The Student Room Group

House of Commons Work Experience?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pursing skiesss
I remembered they said the application will be under consideration for 3 weeks since the deadline. And today is literally 3 weeks...

Exactly! I'm hoping to hear Tuesday (as tomorrow is a bank holiday)

Which department and week did you apply for?
Committee Offices. I guess I applied for 26 June.
I have to get the offer as I had been writing that form from the day they opened the form to the day they closed it! Roughly 1 months constantly thinking about it drive me nut!!!!!
Reply 42
Did anyone apply for the Department of Information Services?
Committee Offices. I guess I applied for 26 June.
I have to get the offer as I had been writing that form from the day they opened the form to the day they closed it! Roughly 1 months constantly thinking about it drive me nut!!!!!

Same here; I'm hoping I'll get a place, if only to ensure that the time I spent on the application will not have been wasted!

I applied for the Department of Chamber and Committee Services.
Original post by katetheamazing
I'm in the process of applying for a work experience placement at the House of Commons (I'm 14 but I would be 15 by the time the placement started). I know it's probably REALLY competitive but I don't know quite how much, so has anyone here got a placement before? Do you know how competitive it is, and what style should I answer the application questions in? I've answered them in a really formal kind of way and I'm not sure if this gets me the best chance of getting a placement! Thanks for reading XD

I did a couple of weeks in the commons in 2014 at 15/16 years old. I was lucky though because my dad worked with a former MP and he managed to sort it out for me. My suggestion is that's probably the easiest way to get in so find someone who knows someone. Although that's probably not possible I just got lucky. In terms of a written application just come across as enthusiastic yet formal as possible. Don't worry too much about the formal part, lots of MPs are quite casual but I would be formal to be on the safe side. Also mention that you are a member of whatever party so that they can see you care.
anyone heard anything yet?
Not yet. I have been sitting on fire since early morning and gradually becoming smoked ham now.
Still waiting!
Original post by Banana00
Still waiting!

Me too!
Original post by metellaest
Me too!

This. wait. is. so. painful.
:eek4::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4:
:eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4:
:eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4:
:eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek3::eek4::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4:
I would try to focus on something else guys. I just remembered that, when I emailed them about a week ago, they told me they would let people know by April 30th :frown:
Original post by popcornjpg
I would try to focus on something else guys. I just remembered that, when I emailed them about a week ago, they told me they would let people know by April 30th :frown:

Good advice - my mum told me to do the same thing.

Thanks for letting us know and good luck to everyone who applied! :h::h:
Original post by popcornjpg

Did you apply for the House of Lords or Commons? I applied for the DCCS in the Commons but my school needs to know what I'm doing by the beginning of April!
Original post by ccloon123
Did you apply for the House of Lords or Commons? I applied for the DCCS in the Commons but my school needs to know what I'm doing by the beginning of April!

Commons. Department of Finance.
Not yet. I have been sitting on fire since early morning and gradually becoming smoked ham now.

Hahaha :h::h:

I'm trying to forget about it, but it's so difficult to!
I applied for Department for Information services and I just opened the portal and it says 'offer' instead of 'under consideration' but I'm not sure what that means - I haven't received an email or anything! I'm hopeful!
Original post by Irisella23
I applied for Department for Information services and I just opened the portal and it says 'offer' instead of 'under consideration' but I'm not sure what that means - I haven't received an email or anything! I'm hopeful!

Mine still says 'Application under consideration'. Sounds like you might have got it; I really hope you were successful! *fingers crossed*
Reply 57
I emailed them a few days ago and they said they anticipate for all applicants to know their outcome by the end of this week?? but still heard no news..
Original post by mars198
I emailed them a few days ago and they said they anticipate for all applicants to know their outcome by the end of this week?? but still heard no news..

Me neither :frown:

Do you think that means either today or tomorrow hopefully?
Reply 59
Original post by metellaest
Me neither :frown:

Do you think that means either today or tomorrow hopefully?

I'm really hoping so!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending