The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Cultural & Media Studies Presentation/Interview

Hi! I was invited to a presentation/interview day at the Leeds Uni on the 25th of March. I'm super excited because Leeds is far and away my first choice (although if I get an offer from Goldsmiths...:nooo:).

Anyway, I'm so nervous about the idea of going into this and being in a group, which is what will happen according to the school's admissions policy:

The candidates for BA Cultural and Media Studies... are then split into small groups where each applicant will be interviewed, in turn, on an individual basis.

Is there anyone who can give advice/insight into what it's like? People who are also going, your input is also very helpful; hopefully I'm not the only one absolutely ****ting it! :|
Reply 1
Hi there. I actually recently attended an interview for this very same course and got my offer a few days after. Mine was in January. Essentially, it started out as a group presentation in a rather small, intimate room. The presentation involved some of the topics that will be covered in the course, explaining how its been newly established in order to bridge the gap between a number of different subjects. They emphasised the fact that it was multi-disciplinary, and that it was a more philosophical degree than a practical one. They spoke about a number of authors, and how they had influenced culture. We were then taken on a short tour around the campus, after being given appointments for the interviews. They interviewed people 3 at a time, although one of the people who were scheduled to be in my group wasn't present.
The interview was a little weird actually. A polite Geordie man conducted the interview, but in a really indirect way. He explained that the interview was more just an opportunity for us to get answers to any questions we may have, and to expand upon the presentation at the beginning. he would make a few statements about modern culture and media, and then proceeded to ask us a question about what he just talked about. I briefly remember being asked if i thought that certain groups of people were under-represented in the modern media, and if i thought that the current system was designed to only give a voice to a select few. I basically said that i disagreed, and that thanks to modern platforms such as Youtube, Twitter, Facebook and blogging, pretty much everybody had a voice. The other person in the interview that was asked the same question didn't really give the answer he was expecting and blurted out a few buzzwords. Another question he asked was if i thought that certain forms of media sometimes had a hidden agenda. I pretty much agreed, but explained that you need to remain subjective and critical with everything you consume, in order to avoid manipulation. I mentioned how even media with a hidden agenda can still be appreciated, sighting Nazi propaganda films like the Triumph of the will as being extremely manipulative, but beautifully made.
I'm actually struggling to remember the other questions he asked (there were only 4 in fairness).
There pretty much isnt a wrong answer, just as long as you show interest and passion. Ask lots of questions about the course. Ask about the opportunities for personal development, career prospects and the industry connections that the University has.
All in all, i was a bit wary of the interview process. I felt like the interviewer himself was being a bit disingenuous in the way he approached each question, in order to assess our answers. Just go in with the expectation to be asked questions, listen closely to what he says, and try and formulate your answer while he is still talking. I kind of wish i was given the same heads up in total honesty,
I hope you do well in your interview, and i'd like to hear how it goes. I may possibly meet you in september if i decide to take the offer. Good luck
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by milagan
Hi there. I actually recently attended an interview for this very same course and got my offer a few days after. Mine was in January. Essentially, it started out as a group presentation in a rather small, intimate room. The presentation involved some of the topics that will be covered in the course, explaining how its been newly established in order to bridge the gap between a number of different subjects. They emphasised the fact that it was multi-disciplinary, and that it was a more philosophical degree than a practical one. They spoke about a number of authors, and how they had influenced culture. We were then taken on a short tour around the campus, after being given appointments for the interviews. They interviewed people 3 at a time, although one of the people who were scheduled to be in my group wasn't present.
The interview was a little weird actually. A polite Geordie man conducted the interview, but in a really indirect way. He explained that the interview was more just an opportunity for us to get answers to any questions we may have, and to expand upon the presentation at the beginning. he would make a few statements about modern culture and media, and then proceeded to ask us a question about what he just talked about. I briefly remember being asked if i thought that certain groups of people were under-represented in the modern media, and if i thought that the current system was designed to only give a voice to a select few. I basically said that i disagreed, and that thanks to modern platforms such as Youtube, Twitter, Facebook and blogging, pretty much everybody had a voice. The other person in the interview that was asked the same question didn't really give the answer he was expecting and blurted out a few buzzwords. Another question he asked was if i thought that certain forms of media sometimes had a hidden agenda. I pretty much agreed, but explained that you need to remain subjective and critical with everything you consume, in order to avoid manipulation. I mentioned how even media with a hidden agenda can still be appreciated, sighting Nazi propaganda films like the Triumph of the will as being extremely manipulative, but beautifully made.
I'm actually struggling to remember the other questions he asked (there were only 4 in fairness).
There pretty much isnt a wrong answer, just as long as you show interest and passion. Ask lots of questions about the course. Ask about the opportunities for personal development, career prospects and the industry connections that the University has.
All in all, i was a bit wary of the interview process. I felt like the interviewer himself was being a bit disingenuous in the way he approached each question, in order to assess our answers. Just go in with the expectation to be asked questions, listen closely to what he says, and try and formulate your answer while he is still talking. I kind of wish i was given the same heads up in total honesty,
I hope you do well in your interview, and i'd like to hear how it goes. I may possibly meet you in september if i decide to take the offer. Good luck

Hi, thanks for the amazing answer. It helped so much. In fact, I got an offer! One other question, I also have an offer for Goldsmiths? Of goldsmiths and Leeds, which would you make your firm choice? Goldsmiths looks great, but London is so expensive!
Reply 3
Funnily enough, i received an offer from Goldsmiths for Journalism, but decided to firm the Cultural and Media Studies course at Leeds. Studying in London is excellent in terms of arranging work placements and setting yourself up upon graduating. Attending interviews and meetings is so much more convenient if you are living there already, especially if you aim to work in the media.
The reason why i chose not to firm Goldsmiths was on the basis of how isolating studying in London actually is, how expensive it is, and the pace of life. Leeds pretty much provides me with the communal experience that i'm looking for (the layout of the campus and the union pretty much guarantees you opportunities to meet new people outside of your course) and the cost of living is ridiculously low.
I suppose it's all dependent on what you're looking for. I'm a Manchester native, so i'm fairly used to living within quite a large city, which is why Leeds appeals to me. Everything seemed really tightly knit and close together, without seeming dead.

Good luck with everything anyway. Have you had any other offers?

Quick Reply

Latest