The Student Room Group

Marine Biology/Zoology/Animal Sciences 2015 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hg2894
Oh really? Did anything in particular spur you onto wanting to study Marine Biology? Hahaha, yes turtles are super cool:tongue:
I'm just obsessed with pretty much everything to do with it - I love the fact that everything works together and has a purpose to create this amazing environment that's abundant with pretty much anything and everything that you could ever think of! I definitely want to go into conservation and research, there's so much to research because there's just nothing really known about so much of the ocean! I think that's another really interesting thing - that we've explored less that 5% of the ocean. It's absolutely mind blowing to think about what else is down there.

You are really determined! I absolutely agree with you, there is so much to discover about the oceans! 😊
Original post by hg2894
Oh really? Did anything in particular spur you onto wanting to study Marine Biology? Hahaha, yes turtles are super cool:tongue:
I'm just obsessed with pretty much everything to do with it - I love the fact that everything works together and has a purpose to create this amazing environment that's abundant with pretty much anything and everything that you could ever think of! I definitely want to go into conservation and research, there's so much to research because there's just nothing really known about so much of the ocean! I think that's another really interesting thing - that we've explored less that 5% of the ocean. It's absolutely mind blowing to think about what else is down there.

That's exactly how I feel. Since my first dive, I've been obsessed. I'm a bit of an oddity at my school, the careers advisor had never dealt with anyone who wanted to do marine biology before, being based in Surrey.
Hey all,
I really want to do coral reef conservation when I'm older, but I have no idea what course to do.
Any thoughts? I just don't know what would be most suitable and I'm not sure which Uni to choose for it.
Please Help :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by castl021.302
Hey all,
I really want to do coral reef conservation when I'm older, but I have no idea what course to do.
Any thoughts? I just don't know what would be most suitable and I'm not sure which Uni to choose for it.
Please Help :smile:

Marine Biology would be the best option to get into coral reef conservation, as for university, look at the course content and find a university that has modules that interest you most. Attend open days where you will get to see the campus and speak to lecturers.
OMG Thank You!!!

Decided (more or less) to keep my horizons broad and do a BSc in Zoology and then the do a Masters in Marine Biology that way I have the foundations....
But then again I could change my mind...(again)... :-D
But, no seriously, i really do value your help
Thank you again
Reply 25
OMG Thank You!!!

Decided (more or less) to keep my horizons broad and do a BSc in Zoology and then the do a Masters in Marine Biology that way I have the foundations....
But then again I could change my mind...(again)... :-D
But, no seriously, i really do value your help
Thank you again

Good plan, I am currently studying Zoology and quite a few people in my class are doing just that; Studying Zoology, and then doing Marine biology for postgrad. It leaves you with more options when you finish. Look out for Zoology degrees that have Marine biology modules, they will usually be offered as optional modules.
Thank you!
How are you finding zoology? Which university did you go to, and how did you choose it?
Reply 27
Thank you!
How are you finding zoology? Which university did you go to, and how did you choose it?

I really love it and I'm so glad I chose it; its really interesting. I chose Zoology because I want a career which involves wildlife in some way, and at the moment I'm leaning towards the ecology side of it.
Original post by xlizx
I really love it and I'm so glad I chose it; its really interesting. I chose Zoology because I want a career which involves wildlife in some way, and at the moment I'm leaning towards the ecology side of it.

How is ecology different to zoology?
What A levels did you take and what did you get ( if you don't mind me asking)? :smile:
Reply 29
How is ecology different to zoology?
What A levels did you take and what did you get ( if you don't mind me asking)? :smile:

Ecology is part of Zoology, and is one of the career paths that you can follow with a Zoology degree. I actually did a BTEC in an unrelated subject , and then did a foundation year with my degree.
Reply 30
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1479863719003342/

A group for marine biology 2015 studemts in September :smile:

See you soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending