The Student Room Group

study tips

hey peeps,
i'm a new law student and ... i'm having doubts of my study techniques.

is it normal to spend hours and hours ploughing through stacks and stacks of readings and cases?

my tutorial groups seem to have read ALL the cases listed in the reading list, PLUS all the readings from texts ... a feat i'm struggling to equal.

how do you guys do your
1. tutorials
2. essays
3. exams ???

many many thanks!
Tutorials: do the first question, monster it, sit quietly (lol jk: I normally do the text reading and the very most important cases, the rest I just read the headnote).

Essays: read, answer the damn thing.

Exams: I'm a bit different, I don't make exam notes or anything and go straight from books etc. Learning from heavy material doesn't work for all but I just sit going over and over it in my head until I can basically recite everyting we've learnt... works for me, not recommended.
Reply 2
Chickflick, I think it takes a while to get up to speed, especially if you've come straight from school.

Tutorials- I do the reading set and I don't really bother about the questions, doing the reading is the important bit for me since I'll need to know all the material not just the stuff for one or two questions (maybe that's wrong :confused: ). As for cases, I read the summery (if there is one) and then scan the judgment(s) for important pieces of info (you’ll normally find out what’s relevant from reading your textbook).

Essays- focus your research; reading irrelevant material is just wasting your time. Realise the value of planning. But most importantly of all answer the question!

Exams- most of the info for essays covers exams- minus the research part :p:

Hope this helps :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending