The Student Room Group

Benzoyl peroxide Questions

1. What is the best concerntration to start with? e.g 2% 5% 10%

2. Are there any side effects e.g itchy skin?

3. Can it be bought without a prescription from boots/superdrug?

4. How often does it have to be applied?

Thanks i have read stuff on the internet but i want your experiences please. I want to try it because basically i have tried lots of other things and they dont work so might aswell try something new. Thanks
Reply 1
Depends on the severity. It would be best to ask your Dr. and there are side effect to everything.
Reply 2
It';s not bad for mild acne. Start with lower concentrations - 5% is probably the most effective without overly drying your skin. Main side effect is irritation, for which you can just reduce the frequency you use it, however, more annoyingly, it;ll bleach clothing/bedding/towels etc etc

I don't think it's prescription only, unless you have one which also contains antimicrobials.
Reply 3
Anonymous1783

1. Start of with 5% and build it up to 10%.

2. It stings a bit when you put it on, and it can dry out your skin if you use too much. Also, will bleach clothes if you get it on them.

3. Yep, it can be bought without perscription from Boots and the like. Comes under many names, but 'Quinoderm' is the main one I think.

4. Applied 2/3 times daily
Reply 4
Sync
It stings a bit when you put it on, and it can dry out your skin if you use too much.

And make you go bright red like sunburn all over if you are sensitive to it - do a "patch test" first to check!

Sync
Also, will bleach clothes if you get it on them.

And your pillow cases and towels:redface:
Reply 5
I'm going to be controversial here and say that 2.5% was the one that worked best for me (on mild acne, although I've known people with more severe acne who've found it works too), although the only one I've found is Oxy On The Spot. Which is non-prescription.

Have a look at http://www.acne.org - has some interesting tips for a benzoyl peroxide-based cleansing regime. A lot of it's basic, but it's what I used and my skin cleared completely. Good stuff.
Reply 6
I started with 10 percent, it was the oxy action stuff i got it off ebay. It did make my skin really dry at first and if i put a lot on now it still does, but it does work and ive had no new spots since i started with it, i didnt have loads to begin with but im just left with some red marks now which ive no idea how to shift, i just hope they'll heal up if i keep using the benzoyl peroxide
Reply 7
Thanks for all your help

does it dry on the skin or stay runny, if you know what i mean also how long would it take to dry so could it be left on over night?

I think i am going to get some though
Reply 8
It dries dead quickly unless you put gallons of it on, the oxy stuff is made so it fades as well so you can have it on during the day
Reply 9
It drys pretty quickly (about 5 minutes to be absorbed into the skin). Nobody would have any idea that you're using it really.
Reply 10
Do not try 10%, it dried out my skin so bad it was like the hide of an african elephant.

This was also during exam time and I was studying during the night at uni, had to keep nipping to the loo to keep applying moisturiser, not a wise move!
Reply 11
Stone
Do not try 10%, it dried out my skin so bad it was like the hide of an african elephant.

10% worked fine for me, it depends on the person. It makes sense to start off lower and work up though.
Reply 12
10% worked fine for me, it depends on the person. It makes sense to start off lower and work up though.

It depends on the drug formulation as well. Creams are less drying than Gel based BP's.

I've tried most of the available Over The Counter BP formulations, and finding quinoderm 5% to be the best. It has an emollient so you don't really need a moisturiser (providing that you don't over-do it)

Remember, you have to give it a while for it to take effect (6 Weeks, longer if you have persistent acne.) and initially, it may cause your acne to worsen.

After you got everything under-control, don't slack off. Until you have outgrown it, it will come back.

You can get a rough estimate on when you will outgrow it, from your gender, age of onset and your parent's acne history.

Males tend it have it worse than females, but the length of acne onset is generally shorter. Most males will outgrow it around 21'ish.
If your acne begins in the late teens, then theres a good chance you have it throughout adulthood (known as adult acne, age 23+).
Reply 13
I think people who used benzoyl peroxide will agree it is the best thing for acne they have tried (for me anyway). But is there another product just as reliable that helps fade the red marks it leaves behind? I ve read that a lot of it is just time, but obvioulsy if there is a way to help them heal that would be good. I havent got loads, just like some marks on each cheek.
Reply 14
2% or 5% works best. Dont try 10% because theres no limit to how much can be put in it.
Reply 15
Do you have to be over 18 or anything to buy it?
(probably a stupid question)
Reply 16
Anonymous1783
Do you have to be over 18 or anything to buy it?
(probably a stupid question)

Nope :smile:
Reply 17
Oxy from boots, anyone can buy
toffee2
But is there another product just as reliable that helps fade the red marks it leaves behind?

Check out Freederm.
http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/product_8319_freederm-gel-25g.html
Reply 19
Anonymous1783

Thanks i have read stuff on the internet but i want your experiences please. I want to try it because basically i have tried lots of other things and they dont work so might aswell try something new. Thanks

this stuff is amazing. OXY make tubes of it on the shelf at either 5%,(bout £3) or you can buy OXY10 at 10%. check ingredients as not all oxy products have it. i got mine from boots. i didnt have any side effects but at 10% you might get redness/ithing/peeling. it should be applied i think weither once or twice a day for a max or 14 days though the spot tends to go in about 3-7 max.i recommend this above all other spot stuff eg clearasil none of which have any scientific basis. i actually got prescribed some cream with this as a n active ingredient frm my doc. so it is GOOD!

EDIT: if you have really bad skin, or it wont go, do not be afraid to see your doc and go on some antibiotics which clear them up proper.also see the doc if the spots are not just on the face as it will be hard to apply the cream and in the longer term after you stop using the cream it will just come back. the creamis better for occasional spots rather than long term acne

Latest

Trending

Trending