The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Switching to Open Degree

I'm thinking of changing from Social Science to an open degree. Could I follow the Environmental Science modules this way since the credits from the first Social Science module isn't transferable?
As I understand it, you can do any module you like on an Open degree so theoretically you could take the Environmental Science modules... however, I think it would be difficult to do without having first completed the level 1 Exploring science module. At the very least you should read the relevant books from that module (you buy them on eBay) and the OU website suggests you also read The Sciences Good Study Guide by A. Northedge. I suggest you take this quiz, it is supposed to tell you whether you're ready to do the Environmental science module or not.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by xavii
I'm thinking of changing from Social Science to an open degree. Could I follow the Environmental Science modules this way since the credits from the first Social Science module isn't transferable?

I'm currently doing an open degree and have been able to choose any modules. So yes, you should be able to follow the Environmental Science modules.

Also, if you have missed the S104 Module, I have PDF versions of the books and intro guide that I could send you so you know what you would have studied.

If you want them let me know and I will upload them. Good luck either way.
I am the same now.
I have done one year worth of business and decided it's totally not for me, had year break and thinking about coming back to it but with open degree.

I just don't wanna waste more time and I am worried that I will pick something that won't go well together and will turn out to be waste of time.
Original post by katrina89
I am the same now.
I have done one year worth of business and decided it's totally not for me, had year break and thinking about coming back to it but with open degree.

I just don't wanna waste more time and I am worried that I will pick something that won't go well together and will turn out to be waste of time.

With an open degree you have a lot of freedom to choose, as long as it benefits you in some way then it won't be a waste of time. What modules were you thinking of doing?
Wanted to do open degree connecting IT and business alyhough i Can see that computing modules through OU have quite bad reputation over here:/
Reply 6
Wanted to do open degree connecting IT and business alyhough i Can see that computing modules through OU have quite bad reputation over here:/

It'd be more accurate to say that My Digital Life has a pretty bad reputation, and that Technologies in Practice has quite a lukewarm reception, at least on the Open University website which you can find by going to A - Z Subjects - Computing - Scroll down to modules - Click a module - quotes from reviews should be there with a read more option or there will be a link at the side of the page. Most of the level 2 and 3 Computing modules are seen as being quite good. I can't comment on the overall opinions of this forum, however; or any personal ones, since I start in October.

Also you can do a named degree Computing & IT and Business as one of the options for Q67: Computing & IT and a Second Subject if it's possible for you to switch to it. Some of the level 2 and 3 options for Computing are also more business / management oriented such as IT Project and Service Management at level 2 and Ebusiness Technologies: Foundations and Practice at level 3.

It's worth identifying what areas of Computing you're more interested in though. Getting a prospectus might help, as could doing online courses on something like OpenLearn, Futurelearn or Coursera. I'm personally more interested in Computer Science but the OU has options for networking, software development, digital technologies and solutions development as well. So you can focus on computational theory or setting up networks or learning about how technologies like the internet work depending on what you're more interested in. I can't comment so much on business but a glance at the degree page shows a lot of different pathways there as well - the same advice about finding the right one for you applies.
I am thinking about doing Open degree but not sure how does this work - I have already Cert of HE in Business and management from OU - I had a year break to decide what I want to do.

Could I just transfer credits to open degree and do level two business and something else with it? or do I have to do some other topic level 1 as well?
I am thinking about doing Open degree but not sure how does this work - I have already Cert of HE in Business and management from OU - I had a year break to decide what I want to do.

Could I just transfer credits to open degree and do level two business and something else with it? or do I have to do some other topic level 1 as well?

If you contact them about it you should be able to get your credits transferred easily. Then you can choose to do whatever other modules you want to get the rest of the credits you need. If you already have all your level 1 credits you shouldn't need to add to them.
I just worry a bit that employers will look at open degree as 'worse' than any other just because it's pick and mix. Well I know I have to think what I am studying, obviously not gonna mix it all but just wondering is it gonna affect this way.
Reply 10
I just worry a bit that employers will look at open degree as 'worse' than any other just because it's pick and mix. Well I know I have to think what I am studying, obviously not gonna mix it all but just wondering is it gonna affect this way.

I would imagine that any employer who would discriminate against you because you have an Open Degree would have already done so because of your degree coming from the Open University, regardless of what it was. There are so many different degrees with all sorts of different names now that they're going to be more interested in your degree classification and what you actually covered.

I've seen a fair few threads about this very subject (whether an Open Degree is worse or not) suggest that you put a broad description of what you studied after listing your degree on a CV.

E.g:

"BSc (Hons) Open degree
(IT & Business)"
Thanks, will have to rethink and just do it as open degree a spit it as you say on cv. I consider just finishing off business degree for sake of it but the reason why I stopped in the first place was that it was boring for me and not sure I can imagine myself working in that in long run.
Looking at it from another perspective business and management might be useful almost anywhere in looking for job, unless I am wrong.

Lots of thinking for me to do then!
Reply 12
I read somewhere that the majority of all graduate jobs ask for a degree is any discipline. They just require a certain grade. So I wouldnt worry too much what modules you study within the open degree as long as you don't do lots of completely different topics, if you get me.

Maybe take a look at some graduate jobs online and you might get an idea of what sort of degree you would need.

Quick Reply

Latest