The Student Room Group

Urgent GCSE help! A*s galore

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by raineandfyre
I mostly went for the "get helpful parent to ask questions from revision guide a few days before exam" method when I did my GCSEs. That worked fairly well for me, I got 1A^, 8A*, 2A and 1B overall (the B was citizenship in Y10, which was 60% coursework that I just scraped a C in due to not being in most of the lessons) though I didn't really deserve it in all honesty. That was all very well when my UMS didn't matter, but I'm aiming for 93%+ in all my AS exams so I've had to raise my game a whole lot this year, which hasn't been fun... you're definitely right to start the hard work in Y11, then you'll probably have more in the way of study skills by AS than I had, which should be a real advantage when you get to it.

One notable exception to my rather laid back approach was French - I got the helpful parent to regularly test me on vocab in the weeks leading up to the exam, and to improve my listening I found an Alcest (a French band) interview on Youtube which was in French with English subs, and saw how much of it I could understand. I can't stress enough how helpful that was - because it was with native French speakers it was at normal speed, so when I went back into lessons my brain was used to a much faster pace than the practice listening tests we were doing, and I could just understand it all effortlessly. I'd suggest trying something similar for your Spanish.

For Music (AQA) I got an A because coursework dragged me down, but I got full UMS in the exam through a combination of relentless practice of past papers in class and good questions coming up on the real thing. I also went on the Bitesize site the weekend before the exam, but that wasn't any help as my course content wasn't the same as the material they had on there.

In Geography (AQA A - ask me anything if you like) I scraped my way to an A* through getting a re-mark of the physical paper. It is so so so important to learn your case studies inside out, and everyone will tell you that, but it really is essential. Another specific point, which I think let me down a bit, was that you should be aware that they can throw in the exact same case studies you've studied, so if you've covered two that work for the exact same area of the course, choose your favourite to learn in depth, but also go over the main points of another one just in case. In my physical exam, we'd studied the Boscastle floods in class, which I learnt, but then there was a whole section in reference to that on the exam and I didn't have anything else to talk about, so it looked like I didn't have any knowledge other than that given in the question.

I also did AQA L2 Certificate in Further Maths, and I saw it as just a bonus since I knew I'd already got a very high A* in GCSE (this was when you could sit exams in November, as I did the very last modular entry exams for Maths). So I did no revision at all outside of school, but they made us come in for maths lessons even though we'd finished every other subject, so I suppose I revised for this by doing past papers, which is what we did in class. As you've probably guessed by my grades (above) I got an A^ in this.

So anyway, I'm taking all maths based subjects now, and what I've found works best for me is literally just doing past papers, marking them (harshly) and going over things I don't understand, so I'm learning not only the content but the exam technique as well, and I'm not wasting time and getting bored going over things I already know inside out. We'll see in August how effective this method actually is (and I really hope it works!), but 'traditional' revision bores me to tears, whereas I see exam papers as exciting challenges, so it makes studying bearable for me. The one cautionary point I would make is that you shouldn't do a whole load of them in one go, then mark them all at once, as this is just wasting the finite supply of past papers there are available. Mark each one after you've finished it, look at the topic areas you've dropped most marks on, and then go over that content again, obviously being aware of what was a stupid mistake and what was genuine lack of understanding. That way you get to compare your marks and see how you are improving :smile:

I'm sorry this is very long and excessively verbose. Good luck with your revision and I hope you get all those A*s!

*EDIT* Forgot to mention, for any bits of content I need to stick in my brain, I've made a few simple posters with felt tips, nothing artistic, but decorative enough that I'll read them. Great for definitions/bond angles/trig identities etc!

Geography - get your teacher to get hold of last year's paper - I found the wording a bi different to past papers we'd seen, as did most of my year taking geography. It's just one less thing which can throw you if you know how theye ask questions. :wink:
I do AQA. It is harder than GCSE (which you'd expect as it's a higher level qualification) but more interesting imo, although a lot of people seem to really struggle, which I don't quite get as it seems pretty straightforward to me. I've actually been hating how slow the pace in class has been of late, although it is very possible that it's just me who thinks like that...

Half of the first unit of AS is completely new, it's an introduction to particle/quantum physics and a lot of it is learning what the particles are and how they interact, rather than calculations. The other half of that unit is an extension of the electronics stuff from GCSE - and you really need to know the principles inside out, or you can't answer any of the questions. It's quite hard but, once you start to get your head around it, a satisfying challenge.

Apart from that, it's basically ALL calculations and maths stuff, but you do get most of the equations you need, and a list of the constants, although I've found you end up being able to recite a lot of them from memory as you use them so often (Planck's constant, h = 6.63x10^-34 will be embedded in my brain forevermore)! If you decide to take it, I would advise that you definitely take A level Maths as well, and do the Mechanics optional modules if you get to choose, because people I know who haven't done that are struggling a bit with the mechanics part of the second Physics AS unit. That isn't at all because it's difficult (it's not too bad if you put the time in to learn it properly), but it's because most people who take Physics also take Maths A level, and mechanics as their optional module, so the teachers skip over explaining a lot of the more basic stuff as people already know it.

It's sad that you can't take Chemistry, A level is way better than GCSE (although a lot different and again a lot of people really struggle - far more than struggle with Physics). But I would definitely suggest you take Physics, it's fun and interesting, and if you do well it makes you stand out as it's perceived to be a hard subject. Also, practicals are way easier than in Chemistry and you don't have to be as careful with safety (although, for the record, do not connect a resistor up in a circuit before you've checked that the power pack is turned down, the smell of burning components is thoroughly unpleasant...) so it's a lot easier to get away with playing with things in the name of science. :smile:

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it. I like equations/maths so it's a relief that not most of it is theory. Thanks again, for taking the time to write this in such helpful detail :smile: I will follow your tips :tongue:
Reply 62
Original post by Lauren-x-
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it. I like equations/maths so it's a relief that not most of it is theory. Thanks again, for taking the time to write this in such helpful detail :smile: I will follow your tips :tongue:

One from me, get the revision guide BEFORE YOU START. Official textbooks will likely be full of contextual stuff you won't be examined on, so it really helps to make sure you're studying the relevant stuff for an exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lauren-x-

No problem :biggrin: I'd also recommend Further Maths if you like maths and don't need/want to take up options with other things, it's really fun :smile:
After learning the material, I would recommend for most subjects (especially sciences) to do each past paper twice: do it once under timed conditions, then mark with the mark scheme, correcting the questions you got wrong to get full marks. Then, without looking at this, complete the paper again, without the mark scheme.
Once you complete a few like this, you will write answers in the real exam that virtually match the examiner's mark scheme. Of course, you need to know the content first for this to work, so spend a few hours before the exam reading through your notes.
I got 5 A*s in mocks with this method but for only one past paper for each plus 2-4 hours revising everything in the exam first.
I did maths edexcel and got an A* so feel free to ask any questions
Original post by ThatTeenGirl03
I did maths edexcel and got an A* so feel free to ask any questions

Thank you!!
Reply 67
Original post by sumi99
Is it possible to get 8 in less than 90 days

Yes
Reply 68
I'm also doing my GCSE's this year. Just to put things into perspective and to take the pressure off of you a bit, when my cousin was in year 11 he didn't work at all and in his mocks he got B's and C's. He didn't work all winter and started revision mid-feb and managed to get all A*'s. It is possible so keep at it :biggrin:
Original post by aha1
I'm also doing my GCSE's this year. Just to put things into perspective and to take the pressure off of you a bit, when my cousin was in year 11 he didn't work at all and in his mocks he got B's and C's. He didn't work all winter and started revision mid-feb and managed to get all A*'s. It is possible so keep at it :biggrin:

OMG! he needs to PM me that's amazing!!! Such a drastic improvement
Reply 70
Original post by sumi99
OMG! he needs to PM me that's amazing!!! Such a drastic improvement

I know it's crazy he's now studying medicine at Cambridge... Anyway if you like we can stress out together?? :wink:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aha1
I know it's crazy he's now studying medicine at Cambridge... Anyway if you like we can stress out together?? :wink:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

did he give u any revision tips

Yeah let's stress together

#procrastination is realllll :'(
Reply 72
Original post by sumi99
did he give u any revision tips

Yeah let's stress together

#procrastination is realllll :'(

I haven't asked him to be honest...I literally had my whole half term figured out to revise loads and finish my notes...it's Sunday and all that I've done is make a revision timetable...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by panda14
Geography - get your teacher to get hold of last year's paper - I found the wording a bi different to past papers we'd seen, as did most of my year taking geography. It's just one less thing which can throw you if you know how theye ask questions. :wink:

Thank you for that great piece of advice!!
I done my GCSE's 2 years ago and the best tips I could give are:
-DO PAST PAPERS!!! trust me they help A LOT. Some points in the mark scheme aren't in the textbooks, or they want specific answers so its really good to do past papers & then go through the mark scheme. I would do a few without time to get the hang of it and then time yourself. You'll also notice that in some subjects the questions are recycled every year. for example, in maths most of the topics in each exam paper are the same with the odd random question.
- TEACH SOMEONE!! so after I'd revised my notes, I would literally teach anyone I could. If someone was stuck on a question I would start teaching them. Anytime, we talk about a specific topic I would start spouting everything I knew on it. Yes, your friends & family will get annoyed but it helps! not only you but also any friends that do the same subjects.
-WRITE QUESTIONS THAT SUM UP ALL THE INFORMATION ON A PAGE AND TEST YOURSELF EVERY NIGHT
- GET AN A3 PAPER AND WRITE EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT TOPIC ON THERE (E.G. THE HEART), USE DIAGRAMS & THEN GO BACK TO YOUR BOOK AND SEE WHAT YOU MISSED OUT.

My GCSEs are biology (OCR), chemistry (OCR), physics (OCR), maths (EDEXCEL), further maths (AQA), english lit. & english language (AQA), art (AQA), geography (EDEXCEL), RS & HUMANITIES (AQA)
Original post by aha1
I haven't asked him to be honest...I literally had my whole half term figured out to revise loads and finish my notes...it's Sunday and all that I've done is make a revision timetable...

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG......same here.........still procrastinating...............:h:
Hi has anyone here done the chemistry additional science controlled assesement this year? If so please pm me.
I mostly went for the "get helpful parent to ask questions from revision guide a few days before exam" method when I did my GCSEs. That worked fairly well for me, I got 1A^, 8A*, 2A and 1B overall (the B was citizenship in Y10, which was 60% coursework that I just scraped a C in due to not being in most of the lessons) though I didn't really deserve it in all honesty. That was all very well when my UMS didn't matter, but I'm aiming for 93%+ in all my AS exams so I've had to raise my game a whole lot this year, which hasn't been fun... you're definitely right to start the hard work in Y11, then you'll probably have more in the way of study skills by AS than I had, which should be a real advantage when you get to it.

One notable exception to my rather laid back approach was French - I got the helpful parent to regularly test me on vocab in the weeks leading up to the exam, and to improve my listening I found an Alcest (a French band) interview on Youtube which was in French with English subs, and saw how much of it I could understand. I can't stress enough how helpful that was - because it was with native French speakers it was at normal speed, so when I went back into lessons my brain was used to a much faster pace than the practice listening tests we were doing, and I could just understand it all effortlessly. I'd suggest trying something similar for your Spanish.

For Music (AQA) I got an A because coursework dragged me down, but I got full UMS in the exam through a combination of relentless practice of past papers in class and good questions coming up on the real thing. I also went on the Bitesize site the weekend before the exam, but that wasn't any help as my course content wasn't the same as the material they had on there.

In Geography (AQA A - ask me anything if you like) I scraped my way to an A* through getting a re-mark of the physical paper. It is so so so important to learn your case studies inside out, and everyone will tell you that, but it really is essential. Another specific point, which I think let me down a bit, was that you should be aware that they can throw in the exact same case studies you've studied, so if you've covered two that work for the exact same area of the course, choose your favourite to learn in depth, but also go over the main points of another one just in case. In my physical exam, we'd studied the Boscastle floods in class, which I learnt, but then there was a whole section in reference to that on the exam and I didn't have anything else to talk about, so it looked like I didn't have any knowledge other than that given in the question.

I also did AQA L2 Certificate in Further Maths, and I saw it as just a bonus since I knew I'd already got a very high A* in GCSE (this was when you could sit exams in November, as I did the very last modular entry exams for Maths). So I did no revision at all outside of school, but they made us come in for maths lessons even though we'd finished every other subject, so I suppose I revised for this by doing past papers, which is what we did in class. As you've probably guessed by my grades (above) I got an A^ in this.

So anyway, I'm taking all maths based subjects now, and what I've found works best for me is literally just doing past papers, marking them (harshly) and going over things I don't understand, so I'm learning not only the content but the exam technique as well, and I'm not wasting time and getting bored going over things I already know inside out. We'll see in August how effective this method actually is (and I really hope it works!), but 'traditional' revision bores me to tears, whereas I see exam papers as exciting challenges, so it makes studying bearable for me. The one cautionary point I would make is that you shouldn't do a whole load of them in one go, then mark them all at once, as this is just wasting the finite supply of past papers there are available. Mark each one after you've finished it, look at the topic areas you've dropped most marks on, and then go over that content again, obviously being aware of what was a stupid mistake and what was genuine lack of understanding. That way you get to compare your marks and see how you are improving :smile:

I'm sorry this is very long and excessively verbose. Good luck with your revision and I hope you get all those A*s!

*EDIT* Forgot to mention, for any bits of content I need to stick in my brain, I've made a few simple posters with felt tips, nothing artistic, but decorative enough that I'll read them. Great for definitions/bond angles/trig identities etc!

when did u start :h:
No problem :biggrin: I'd also recommend Further Maths if you like maths and don't need/want to take up options with other things, it's really fun :smile:

Definitely taking maths, further maths and history! :biggrin:
Original post by sumi99
when did u start :h:

When I did my GCSEs? Probably 2 weeks before the exam for French, 1-3 days before for everything else, and I did no revision at all for English, RE and Citizenship.

*EDIT* Also none for Maths or Further Maths.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest