The Student Room Group

C4 vectors question

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by creativebuzz
But how do you find the vectors BA and BC if you don't know what a and b are so you can't do e.g. BA = a - b etc..

If you're given the position vectors of 2 points X and Y then you can immediately write down the vector XY immediately by subtracting the position vector of X from that of Y.

There's no need to worry about drawing anything unless you find that sort of thing helpful - and in this case you seem to be more confused about the drawing process than actually following a method!

Simply work out BA and BC from the vectors given and then calculate the dot product :smile:
Reply 21
Hi, i haven't done vectors yet so this is not how you're suppose to do it but i found it easy to draw the points as a two dimensional triangle ABC and drawing the points in the i and j directions just ploting them on a regular graph. Then i worked out the three lengths using pythagorus and put them on the graph. Then i drew a seperate triangle for AB and BC putting on it the side on id just worked out (the opposite) and the k conponent (adjacent), e.g -3k for B and worked out the hypotenuse for each.

I got: AB = √(33) and BC = √(173)

Then for part B i found AC which was √(74) then drew another triangle showing the distances AB BC and AC and using the Cosine rule (with three sides to fing the unknown angle, <ABC)i got 24.9* as the angle

Think its right but please point out if i have made a mistake/ got it wrong!
Original post by TenOfThem
But you do know they are given in the question

BA = BO + OA

or, as you have written it

BA = OA - OB

You said that you had done part (a) so surely you already know how to find the vectors AB and BC

Ah yes, I've got the answer now thank you! Sorry about being a pain, but I managed to get it in the end thanks to you!:smile:
Ah yes, I've got the answer now thank you! Sorry about being a pain, but I managed to get it in the end thanks to you!:smile:

Ok :smile:
Original post by davros
If you're given the position vectors of 2 points X and Y then you can immediately write down the vector XY immediately by subtracting the position vector of X from that of Y.

There's no need to worry about drawing anything unless you find that sort of thing helpful - and in this case you seem to be more confused about the drawing process than actually following a method!

Simply work out BA and BC from the vectors given and then calculate the dot product :smile:

Oh okay, thank you!!

Do you mind telling me where I went wrong in this question?

Reply 25
Oh okay, thank you!!

Do you mind telling me where I went wrong in this question?

I haven't checked your working (and it hurts my eyes to read sideways!) but have you used all the information given? There is a third equation that s and t must satisfy if the lines are to intersect - does this hold?

How do you know that you "went wrong" - do you have the answer for this question?
Original post by davros
I haven't checked your working (and it hurts my eyes to read sideways!) but have you used all the information given? There is a third equation that s and t must satisfy if the lines are to intersect - does this hold?

How do you know that you "went wrong" - do you have the answer for this question?

Yeah I understand that z must be equal in order for them to intersect and I know that I must have gone wrong somewhere because the answer says that they do intersect and the answer for s is different to mine..
Reply 27
Yeah I understand that z must be equal in order for them to intersect and I know that I must have gone wrong somewhere because the answer says that they do intersect and the answer for s is different to mine..

I think you might have just misread your own handwriting or confused an '=' with a '-'!

When you get to 20 - 2s = s -1 you should then get 21 = 3s or s = 7 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest