quiet, follow others, be deferential, nurturing, never show anger etc. whereas we encourage or accept the opposite traits in men. Plus, there's the fact of sexual violence, cat calling and so on that make it even less comfortable for women being in public space, because for many, these are daily occurrences to different levels of severity.

So the campaign is designed to get you to think about these sorts of things - the different ways that men and women experience public space, and how this can literally reflect in the different ways we therefore tend to take up space, or move around it.

You're just 'fighting' sexism with more sexism. Can't see that being too effective.
Original post by Dandaman1
This is about a month or so old now, but I recently came across it, and I've seen it emerging in the local news: "Manspreading"

[video="youtube;oo6D4MXrJ5c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo6D4MXrJ5c[/video]

Is it just me, or is this the dumbest public campaign yet? Apparently men are sitting with our legs apart on public transit to 'sexually dominate' the female passengers and to make ourselves feel more confident. It's all part of our way of opressing women, you see. It's not because of, I don't know, testicles. Ya'know, those things hanging between our legs that itch and chafe like hell if they're squashed together. Has it not crossed these morons' minds that we sit this way because it happens to be comfortable?

At what point did the video say either of those things?
Original post by ilem
You're just 'fighting' sexism with more sexism. Can't see that being too effective.

How on earth can 'sexism' against men exist in a patriarchy, get real. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
How on earth can 'sexism' against men exist in a patriarchy, get real. :rolleyes:

Is this a serious post?
As radical feminism begins to use as many non-issues as possible to portray all women as victims of the invisible but omnipotent patriarchy in a public setting so as to silence the 'mansplainers' from real societal issues, the reality of most women's often lofty traditional expectations in men in their private and professional lives will continue unquestioned. See my most recent threads OP. Eventually society will, in attempting to destroy misogyny, become misandrist and have allowance only for female flexibility in character while men have maintenance of bread-winner protector-provider role enforced upon them by a boycotting of men who break out of this gender role. The fourth wave of feminism should the movement survive up to that point change the approach from pseudo-egalitarianism as present to #YesAllMen, I would estimate it will begin in around 2025-2030.

Feminism will fail to liberate men from such a role because it is against women's biological imperative to seek nay respect men of a different mould, and even the women I have surveyed do not fully understand why they have this sub-conscious attraction.
Reply 9
It's long been associated with dominant body language. Men who are confident oftentimes unconsciously take up more space in their environment. So yes, I suppose you could say it's a display of dominance, and women may well feel intimidated by it.

As always, all commuters should be considerate of others, and all commuters should endeavour not to make mountains out of molehills.
Original post by Dandaman1

Is it just me, or is this the dumbest public campaign yet? Apparently men are sitting with our legs apart on public transit to 'sexually dominate' the female passengers and to make ourselves feel more confident. It's all part of our way of opressing women, you see. It's not because of, I don't know, testicles. Ya'know, those things hanging between our legs that itch and chafe like hell if they're squashed together. Has it not crossed these morons' minds that we sit this way because it happens to be comfortable?

I also find it remarkable that their footage was supposed to show how men get away with 'manspreading' whereas a woman wouldn't, but the exact freakin' opposite happens. Did they even watch this footage before making their asinine film? And did you see the ridiculously exaggerated way they had them sitting? Is this peace of garbage serious? It made it onto national news and The Daily Show, for Christ's sake.

Okay, okay, maybe I'm overreacting. Look, ladies, if my legs are in the way, I'll move them. That's what I usually do out of common courtesy. However, before I happily oblige, how about you move your bulky purses and bags onto your laps where they belong, Eh? Where are the awareness campaigns about that, huh?

I don't think the video is implying that it's sexual domination. It's implying that it's not a good use of crowded cramped spaces.

Yes it's selfish, But we don't need the state to get involved in all these issues, people need to be able to work things out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's an excellent point, and I completely agree. Sexism against men demonstrably does exist, and so it does prove what I've always suspected: That patriarchy doesn't exist.
I like how she sat with a completely different posture to the guy opposite her. Obviously she's going to get looks, men don't sit like that. She sat all exaggerated.

I don't like it when people without testicles lecture people with testicles how to sit. Also I've never seen anyone take up multiple seats.

I honestly can't wait for someone to accost me in public for sitting so I can ask her if she wants a punch in the ****ing face.
Original post by limetang
That's an excellent point, and I completely agree. Sexism against men demonstrably does exist, and so it does prove what I've always suspected: That patriarchy doesn't exist.

Haha, ok. What's your basis for saying it doesn't exist?

Because I could real off endless stats about sexual violence, rape, abuse against women, the glass ceiling, pay gaps, street harassment, the division of household labour and childcare, female genital mutilation, sex trafficking, abortion laws, slut shaming, sexual objectification and over-sexualisation of particularly young girls, and so on - all of these things overwhelmingly disadvantage women. Those are facts. Even where they negatively impact men, as some of these issues do, the figures are tiny when compared to those for women.

So tell me again how there is no patriarchy..?
(edited 9 years ago)

Just grow up, please. This isn't Saudi Arabia, you're not going to be subject to "sexual violence" on the Circle Line on the morning commute.

For one thing, women do not spread their legs because it's a sexual signal. Similarly, if we get a hard-on on the train into work, we'll do our best to hide it.

But even with that out of the way, when it comes to taking up little space, shrinking away and being deferential, well I am naturally like that too, and was brought up to be that way. Guess what, I fought to overcome it as best I could, and didn't blame the extroverted for it. There are extroverted and introverted men and women, so stop with your lazy generalisations.
Original post by scrotgrot
Just grow up, please. This isn't Saudi Arabia, you're not going to be subject to "sexual violence" on the Circle Line on the morning commute.

For one thing, women do not spread their legs because it's a sexual signal. Similarly, if we get a hard-on on the train into work, we'll do our best to hide it.

But even with that out of the way, when it comes to taking up little space, shrinking away and being deferential, well I am naturally like that too, and was brought up to be that way. Guess what, I fought to overcome it as best I could, and didn't blame the extroverted for it. There are extroverted and introverted men and women, so stop with your lazy generalisations.

You're totally wrong, look through here and there are loads of stories about women being sexually assaulted on trains/metros/the underground, as well as on the street in broad daylight - http://everydaysexism.com/

Most of these submissions are from women in Europe or America.

Men wanking on them, feeling them up etc. You have absolutely no idea what women go through on a daily basis, these are not unusual occurrences. The women are there telling you exactly what they have experienced, and you just go 'grow up, that doesn't happen'. Only an idiot ignores the evidence just because it contradicts their narrow view of the world. You are male, you have no idea what happens to women so stop acting as if you have a clue. If you think all these problems only exist in Saudi Arabia you need to pull your head out of the sand and start listening to the people who actually experience it.

You have pulled the link to extroversion out of nowhere, there is nothing to say that extroversion/introversion is a factor. We are talking about gender, so stay on topic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ilem
Is this a serious post?

It's not an uncommon view, I'm afraid.
Original post by Ade9000
It's not an uncommon view, I'm afraid.

It's rare for a woman under the age of 21 to think otherwise, more accurately.
You're totally wrong, look through here and there are loads of stories about women being sexually assaulted on trains/metros/the underground, as well as on the street in broad daylight - http://everydaysexism.com/

Most of these submissions are from women in Europe or America.

Men wanking on them, feeling them up etc. You have absolutely no idea what women go through on a daily basis, these are not unusual occurrences. The women are there telling you exactly what they have experienced, and you just go 'grow up, that doesn't happen'. Only an idiot ignores the evidence just because it contradicts their narrow view of the world. You are male, you have no idea what happens to women so stop acting as if you have a clue. If you think all these problems only exist in Saudi Arabia you need to pull your head out of the sand and start listening to the people who actually experience it.

You have pulled the link to extroversion out of nowhere, there is nothing to say that extroversion/introversion is a factor. We are talking about gender, so stay on topic.

I don't think scrotgrot even denied that sexism against women happens, he's just gone on the defensive because you said the incredibly sexist 'sexism against men just does not happen'. You can't choose to break out of an oppressive gender role without social repercussions (this is the aim of feminism to change no?) Well nor can we. He is quite well read and well experienced, I think he is aware of when gross injustices occur.
[video="youtube;jpOHGHQxnFw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpOHGHQxnFw[/video]

Latest

Trending

Trending