The Student Room Group

How much do you normally eat a day?

several of my friends are going on 1000 calories a day diets,surely it can't be healthy? i thought 2000cals a day is what you should roughly be eating.

i think i usually eat about 3000 a day but i do exercise quite a lot, but anyway i was wondering if people's metabolism really vary that much that some people can survive on so much less, or some people on diets jsut staring themselves?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If your female then 2000 should be fine; males 2500

And me... drum role please... 7000ish :biggrin:
Reply 2
no man

40,000 is the minimum limit
Reply 3
ok fatty
Reply 4
ok
Reply 5
I used to eat quite a scrict diet of 1200 (the very minimum you should) but sice going to uni I have got soooo much more active. At first I tried to maintain my diet, and so stupidly skinny, and all my family got worried etc, then my bf came to stay and forced me to realised that I had to eat more to be healthy, so plyed me full of carbs :smile:, now I have no idea how many calories, but I will quite happily eat a 150g bar of galaxy as a mid morning snack :smile: (and not gain weight)
Reply 6
I'm not sad enough to calorie count.
Reply 7
It doesnt really matter how many calories you are eating, its what the actual food is. You could eat 1000 calories a day of Rocky bars which have something like 100 calories each. You would probably survive, if be a little peckish. However, if you ate 1000 calories worth of fruit and veg (just to be simple, obviously not a balanced diet yadda yadda) you would be far less hungry and much better nutritionally. The important thing is to eat healthily than to worry about the number of calories.
Reply 8
Cortez
I'm not sad enough to calorie count.

Either am I. :p:

I think it's pretty unhealthy and obssesive to be constantly watching your calories, it just leads to obsessive behaviour. I have no idea how much I consume on a daily basis but I'm within the healthy weight range so I can't be doing badly. :p:
Reply 9
Ditto above!
In terms of food not calories... I dont have breakfast (bad, I know) then in school ill have a chocolate bar, crisps, and a burger or something (nice and healthy) and for tea i normally have lasagne or something, and snack on cheese/grapes etc in the night.
I don't really count calories, but I have three big meals everyday and try to avoid snacking. Breakfast is normally Porridge or Cereal and a yoghurt, lunch a sandwich or beans on toast, and dinner is normally Pasta or meat, veg and tatties. Probably around 1500-1800 calories a day, but that's because I am trying to lose weight.
I don't know but yesterday I had a chinese, a subway and a chicken and vegetable pasty from the cornish pasty company. But no breakfast! :smile:
Reply 12
I eat too much a day. Cereal, eggs on toast, chocolate, cheese and ham sandwiches, chicken pie and yorkshire pudding dinners... :frown: I *need* to eat less, and eat healthily.
But the thing is, ASDA price chocolate, pies, ready meals, eggs and bread are just so cheap. I'm on a very tight budget, so if I was to buy healthy ingredients for a healthy meal, I would spend the same amount of cash as I do for the *whole* weeks shop. :frown:
Reply 13
I eat about 4,500-6,000 calories a day.... My biggest expense at uni isnt clubbing or alcohol... nooo its fooood.
Reply 14
life is wayyyyyy to short to be counting calories... if your not happy with your weight.. excercise and be active dont stop eating what you want to
Reply 15
...but I do so much exercise that after all of that im still hungry :frown:! I just cant afford to eat 12 Breasts of chicken a day for example haha
Reply 16
eat what you like!!! healthy food obviously but dont restrict it..
Reply 17
edu
...but I do so much exercise that after all of that im still hungry :frown:! I just cant afford to eat 12 Breasts of chicken a day for example haha

deeeeto :frown: :frown: :frown:
Rouge
How much do you normally eat a day?

As much as I can afford or take without anyone noticing.
Reply 19
not alot

Latest

Trending

Trending