The Student Room Group

How to ACE University? First year tips

Please everyone share your study tips, ESPECIALLY FOR UNIVERSITY

WE have all done our first exams, so how did you revise?

This is the most appropriate category because I want responses from unviersity students especially not A levels becuase that is too easy.
I revised in a similar way to A Levels, and I've gotten firsts so far. If the way you revised worked before then don't attempt to change it.
Reply 2
Original post by EmmaZombie
I revised in a similar way to A Levels, and I've gotten firsts so far. If the way you revised worked before then don't attempt to change it.

Original post by R Dragon
Man, my #1 advice is to attend all lectures. My attendance was ~20% and I pretty much nearly screwed myself over the summative assessments over Dec

Yes But I would love if you share your revision methods.

For me the attendance isn't a big issue, it is only an issue if you cannot get the notes elsewhere.

Once you have the information what do you with it? Everyone study differently
please share
Mindmaps. They're what works for me. Attending lectures here doesn't help as all they do is read a powerpoint that is later shared online. I just read over it and make mindmaps, and use the powerpoints for assignments/essays.
Reply 4
Original post by EmmaZombie
Mindmaps. They're what works for me. Attending lectures here doesn't help as all they do is read a powerpoint that is later shared online. I just read over it and make mindmaps, and use the powerpoints for assignments/essays.

Original post by R Dragon
xx.

Thanks for sharing, especially with very drastic modules, it is so difficult having to use one technique and different methods definitely help.
(edited 9 years ago)
For coursework based modules, do work as it's set as it reduces stress around hand in times.

If you can stick to the 7 p's (Preparation and planning prevents piss poor performance) for managing your workload and deadlines then you won't have to worry as much. :smile:

Use the first year to try and nail academic writing - if you get less than an A (71%) then ask what went wrong. Get your Harvard referencing down and you'll find the later years awesome.

Don't take the first year too seriously though, as it doesn't count towards your final grade. If you're on a creative course then use it as time to experiment with stuff. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest