The Student Room Group

Teenage Pregnancy?

I'm 19 and I am seeing people (from secondary school) having babies after babies. One girl has 2 children and is pregnant with twins. Another girl has two babies and my best friend in secondary school has a son. I understand they are happy and willing to take care of their children. What I don't understand is how are they proud of their choices? I guess you learn to accept it but how can you afford to look after a baby with no qualifications or a job? You're living in a council house and living off benefits.
However, on the other hand. A girl I know got pregnant at 18 but she had A levels so she could get a job now she works full time. I guess it's not so bad if you have some sort of qualifications.
If you have Instagram.. Type in "#teenagepregnancy" so many girls come up especially 15 years old ones. If I ever have a daughter and she got pregnant at 15 I swear to god I will be so angry. What do you guys think? Am I being too judgemental? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Everyone has their own way of how they want their life to go.
Me myself, I wouldn't want kids before I turned 25. Want a good foundations for qualifications/work experience before even contemplating this. =l
Reply 2
Original post by Scienceisgood
Everyone has their own way of how they want their life to go.
Me myself, I wouldn't want kids before I turned 25. Want a good foundations for qualifications/work experience before even contemplating this. =l

I agree. I'm working at the moment and go to University. I want to have a degree and good job. Then get married and have children. I want to enjoy life by going to work, holidays and buying expensive stuff for myself :smile:
The term "teenage pregnancy" doesn't even exist in Asian households :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
The term "teenage pregnancy" doesn't even exist in Asian households :rolleyes:

LMAO! Omg, I'm Asian myself. IF I ever got pregnant I would be killed by both of my parents and sent back to India!
Original post by Riyaax
LMAO! Omg, I'm Asian myself. IF I ever got pregnant I would be killed by both of my parents and sent back to India!

Ahaha same. I don't understand how white teenagers can get their own show about their pregnancies. If I got pregnant I'd get my ass kicked and a one way ticket to India :rolleyes:
What's wrong with them being happy, and proud of what they have? It might not be ideal to you, but if they're content with their lives, leave them be and focus on your own. Stop being so judgemental.
Reply 7
Original post by Meyrin
What's wrong with them being happy, and proud of what they have? It might not be ideal to you, but if they're content with their lives, leave them be and focus on your own. Stop being so judgemental.

Of course they have the right to be proud and happy of what they have e.g. their children. What I meant was how are they proud to be living in a council house and living off benefits? Fair enough if they worked to help take care of their children then I wouldn't be judging them. It's not fair, people pay tax's and then teenage Mothers don't bother to get a job or help to take care of their children.
What good does anger/kicking out do?

It doesn't change the fact that someone's pregnant. Instead you're just risking two lives.

Atleast wjth understanding and support a safe and informed decision can be reached.
Original post by Riyaax
Of course they have the right to be proud and happy of what they have e.g. their children. What I meant was how are they proud to be living in a council house and living off benefits? Fair enough if they worked to help take care of their children then I wouldn't be judging them. It's not fair, people pay tax's and then teenage Mothers don't bother to get a job or help to take care of their children.

I suppose they're still young and perhaps not thinking about it while their children are babies. Perhaps they will when they're older. I've often seen kids who have dropped out of school for various reasons pursue qualifications a few years later, usually when the rest of their peers would be joining the job hunt.
Original post by Riyaax

The welfare state is there to help people like single mothers who have got pregnant and been left by respective fathers.

We have the welfare state to help those in need. They're in need.
Reply 11
Original post by SnooFnoo
What good does anger/kicking out do?

It doesn't change the fact that someone's pregnant. Instead you're just risking two lives.

Atleast wjth understanding and support a safe and informed decision can be reached.

I think personally the best thing to do is for speakers to go into Secondary school and highlight the issue teenage pregnancy. Over the years, it keeps going higher and higher. They are to blame for their actions but I agree they do need support. I just dislike lazy Mothers who rely on benefits.
Original post by Riyaax
I think personally the best thing to do is for speakers to go into Secondary school and highlight the issue teenage pregnancy. Over the years, it keeps going higher and higher. They are to blame for their actions but I agree they do need support. I just dislike lazy Mothers who rely on benefits.

This already exists. We need easier access to contraceptives for under16's, with an emphasis on (more education) surrounding longer term methods imo
Reply 13
Original post by skd1996
What right do you have to judge them? Get off your high horse and actually put yourself in their shoes for a second. They made the difficult choice to keep the child and raise it despite the stigma surrounding teenage pregnancy. Bringing up a child is one of the most difficult tasks.

It's easier to look down on these people than it is to take a step back and realise exactly how much they now have to give up and how hard they have to work if they want to successfully bring up a child.

Not to mention, not everyone is made for education. It's nice to think that everyone can get grade A*-C and go to uni or have a career first- but the reality is there is a large proportion of young adults who, no matter how hard they try, cannot succeed at school. And what about the people who's ideal future is simply being a parent?

If they can support having a child and raising it in a happy home then good on them.

At the end of the day it's their own fault for getting pregnant. They shouldn't be having unprotected sex in the first place. For example, there is the morning after pill and condoms to prevent pregnancy. There are many jobs that don't require grade A*-C. At my local college people can do BTEC in Level 2/3 whilst studying for GCSES.
Fair enough they don't succeed at school, there are plenty of other options. Apprenticeships or doing work experience at a Primary school? You can work as a TA after certain amount of experience.
I agree, if they can support a child financially then that's good on them. I said "I dislike lazy Mothers who rely on benefits." There are some courses at University that don't even require GCSE's and they accept equivalents. There is a Foundation degree option?
Reply 14
This already exists. We need easier access to contraceptives for under16's, with an emphasis on (more education) surrounding longer term methods imo

Ah, I agree! Like come on, a girl my age (19) already has two children and is now pregnant with twins. She doesn't even work. How is she going to financially take care of 4 children? Oh yes *benefits* :rolleyes:
Original post by Riyaax
At the end of the day it's their own fault for getting pregnant. They shouldn't be having unprotected sex in the first place. For example, there is the morning after pill and condoms to prevent pregnancy. There are many jobs that don't require grade A*-C. At my local college people can do BTEC in Level 2/3 whilst studying for GCSES.
Fair enough they don't succeed at school, there are plenty of other options. Apprenticeships or doing work experience at a Primary school? You can work as a TA after certain amount of experience.
I agree, if they can support a child financially then that's good on them. I said "I dislike lazy Mothers who rely on benefits." There are some courses at University that don't even require GCSE's and they accept equivalents. There is a Foundation degree option?

You can use all the contraceptives in existence there's still a chance of pregnancy.
Original post by Riyaax
Ah, I agree! Like come on, a girl my age (19) already has two children and is now pregnant with twins. She doesn't even work. How is she going to financially take care of 4 children? Oh yes *benefits* :rolleyes:

And that's what the welfare state it for. Helping those in need.
Reply 17
You can use all the contraceptives in existence there's still a chance of pregnancy.

But how many people can really get pregnant whilst using it? Hence why it's always is mentioned. So the positives must outweigh the negatives. The age limit to have sex is 16 yet there are 15 year old teenagers having sex. It's sad the tax payers money is getting wasted on this.
Reply 18
And that's what the welfare state it for. Helping those in need.

LOL she's had four children in 4 years whilst leaving school. That's what you call in need? Right okay.
Original post by Riyaax
. I just dislike lazy Mothers who rely on benefits.

Which has nothing to do with age.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending