The Student Room Group

HELP! Will I get into trouble for cancelling on a tutor without advance notice?

My tutor is threatening me because I didn't give her one month's advance notice of cancellation even though I am cancelling for personal reasons and also feel like I'm not getting much out of it (it's quite expensive)

My question is, will I get into trouble if I just straight out refuse to pay (just for the lessons I haven't had yet)?
Anyone?
Original post by lightningdoritos
My tutor is threatening me because I didn't give her one month's advance notice of cancellation even though I am cancelling for personal reasons and also feel like I'm not getting much out of it (it's quite expensive)

My question is, will I get into trouble if I just straight out refuse to pay (just for the lessons I haven't had yet)?

Look back at the contract you made with her. How long has she been providing tuition?

If her opinion is backed up by the contract, then she could sue you through the small claims court for the non-payment (if it is worth it for her). If she succeeds in getting judgement against you, it can affect your credit rating.
Original post by Holmstock
Look back at the contract you made with her. How long has she been providing tuition?

If her opinion is backed up by the contract, then she could sue you through the small claims court for the non-payment (if it is worth it for her). If she succeeds in getting judgement against you, it can affect your credit rating.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure what you mean by credit rating? She's been doing lessons for two months now. There wasn't really a contract in the beginning, she just said it to my face?
Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure what you mean by credit rating? She's been doing lessons for two months now. There wasn't really a contract in the beginning, she just said it to my face?

You can enter into an oral contract with associated terms and conditions, so if you agreed to those terms, then she can probably charge you - a lawyer would be able to advise you fully.

Credit rating - read this web page: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report - it includes a section on why your credit rating matters.
Original post by Holmstock
You can enter into an oral contract with associated terms and conditions, so if you agreed to those terms, then she can probably charge you - a lawyer would be able to advise you fully.

Credit rating - read this web page: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report - it includes a section on why your credit rating matters.

I don't think it matters any more, she just angrily told me never to email her again and was borderline racist in her reply. Don't think I'll be seeing her again.
I don't think it matters any more, she just angrily told me never to email her again and was borderline racist in her reply. Don't think I'll be seeing her again.

Ok, so sounds like no comeback. Remember though that it is hard to make money when you are freelance - you really need to be sure of the income stream - a month's cancellation would give her the chance to organise a replacement appointment with someone else.
Reply 7

If you previously agreed to give 1 months notice then that is what is required.

It's extremely unlikely she could/would sue you over it.. but its also very rude to not give a notice period you've already agreed to.

Quick Reply