The Student Room Group

Help! Might have no one to live with next year

The situation is as follows:

I've agreed with 6 other people to live with them next year. Recently it has been discovered that there are no houses left with 7 rooms in the area. Sure, some may eventually come up, but they could also not.

I'm afraid they'll probably ask me to leave since I'm the most of an outsider there, so does anyone know how I can find a place to live in my 2nd year? Will people advertise spare rooms in their house? If so, where will they do it? This is really worrying me!

Thanks for any help

edit: Do any of you think more houses with 7 sufficient room will become available? (In your personal experience or just from guesswork)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I hope they wont ask you to leave, that would be horrible if they have agreed to live with you. I know a few people who could not get a house big enough for all of them so they decided to break up into 2 groups and get houses very close to each other. Also i have been noticing a lot of advertisements for spare rooms lately so you should be ok. Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Jonnyhere
I hope they wont ask you to leave, that would be horrible if they have agreed to live with you. I know a few people who could not get a house big enough for all of them so they decided to break up into 2 groups and get houses very close to each other. Also i have been noticing a lot of advertisements for spare rooms lately so you should be ok. Best of luck!

Where are these advertisements though? I'm not really sure where I'm meant to be looking :s-smilie:
Reply 3
The main places i see them are on facebook pages for Halls, Posters near the SU and other areas near places students tend to walk past (library etc). I wouldnt worry to much though near the end of third semester and through the summer people often tend to need an extra person to fill a space in their house due to people dropping out and things. Worse comes to worst could you not go back into halls?
The fairest thing to do would be to split into two groups but if they're not up for that then check the website spareroom or student spareroom.
Reply 5
Original post by MissDavies
The fairest thing to do would be to split into two groups but if they're not up for that then check the website spareroom or student spareroom.

Original post by Jonnyhere
The main places i see them are on facebook pages for Halls, Posters near the SU and other areas near places students tend to walk past (library etc). I wouldnt worry to much though near the end of third semester and through the summer people often tend to need an extra person to fill a space in their house due to people dropping out and things. Worse comes to worst could you not go back into halls?

As my new edit says, do you think houses with 7 will become available? Do more houses actually come up from here or are they all offered then taken before Feb?
Reply 6
Original post by HouseLoner?
As my new edit says, do you think houses with 7 will become available? Do more houses actually come up from here or are they all offered then taken before Feb?

They may become available soon, i would recommend contacting the people you are wanting to rent the house off (for me it was north west homes) and asking them to let you know if a 7 bedroom becomes available. Sometimes plans dont work out for other people so houses become available. For example the house i have put a deposit down for next year has 6 bedrooms and there are only 4 of us moving into it, they let us take this house because the people who were going to have it have backed out because it is to small for 6 people. I have been told though that houses do become available through the summer. Sorry i dont really know much more, hope things work out for you.
Reply 7
It would be unfair for them to ask you to leave. The most sensible and fairest option would be suggest you look for an 8 bedroom house instead (if you haven't already). In my city, there are so many 8 bedroom houses. They are a lot more common than seven bedroom houses. If you agree on an 8 bedroom house, then advertise that spare room. Someone will take it.

If they disagree and ask you to leave the group, then you have many options. You could live in uni halls. The general rule is that spaces are offered to first years as a priority, but they will always have a few spare rooms left, which they will then offer to any second or third years which have applied. In my first year of uni, I used to live with a second year in halls. You could try a private hall. It's usually first come first served, no priorities. They are quite expensive but I've found they are very modern, offer many benefits, and the management is always good. Like you suggested, you could take up a spare room in a house. I have done this in the past and it worked out great. I ended up making two great friends and amazing memories. You could try http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/ and see if there are any spare rooms going. If not, you could create your own account and post an ad yourself by stating you need a spare room. Many people will get in contact with you by seeing that.

No, I doubt any seven bedroom houses will be newly advertised. Student houses are usually all advertised in November/December. Once they have been taken, they're gone. It's rare that a newly advertised student house will pop up around this time. If you do agree on an 8 bedroom house it's not too late. I don't think I signed for my house until April last year. And it's a very nice house too.

Quick Reply

Latest