The Student Room Group

Is being white a 'privilege'?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, your lecturer is right.

Original post by Xenorebrem
The fact that you just so happened to be born to parents with a lower melatonin concentration than mine somehow means that you are responsible for the "successes" of this country whilst I am responsible for the failures of mine, right?

In that case I am sincerely grateful for your hospitality and will do anything to repay my debt to you.

Slavery perhaps?

Oh wait....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by radicalboujie
I'm only an immigrant in this country because of British imperialism that fu*ked up my country, thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ran out of reps :bawling:
(edited 9 years ago)
it's definitely the least problematic colour to be in a western country.
No.
yes it is
A bit though speaking as a white person, sometimes I wish it wasn't.
Original post by cake_lover
I have a relative in Dubai who says white people are treated the best compared to other races. (Just saying what I've heard)

However if I went to Dubai the authorities would probably look at me like I'm trash (being of South Asian origin) unless they saw my British passport lol.

That's interesting. I thought Emiratis were higher up the social pecking order than expats in Dubai.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
I don't think being white is a privilege itself but it certainly gives you privileges in western countries. Not so much elsewhere.

huh? A lot of countries which have been imperialised by Europeans subconsciously think that light/white skin is better. In Asia/Africa/Caribbean/Lat America white people are often looked seen as prestige and are even treated better than the countries natives...which is a privilege
I'm only an immigrant in this country because of British imperialism that fu*ked up my country, thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people on TSR can't even talk to the opposite sex, never mind try and fxck up another country.

Blame the people who actually did it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TurboCretin
That's interesting. I thought Emiratis were higher up the social pecking order than expats in Dubai.

I think the native Emirati's are highest up the pecking order, then I think it's probably white people and then everyone else at the bottom. I'm not sure how they view other races in order.

Of course we are just generalising, I'm there are some nice and fair Emirati's too.
I suppose it is, although I think that it more of a privilege to be born to parents who are still together, to be part of a stable family, to have a access to good schools, to live in a part of the country with no racial tensions. That is my personal experience. I have been brought up to be completely non racist. I have friends from many different cultures and never see them as different. I sometimes feel sorry for my Pakistani and Chinese friend because all their parents seem to care about is their academic achievement and not about their wishes, but I understand that this is important in their culture. However I also have white friends with parents like this. I am a high achiever academically, but my parents have always encouraged me to do other things, sport, volunteering, getting a job and experiences in other countries, believing that education is more than just academic achievement. That is my privilege. People slag off Britain but I do believe that we are one of the most non racist countries in the world and one of the most non violent
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tarte Tatin
Most people on TSR can't even talk to the opposite sex, never mind try and fxck up another country.

Blame the people who actually did it.

Yes this country. Idk why ppl are tryna shift blame when there is a systematic insgitionalised racism and xenophobia in place to wads immigrants from colonised countries, you really think Britain "liberated us"?? Still in debt and still enslaved economically and systematically

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not a privilege to be treated with the level of basic decency that everyone should have anyway. If white people are at an advantage, it's not an unfair one.
Yes this country. Idk why ppl are tryna shift blame when there is a systematic insgitionalised racism and xenophobia in place to wads immigrants from colonised countries, you really think Britain "liberated us"?? Still in debt and still enslaved economically and systematically

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not blaming anything on anyone. You're the one playing the blame game.
I'd love to disagree with this statement since I don't agree that colour should determine worth or respect, but that's the way things have turned out.

Western Media has established itself around the globe. Translations of Hollywood films, even the idea of Nollywood or Bollywood root from Hollywood. Being 'white' is well received by many today, and though you may not see Brad Pitt or Liam Neeson on billboards or on advertisements in your home countries - many of these models and public faces are fairer in skin tone, which is a result of Western Media blanketing the world.

Of course, being in any country other than a Western country (especially Asia and Africa), white people get treated well, but end up getting ripped off big time. Seen it with my own eyes.
Reply 34
Original post by Rakas21

Race issues are not unique to the white world, the only difference is that we've had more immigration than most (frankly i don't think non-whites are as grateful as they should be for that).

The bold writing sums it up. Why do non whites specifically have to be 'grateful'? Because if you are born white you have a right to living in the better world and so do not have to be grateful?
Original post by Tarte Tatin
I'm not blaming anything on anyone. You're the one playing the blame game.

Lol this is the effects of white colonialism and imperialism, only some decades ago my grandparebts were in human zoos allover parts of Europe.
So yes I'm blaming this country and yes I'm blaming white colonialism and British imperialism for the mass migration of africans here and not some other BS
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
I'd hate to be anything else so I'm saying YES to the original question.

Original post by Rakas21
Race issues are not unique to the white world, the only difference is that we've had more immigration than most (frankly i don't think non-whites are as grateful as they should be for that).

Beautiful dose of the truth right there.
Speaking as a halfie
White 'priviledge' (and I do hate that word) is essentially being treated with the base respect that every human is entitled to 99% of the time, whereas that number tends to drop for people of different ethnicities. Of course, you could point to feelings of alienation/inadequacy/danger that come from being non-white (e.g. when eating at a fancy restaurant), but then you could do the same for white people/ffemales going into certain areas of a city, so you just end up with everyone moaning about how discriminated against they are.
At the end of the day, it's a remnant of the imperial mindset which is gradually fading away, and in britain it is much better than in places like japan or korea (where black people are literally seen as monkeys, indians/sri lankans as sub human, and even white people are looked down on - [hard to notice unless you're brought up in the culture and can recognise mannerisms, as a rude japanese staff member is still likely to appear more polite than thr average British]).
Based on what I remember from living in England, I'd say 'ssouthern' and 'cclass' priviledge are almost as big an issue, and northern working class people tend to be white so make of that what you will
Original post by EdCohen
Yes of course its a privilege. Just look at the number of white middle-class people there are in professions such as law, investment banking, journalism.

I don't see many white middle class lawyers in Delhi or Shanghai or Lagos. Only in white countries. White people have the majority of good jobs in the West because they make up the majority of the population.
Original post by nhtw
The bold writing sums it up. Why do non whites specifically have to be 'grateful'? Because if you are born white you have a right to living in the better world and so do not have to be grateful?

Do they have the right.. no. But by virtue of history, the vast majority of them do already. It's a fact of reality whether its right or wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending