The Student Room Group

Obama criticised for telling Christians to get off high horse over Islamic extremism

Scroll to see replies

You can tell that Obama literally doesn't care any more now that he is in his second term. Any President running for a re-election would probably lose the entire Christian right vote making such a remark.

Anyway I think that anyone whether they are Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or Atheist has a right and some might even say duty to challenge and criticise Islamic extremism. How dare he criticise people for exercising their right to condemn a vile ideology. As Commander in Chief he should bloody well focus on creating a coherent and viable strategy to rid the middle east of this vermin.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by elhm1800
But following on that logic isis is slaughtering just as many Muslims as non muslims, if not more...so enforcing islam is not their primary motivation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, because ISIS are killing Muslims for not following Islam correctly.

The KKK were not killing Blacks for not following Christianity correctly.
Original post by Reluire
Please do not use this thread for religious debate.

In that case you might want to have chosen a different topic for the thread than comparative religion.
I think he's right tbh, in light of people constantly meeting discussions of ISIS with "you don't see us Christians doing that." It's not ****ing helping, so yeah, they need to get off their high horse. But of course not everyone does this.
Original post by The_Internet
I think that the comparisons were very apt.

Sure, religious extremism from Muslims is "now and happening" and Christian extremism has died down (for the most part) It still obviously continues with the likes of the KKK, the LRA and abortion clinic murders

During the inquisition, the hardcore religious zealots would happily behead you if you were the wrong type of Christian, or a Muslim, or a Jew

I don't doubt that if the inquisition were around today, theyd actually be MORE brutal than ISIS, because they'd have access to 20th/21st century weapons

The KKK would also happily burn people of other religions or races as well

I do think the comparison is a good comparison to make. Sure, the inquisition was centuries ago, and the KKK burning people was a decade or two ago, but imo, they do hit home,and people don't like that.

The problem is who it is coming from. If some great statesman like George Bush Snr has said it then it is one thing but Obama is such a tool and such an awful president that it sounds like politically correct hypersensitive drivel. Thank god, (lol) that this is his last term in the white house. Let us hope he is not followed by the one **** up who might be worse than him, Hilary Clinton.
Original post by Snagprophet
Oh no, I guess Germany can't complain about anything because the Holocaust happened." Child getting abuse? Oh please, the holocaust happened, so grin and bear it"

Obama is stupid.

I'm not sure that's exactly what he meant. I think he was trying to say that the actions of ISIS aren't evidence that Christianity is superior to Islam, because atrocities have been committed in the name of Christianity, too. He wasn't saying that the actions of ISIS didn't count as atrocities because worse ones had happened. At the risk of sounding clichéd, I think you just defeated a straw man.
What a boss.
Original post by Swanbow
You can tell that Obama literally doesn't care any more now that he is in his second term. Any President running for a re-election would probably lose the entire Christian right vote making such a remark.

Anyway I think that anyone whether they are Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or Atheist has a right and some might even say duty to challenge and criticise Islamic extremism. How dare he criticise people for exercising their right to condemn a vile ideology. As Commander in Chief he should bloody well focus on creating a coherent and viable strategy to rid the middle east of this vermin.

Hmmm... I'm not sure Jesus advocated genocide.
Original post by DorianGrayism
The KKK was not motivated by Christianity.

If Ted Bundy went to Church, I wouldn't go around telling people that his actions are an example of Christian extremism.

Right, because clearly the front page of their website doesn't say:

America, Our Nation is Under Judgement from God!
Original post by the bear
he was not saying something that i was thinking. Americans have gone to great lengths to separate Church & State. Mr Obama should stick to the politics.

Religion is inherently political. Always has been.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Reluire
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/obama-criticised-for-telling-christians-to-get-off-high-horse-over-islamic-extremism-10030790.html

So was Obama wrong to make this comment - or was he actually saying something that many of us are thinking?

Please do not use this thread for religious debate.

Good one, Obama. :smile: Democracy in its true sense, finally.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I'm not sure that's exactly what he meant. I think he was trying to say that the actions of ISIS aren't evidence that Christianity is superior to Islam, because atrocities have been committed in the name of Christianity, too. He wasn't saying that the actions of ISIS didn't count as atrocities because worse ones had happened. At the risk of sounding clichéd, I think you just defeated a straw man.

The point isn't what has happened, but what is happening. Any wrong that Christianity is doing is in a completely different league to Islam.
Original post by #Ridwan

Then again, Obama and most of the left view Muslims as untouchable victims so cannot bring himself to ever suggest that they aren't perfect.

For pities sake. The left is full of the 'opium of the people' rhetoric with regards to religion you twit. You are mistaking a reluctance to join in on a holy Christian crusade and defiance of Christianity (since that is the religion that dominates the west mostly) as meaning this 'left' you speak of as being Muslim extremist sympathizers. How does the fact the Charlie Hebdo paper was a left wing paper fit in your warped world view?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Snagprophet
The point isn't what has happened, but what is happening. Any wrong that Christianity is doing is in a completely different league to Islam.

so you are pinning the actions of one particular group on an entire religion? - thats what most people do tbh and thats wrong ive met a fair few people who are muslim and they were good people.Its just unfourtanate that some muslims like christians are bad people...
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
For pities sake. The left is full of the 'opium of the people' rhetoric with regards to religion you twit. You are mistaking a reluctance to join in on a holy Christian crusade and defiance of Christianity (since that is the religion that dominates the west mostly) as meaning this 'left' you speak of as being Muslim extremist sympathizers. How does the fact the Charlie Hebdo paper was a left wing paper fit in your warped world view?

It's not the 1970s anymore, the majority of the left (Charlie Hebdo being a notable exception) no longer subscribe to this sort of stuff.

Pretty much everyone in the modern day Labour party subscribes to the timid, pseudo-atheist "reasonable pluralism" of post-1990 Rawls which essentially states that we need to be nice to religious people and that anyone who criticises religion, particularly Islam (as the left view them as the victims of the 21st century) is seeking to cause "division" and is a "bigot" etc.

See the toothless writings of Owen Jones for the embodiment of this world view.

I'm also struggling to see how you can interpret criticism of radical Islam as a "Christian crusade", especially when, for example, some of the strongest opposition to IS is coming from within Islam, see the actions of the Jordanian government for example. No doubt if Western parties said the same things about IS that Jordanian leaders have done, the likes of Owen Jones would be queuing up to call them racist etc.

Don't accuse me of a warped world view when your world view involves pretending the left haven't changed at all since Foot and Benn were running the Labour party.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Hmmm... I'm not sure Jesus advocated genocide.

No, but St. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas were all for Just War. And as the West is largely secular so I don't see what relevance Jesus's pacifism has to how it conducts it's foreign policy.

And word 'genocide' cannot be used to refer to the killing of lawful and unlawful combatants under the Rules of War. Genocide is more along the lines of the types of atrocities that ISIS is committing against the Yazidis.
Original post by clh_hilary
Right, because clearly the front page of their website doesn't say:

America, Our Nation is Under Judgement from God!

No, their motivation was not Christianity.

Their motivation was maintaining racial supremacy. They would not have existed otherwise.

They didn't kill blacks to enforce their version of Christianity.
No, their motivation was not Christianity.

Their motivation was maintaining racial supremacy. They would not have existed otherwise.

They didn't kill blacks to enforce their version of Christianity.

Yes, because they clearly didn't say it's because they believe God created America as a 'white christian nation'.

And they likewise didn't say 'we believe there are those who hate the concepts of Western civilization Christianity and wish to turn the United States into a different type of nation than what was originally intended by our ancestors.' Or that they didn't mention 'christianity' in why they did what they have done literally everywhere in their FAQ.

And they clearly don't light up crosses 'to hon[o]ur Jesus Christ', and using that as their symbol.

And lines like this also were obviously not listed on their website:
'We require for our members to profess a belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.'
'The Knights is a political organization who seeks to one day place Christian men and women into seats of public office.'

And they clearly don't have the goal to form a christian government.

Also, they obviously didn't set being a christian as their only criterion for being an official supporter. (Yes, you can actually be an official supporter of the KKK ever if you're black or from another non-white racial background. The only requirement is for you to be christian.)

And they're also not having a 'Faith and Freedom Conference'.

The denial is real.
Original post by clh_hilary
Yes, because they ...... real.

Just stop rambling and actually reply to what I said.

As I said before, they were not killing Blacks to enforce their version of Christianity.

They killed because they were primarily a racial supremacist organisation.
Just stop rambling and actually reply to what I said.

As I said before, they were not killing Blacks to enforce their version of Christianity.

They killed because they were primarily a racial supremacist organisation.

Without Christianity the KKK wouldn't have existed. They are Christian extremists....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending