The Student Room Group

traveling to paris alone!!

so basically I originally booked a suprise trip to Paris in March for me and my boyfriend but he has changed his mind and left me :frown: and the tickets are non-refundable so I will be going alone.

I was wondering if anyone else is planning to go Paris around this time and is it safe for me to go alone?

my hotel is in Saint-denis and on google map its not that close to central Paris but I don't mind this but was wondering how easy would it be for me to get around Paris? is it just like london transport but obviously in different language?

What are the things I must do bearing in mind I am alone and any places I should avoid?

-how would I meet people in france? I am there for 3 nights and really do not want to spend it in the hotel room without talking to another human!!! I can't speak French but I do know the basic.

-can anyone recommend any good travel books for me...this is the first time i have been anywhere alone and Im really having doubts about it but at the same i really want to go and get out of my confident zone and do somthing alone.

thanks to anyone who can help me out...soo nervous about this trip

Scroll to see replies

Perfectly safe. I know tons of women who go travelling by themselves. I don't know Paris so can't help there. When it comes to meeting people you might encounter some problems. If I was in a similar situation I'd consider staying in a hostel. Great way to meet people and pretty cheap but you have a booked hotel room and you might want the luxury of a hotel room. Lonely planet are normally a good go to. You could also get an app called triposo.

Get a city map and walk. That's normally quite a good thing to do. You might want to plan your trip a little so you can see everything.
(edited 9 years ago)
have you seen the movie Taken by any chance?
Reply 3
Original post by merveille
so basically I originally booked a suprise trip to Paris in March for me and my boyfriend but he has changed his mind and left me :frown: and the tickets are non-refundable so I will be going alone.

I was wondering if anyone else is planning to go Paris around this time and is it safe for me to go alone?

my hotel is in Saint-denis and on google map its not that close to central Paris but I don't mind this but was wondering how easy would it be for me to get around Paris? is it just like london transport but obviously in different language?

What are the things I must do bearing in mind I am alone and any places I should avoid?

-how would I meet people in france? I am there for 3 nights and really do not want to spend it in the hotel room without talking to another human!!! I can't speak French but I do know the basic.

-can anyone recommend any good travel books for me...this is the first time i have been anywhere alone and Im really having doubts about it but at the same i really want to go and get out of my confident zone and do somthing alone.

I used to live in Paris - very safe, never came across any trouble myself. You realize you can always sell the other travel ticket to someone?
Reply 4
Original post by effofex
I used to live in Paris - very safe, never came across any trouble myself. You realize you can always sell the other travel ticket to someone?

oh really? when i booked the ticket it asked for the person traveling name. how would they be able to change the name on the ticket? this is a eruostar ticket
Reply 5
Original post by coolgeek45
have you seen the movie Taken by any chance?

yeah i have....why you ask?
Reply 6
Original post by Gott
If I may say so, what a Schweinhund?

sorry I have no clue what that is
Reply 7
Original post by Gott
Just an insult in German: 'pig-dog'. Do you wan't to tell us why he doesn't want to go?

was the insult aimed at me?
Reply 8
oh really? when i booked the ticket it asked for the person traveling name. how would they be able to change the name on the ticket? this is a eruostar ticket

I used to Eurostar many times and yes - it has your ticket on it. Just remembered. Silly that there isn't a way to exchange it, but then understandable since you are travelling from somewhere outside the Schengen Area to somewhere within.
Reply 9
Original post by Gott
Of course not, I don't just give out random abuse :smile:. It just sounded a bit bad for him to have 'changed his mid', do you know why he did?

ohh sorry i got a little confused lol

well the reasons to why he changed his mind was that he feels like I need to "find myself" and he doesn't want to be with me while im in the process of "self-searching".

Lame excuse to me but hey I cant force him into a relationship and to go on a surpised all paid for trip to Paris.

suppose I can "find myself" in Paris :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by effofex
I used to Eurostar many times and yes - it has your ticket on it. Just remembered. Silly that there isn't a way to exchange it, but then understandable since you are travelling from somewhere outside the Schengen Area to somewhere within.

yeah wish there was a way. But ill still go and enjoy myself :smile:
Reply 11

Saint-denis? Tbh you didn't choose the safest place... :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by Josb
Saint-denis? Tbh you didn't choose the safest place... :s-smilie:

yeah didnt realise that when I booked but ill definitely will be looking for a different hotel in a safer area
yeah wish there was a way. But ill still go and enjoy myself :smile:

Good stuff mate. Nothing wrong with going on holiday on your own - I went to Mallorca, Cyprus and Thailand all by myself last year and it was great fun - you can do everything at your own pace when you're not there with someone else.
Reply 14
Original post by Gott
Oh well now that's clear, unless he was being jocular and hiding the real reason, I think he's a complete arse tbh

he is a complete massive arse. I gave alot of myself in this relationship for him to give me some slame excuse. buy hey nothing i can do but just enjoy my time in Paris and maybe ill even find myself a Paris guy :P the possibilities are endless

I live in Paris and it's perfectly safe to be alone in! I'll see if I'm around what dates are you here for? You'll get by fine with basic french and I say that as somebody who originally spoke beginnerish french and got around fine for 5 months here.
I wouldn't have recommended Saint-Denis personally, as there's plenty of safe and cheap hotels in central Paris. The metro/RER (the RER is like the overground line in London, it basically extends the metro to serve outlying areas beyond central Paris) is the cheapest and simplest way to get around, the buses are good and you can use metro tickets on them but it can be complicated if you don't feel confident.

You can buy a 'carnet de billet' of 10 metro tickets and all the ticket machines have the option to change the language to English. It's all very straight forward once you get there but can be overwhelming if you use it during rush hour.
There's different types of trains used on the metro, some have automatic doors and others have doors where you physically have to flick the handle upwards. Also some trains are driverless and you can actually stand at the front of the carriage and look into the tunnel (it's like a Disney ride!). I can definitely advise you more but I am really tired now so I can do it tomorrow and tell you some good places off the beaten track. I really hope you do go on this trip because Paris is utterly incredible!! I wake up everyday and feel incredibly lucky to be living here!
Reply 16
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
I live in Paris and it's perfectly safe to be alone in! I'll see if I'm around what dates are you here for? You'll get by fine with basic french and I say that as somebody who originally spoke beginnerish french and got around fine for 5 months here.
I wouldn't have recommended Saint-Denis personally, as there's plenty of safe and cheap hotels in central Paris. The metro/RER (the RER is like the overground line in London, it basically extends the metro to serve outlying areas beyond central Paris) is the cheapest and simplest way to get around, the buses are good and you can use metro tickets on them but it can be complicated if you don't feel confident.

You can buy a 'carnet de billet' of 10 metro tickets and all the ticket machines have the option to change the language to English. It's all very straight forward once you get there but can be overwhelming if you use it during rush hour.
There's different types of trains used on the metro, some have automatic doors and others have doors where you physically have to flick the handle upwards. Also some trains are driverless and you can actually stand at the front of the carriage and look into the tunnel (it's like a Disney ride!). I can definitely advise you more but I am really tired now so I can do it tomorrow and tell you some good places off the beaten track. I really hope you do go on this trip because Paris is utterly incredible!! I wake up everyday and feel incredibly lucky to be living here!

I will be going March 19-22 :smile:

Thank you for the information about the metro as that's one thing making me think twice about going.
yeah didnt realise that when I booked but ill definitely will be looking for a different hotel in a safer area

I have a personal recommendation of the Hotel de l'Exposition on the Boulevard de Magenta. I stayed with a friend in August before I moved here permanently and it is just off the Place de la Republique (where all the demonstrations were last month) and the metro station. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Seine/Notre Dame and about a 5-10 minute metro ride to Chatelet Les Halles metro station where you can get metro trains to all points in Paris/Eiffel Tower etc . It's safe, cheap and accessible but the walls were really thin and the lift barely fits one person in it but we weren't in it a lot, literally just to sleep for a few hours.
(edited 9 years ago)
never been to paris but from what ive heard its pretty safe. im sure youll have a great time, very jealous I would love to go :tongue: and from the sounds of it youll have a better time without him
Reply 19
Original post by Gott
I hope you have a nice time, the last time I stayed in Paris I was too young to remember much but I went from the Gar d'something to the Gar d'nord going to Germany by train. If I were you I'd save yourself for a German guy though hehe :wink:

Oh niice.
Wel I never been out with a German guy but hey there's a first time for everything 😝👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest