The Student Room Group

Mock Interview Day... any advice?

Hi everyone. Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place...

Next Friday, I will be having a mock interview day at school. I will need to come in for an appointment sometime during the day (don't know what time yet), and an employer from an existing company will interview me, as though I'm applying for that job. Then I have to evaluate how I did. I have to wear smart clothing or a suit that day.

Does anyone have any advice for me? :smile:

Cheers
Car Expert
Reply 1
I watched a programme on something like once. The advice was to be confident about what your saying, pause before answering any questions to stop yourself babbling, make yourself seem interesting etc :smile: I think i would like to do something like that, it would be a good experience for me even though i would probably dread it :frown: Good luck Car Expert :hugs: x
Reply 2
Ditto to Bexiness.

Act confident, speak clearly, answer the questions - don't waffle, show some character, they don't want boring people:rolleyes: .

I had a university interview once in front of all my year. It was hilarious :biggrin: .
I can't offer any advice - I'm crap at interviews - but good luck!

Oh, look as smart as possible - good first impressions; and "start as you mean to go on".
I had to do that in Year 11 as well. As Bexiness! and sexysax said, all you can really do is dress smartly, try to look confident (even if you're not) speak clearly and concisely and perhaps have a question ready because they'll probably ask you at the end if you have any. Don't worry about it though- it's not a real interview and the feedback will be useful when you do come to apply for jobs.
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice everyone :biggrin:
Reply 6
A mock-mock interview is your only choice - ask your school if you can arrange one :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Rich_b
A mock-mock interview is your only choice - ask your school if you can arrange one :rolleyes:
Sorry, I'm confused...:confused:
Reply 8
it was sarcasm :p: - don't worry about it too much, after all it is only a mock interview and they will be able to give you advice on improvements afterwards!:smile:
Reply 9
Well, I should know really considering I have my Cambridge interview soon *scared*

But as others have said, speak confidently, maintain eye contact with the interviewer, seem interested, pause before you speak, smile, and be polite. Good luck - and see it as useful for the future.
Reply 10
How did it go?
Reply 11
It went very well thanks, and managed to get the job along with some good feedback comments!
(the job was an office administrator)

The interview took about half an hour, which is what was recommended.
Reply 12
What good comments did you get?
Reply 13
Copied directly from the assessment form:

Competion of application form: Neat and tidy - could have done with more info on 'personal info'
Appearance and favourable impression: Smartly dressed, shook hands, well spoken but a bit quietly spoken
Disposition: Carried himself well - especially asking questions
Clarity of responses: Again a bit quiet but good answers and something else, but I can't read his writing...:rolleyes:
Enthusiasm for hobbies, interests, achievements: Good range of hobbies, but not all listed on application form
Soundness for reason for next career step - ambitions: Showed up well with his questions
Attitude during feedback, discussion: Attentive to constructive criticism and asked questions
Would you employ this student? Yes

Latest

Trending

Trending