The Student Room Group

St Hughs, Oxford - 2015 Entry

Hi everyone!

I've just accepted my offer to read Law at St Hughs College and wondered if there's any more Hughs out there!:biggrin:
Not a current Hughsie but a former one - congrats on accepting your offer! Any questions, just ask :smile:.
Reply 2
Thank you! What did you study? Also what is the accommodation like? I stayed in MTB but apparently no freshers get in there so don't really know what to expect of the other blocks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read English - graduated a couple of years ago.

The accommodation is of a pretty good standard - the best thing is that you can stay in college for all 3 years of your degree, so you don't have to worry about finding alternative accommodation unless you want to. MTB is populated mainly by third years, so it is unlikely you'll end up there to begin with - the rooms are lovely but very small, so not everyone opts to live there (I chose not to) so occasionally a couple of rooms come up for 2nd years or freshers. As a fresher, you'll probably end up in Main Building, Kenyon, or Wolfson. They all have their benefits and downsides - Main is a very sociable place to live and tends to be where most freshers are put to begin with. Rooms are pretty small and don't have sinks, but there are enormous kitchens and plenty of bath and shower facilities. When I was there, the first floor bathrooms had just been renovated so they were pretty nice, and I know they had plans to do the same to the floor above.

I lived in Kenyon in first year - it looks like a carpark but actually has great views of the grounds, sizeable rooms (all with sinks), and if you're lucky you'll even get a balcony. The bathrooms are tiny and not fantastic but you have fewer people sharing them, and the same with the kitchens, but it tends to be a bit quieter than some of the other buildings. The laundry room is also in the basement so you don't need to lug everything backwards and forwards across the gardens, so that's always a bonus. I actually chose to stay there for my second year as well, so it can't have been that bad!

Wolfson is arranged in staircases of eight (I think), so again can be quite a sociable place to live. You may end up here as a fresher but normally groups of 2nd years tend to opt for this one. The rooms are of varying sizes but all have sinks, and there's one kitchen and two bathrooms (pretty sure it's two) between the eight rooms. Again, the facilities are small but absolutely fine. I stayed in Wolfson during the vac for a bit in my 3rd year and actually really liked living there - if you're on one of the higher floors you get a balcony which is really lovely.

There are a few Woodstock Road houses that tend to be reserved for grads, but I've heard that they've been used for freshers recently - they tend to be a bit quieter, but the rooms are absolutely enormous. Some have sinks, some don't - really luck of the draw, and they tend to have lots of bathrooms and a huge kitchen between everybody (with a big table), and they're actual houses so they tend to feel pretty homely.

Hope that's helpful! :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you so much that's really put me at ease. When is the accommodation allocated? Also I've accepted my offer but haven't heard anything at all, but not sure if I should have by now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's ok! If I remember correctly, you find out when you turn up, so put it aside and don't worry about it! You pay the same for all the accommodation as well so nothing to worry about there either.

I don't think I heard anything for a little while after I accepted - you'll be sent a pack nearer the time but I wouldn't expect it until the summer.
Reply 6
Okay. I'll just have to put it to the back of my mind for now then! Thank you again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending