The Student Room Group

Obama criticised for telling Christians to get off high horse over Islamic extremism

'The Independent'

President Obama has enraged American Christians by urging them not to "get on a high horse" over atrocities committed in the name of Islam.

Speaking at the National Prayer Breakfast, with the Dalai Lama in attendance, Obama said people should consider the history of "terrible deeds" committed in the name of Christ before describing violent extremism as an problem exclusive to Islam.

Of religion's ability to inspire both compassion and murder, the President said: "Humanity has been grappling with these questions throughout human history

"And lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ.

"In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ."

This comparison has drawn blistering criticism from politicians and pundits who claim the President should focus on defeating Isis instead of criticising Christianity.

Former Virginia governor Jim Gilmore said: "The president’s comments this morning at the prayer breakfast are the most offensive I've ever heard a president make in my lifetime.

"He has offended every believing Christian in the United States. This goes further to the point that Mr. Obama does not believe in America or the values we all share.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/obama-criticised-for-telling-christians-to-get-off-high-horse-over-islamic-extremism-10030790.html

So was Obama wrong to make this comment - or was he actually saying something that many of us are thinking?

Please do not use this thread for religious debate.

Scroll to see replies

Oh, do one Obama.

We've all passed a lot of water since Christianity was committing atrocities, and it's not them who are causing deaths all over the world. Also, the fact that islam is still newer and more primitive doesn't give its followers an excuse to act like they're in the past, the world moves on regardless of what religion you follow.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Reluire
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/obama-criticised-for-telling-christians-to-get-off-high-horse-over-islamic-extremism-10030790.html

So was Obama wrong to make this comment - or was he actually saying something that many of us are thinking?

Please do not use this thread for religious debate.

he was not saying something that i was thinking. Americans have gone to great lengths to separate Church & State. Mr Obama should stick to the politics.
Reply 3
Christian extremism is no longer relevant. Islamic extremism is.

The communist-influenced Barry Soetoro can say what he really thinks now that he hasn't got elections to win any more. He's your run-of-the-mill hand-wringing lefty, no cojones whatsoever.
Reply 4
He's not wrong though, that's what they're most angry about.
The key to understanding how Islamic Extremism can be stopped is already known. We must simply look at the reformation of Christianity in its transition from extremism to tolerance, and apply those principles and lessons to Islam.

One of the key steps is the education of Islamic countries. The western world needs to work with and support the education of Muslims countries, and this can only be done through negotiations.

So yes. Christians should get off their high horse.
Original post by Xin Xang
The key to understanding how Islamic Extremism can be stopped is already known. We must simply look at the reformation of Christianity in its transition from extremism to tolerance, and apply those principles and lessons to Islam.

One of the key steps is the education of Islamic countries. The western world needs to work with and support the education of Muslims countries, and this can only be done through negotiations.

There weren't pre-civilised people to help the Western world move with the times.
I like Obama, and I agree to some extent with what he is saying. But this is one of those things he should have kept to himself, it's only gonna cause outrage.
He's saying that people should not start attacking Islam and Muslims for what ISIS are doing. ISIS are a terrorist group that everyone should fear, even Muslims, and their actions should not be generalised to all Muslims as that would be Anti-Muslimism. I 100% agree with Obama.
Original post by Skip_Snip
There weren't pre-civilised people to help the Western world move with the times.

Exactly, which is why the Islamic reformation must take place over a much shorter period of time.
Consequently this will require us to guide Islam through a much safer path to tolerance than that taken by Christianity, which resulted in millions of deaths.
There's no excuse for many of the atrocities which have been committed. It's probably about culture more than religion anyway.
Oh no, I guess Germany can't complain about anything because the Holocaust happened." Child getting abuse? Oh please, the holocaust happened, so grin and bear it"

Obama is stupid.
Original post by Snagprophet
Oh no, I guess Germany can't complain about anything because the Holocaust happened." Child getting abuse? Oh please, the holocaust happened, so grin and bear it"

Obama is stupid.

I don't think he is saying Islam can't be criticised, I think he is simply saying that extremism exist in all religions, thus people shouldn't act like it's something unique to Islam.
Google Frank Marshall Davis if you want to see the sort of person Obama idolises.
Original post by Jibola240
I don't think he is saying Islam can't be criticised, I think he is simply saying that extremism exist in all religions, thus people shouldn't act like it's something unique to Islam.

Except Obama is scraping the barrel to find examples of Christian extremism, referring to events that took place a long time ago.

Islamic extremism is happening now.
Lol. How exactly is a thread about religion not meant to end in religious debate?
I think that the comparisons were very apt.

Sure, religious extremism from Muslims is "now and happening" and Christian extremism has died down (for the most part) It still obviously continues with the likes of the KKK, the LRA and abortion clinic murders

During the inquisition, the hardcore religious zealots would happily behead you if you were the wrong type of Christian, or a Muslim, or a Jew

I don't doubt that if the inquisition were around today, theyd actually be MORE brutal than ISIS, because they'd have access to 20th/21st century weapons

The KKK would also happily burn people of other religions or races as well

I do think the comparison is a good comparison to make. Sure, the inquisition was centuries ago, and the KKK burning people was a decade or two ago, but imo, they do hit home,and people don't like that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by #Ridwan
Except Obama is scraping the barrel to find examples of Christian extremism, referring to events that took place a long time ago.

Islamic extremism is happening now.

Ummm...KKK much?:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xin Xang

I would agree with this. The road to tolerance was not peaceful. It was really bloody. It's not something that happened overnight either. I think we took a HUGE step back during WW1/WW2 when we put in place the house of Saud, instead of the Hashemites (The guys who had an army which was 1/3 Christian, which is a HUGE deal when Christians are a minority in the ME)

Though because of where we are today, the only thing we can do is make them more liberal, bit by bit. The last king of Saudi Arabia was quite liberal (It's just that the King doesn't REALLY have all the power. The family does) and he needed some kind of excuse to disband the religious police. He had his excuse, when they were blocking schools for girls

So it's now having to work with the same tyrannical regimes, we propped up in the first place...
Original post by The_Internet
I think that the comparisons were very apt.

Sure, religious extremism from Muslims is "now and happening" and Christian extremism has died down (for the most part) It still obviously continues with the likes of the KKK, the LRA and abortion clinic murders

During the inquisition, the hardcore religious zealots would happily behead you if you were the wrong type of Christian, or a Muslim, or a Jew

I don't doubt that if the inquisition were around today, theyd actually be MORE brutal than ISIS, because they'd have access to 20th/21st century weapons

The KKK would also happily burn people of other religions or races as well

I do think the comparison is a good comparison to make. Sure, the inquisition was centuries ago, and the KKK burning people was a decade or two ago, but imo, they do hit home,and people don't like that.

The KKK is probably pretty tiny.

You can't really apply modern standards to events that occurred centuries ago. The bit in bold is nonsense.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending