The Student Room Group

US universities admission HELP!!!

Hi guys!

I'm new to TSR and don't know whether anybody can help me with the US stuff, but I'll give it a go
I'm currently studying my A-levels subjects and I intend to apply to the US, however I don't quite get there admission process. I know that I must submit midyear reports, predicted grades, etc, but along with SAT scores. So, my question is whether I will receive a conditional offer from universities depending on my A-level exam results, or will I be accepted straightaway on the basis of my SAT scores?

Thanks for your help!<3
Reply 1
I don't know what year you're in now - but if you're in year 13, it may be best to take a gap year. Many colleges have closed admissions by now, and you'll have to book SATs etc (unless you already have them) which are next in March (I think?). As for how they will except you - most will be unconditionals, but some may have some requirements, etc.
It would be helpful to know where you are in school, then I can give you some more specific advice!!
Reply 2
Original post by elaras
I don't know what year you're in now - but if you're in year 13, it may be best to take a gap year. Many colleges have closed admissions by now, and you'll have to book SATs etc (unless you already have them) which are next in March (I think?). As for how they will except you - most will be unconditionals, but some may have some requirements, etc.
It would be helpful to know where you are in school, then I can give you some more specific advice!!

Hi!

I'm currently in Year 12, and I also plan to take SAT in May or June (not sure yet). I also don't understand how it works with SAT results. Should I send them directly to the universities as soon as they are available? I mean, if I didn't start my application yet, will they somehow safe my SAT results and review them later with fully completed application?

You are really helping me with this! Thank youu:h:
Reply 3
Original post by karishanq
Hi!

I'm currently in Year 12, and I also plan to take SAT in May or June (not sure yet). I also don't understand how it works with SAT results. Should I send them directly to the universities as soon as they are available? I mean, if I didn't start my application yet, will they somehow safe my SAT results and review them later with fully completed application?

You are really helping me with this! Thank youu:h:

Basically, you can either send four results for free - but have to choose them on collegeboard before you even see your results. Or you can just send them whenever for about $11 each I think (they are saved for at least a few years idk exactly but will b 100% fine for you). I sent half of mine automatically (for free) and waited to see the others - both worked totally fine.
Are you applying to anywhere that requires SAT II subject tests?
Reply 4
Original post by elaras
Basically, you can either send four results for free - but have to choose them on collegeboard before you even see your results. Or you can just send them whenever for about $11 each I think (they are saved for at least a few years idk exactly but will b 100% fine for you). I sent half of mine automatically (for free) and waited to see the others - both worked totally fine.
Are you applying to anywhere that requires SAT II subject tests?

Yeah, I need to take 2 subject test as well, so the procedure is the same with these results? Urgh, I'm so afraid of that SAT and all this application stuff :frown:( but you are really helping me :smile: Are you at the university now?
Reply 5
Yeah, I need to take 2 subject test as well, so the procedure is the same with these results? Urgh, I'm so afraid of that SAT and all this application stuff :frown:( but you are really helping me :smile: Are you at the university now?

Subject SAT is the same procedure :smile: Just do some good prep and I'm sure you'll be fine tbh.
Nope - Upper Sixth. I applied this year to Harvard, Yale, UChicago, Brown, and Cornell, so I find out for all of those in late March I think. Not sure if I'd go even if I got into one of them though, as I got into Cambridge here so??? We'll see.
Where are you looking at?
Reply 6
Original post by elaras
Subject SAT is the same procedure :smile: Just do some good prep and I'm sure you'll be fine tbh.
Nope - Upper Sixth. I applied this year to Harvard, Yale, UChicago, Brown, and Cornell, so I find out for all of those in late March I think. Not sure if I'd go even if I got into one of them though, as I got into Cambridge here so??? We'll see.
Where are you looking at?

WOW!:eek: You must have been working really hard as got into Cambridge! My congratulations! And I'm pretty sure you'll be accepted to Harvard. Well, I've not decided yet, but I want to go to Harvard, UPennsylvania or Cornell for sure. So we have something in common :smile: What do you want to study at uni?
Reply 7
WOW!:eek: You must have been working really hard as got into Cambridge! My congratulations! And I'm pretty sure you'll be accepted to Harvard. Well, I've not decided yet, but I want to go to Harvard, UPennsylvania or Cornell for sure. So we have something in common :smile: What do you want to study at uni?

Thanks!!! Languages/Literature/Linguistics - I applied to Spanish and ab initio Russian in the UK :smile: What sort of ecs do you have?
Reply 8
Original post by elaras
Thanks!!! Languages/Literature/Linguistics - I applied to Spanish and ab initio Russian in the UK :smile: What sort of ecs do you have?

Russian? You know I'm actually from Kazakhstan, so I'm a native Russian speaker - if you need something I'll be more than happy to help you :wink: Hmm, eca's... I used to do lot's of things back at secondary school, but now my focus is on academics only :frown: I really need to have some sort of work during the summer to strengthen my application into US uni's :tongue: If not a secret, what sort of things did you do? eg voluntary/part-time work, sports or arts?
Reply 9
Russian? You know I'm actually from Kazakhstan, so I'm a native Russian speaker - if you need something I'll be more than happy to help you :wink: Hmm, eca's... I used to do lot's of things back at secondary school, but now my focus is on academics only :frown: I really need to have some sort of work during the summer to strengthen my application into US uni's :tongue: If not a secret, what sort of things did you do? eg voluntary/part-time work, sports or arts?

Aha they'll love you can speak another language!
American unis are (generally) pretty big on ecs. On my app I listed:
- co founded a short film company
- am a member of the national youth theatre
- had a month long internship in a spanish museum last summer
- had some work experience at a museum in england
- co founded the school's literary journal
- was in school's debate team
- studied classical greek in my free time, went to a summer school for this, and completed gcse
- volunteered as a tutor at a local deaf charity, and an after school club for autistic children
- have a paid job as a tutor at kumon
- bronze and gold dofe
Reply 10
Mine are fairly average for a lost of US apps, and as you can see - no sport!!!
Reply 11
Original post by elaras
Mine are fairly average for a lost of US apps, and as you can see - no sport!!!

That's impressive for me :biggrin: You're really becoming my inspiration:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest